Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 165251 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
If Dusty is only holding off until the end of the year to back himself in to deliver and get a better deal then he's being smart. He will get another 3 Brownlow votes tonight.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

tony_montana

Club and Dusty just waiting for confirmation of how much the salary cap will increase by under the new CBA before finalising the deal.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Shaun Grigg makes massive call on Dustin Martin s future at Tigers

7Sport
May 28, 2017, 1:58 pm

Shaun Grigg was asked to rate Dustin Martin's chances of staying at Richmond out of 10, and his answer might worry some Tigers fans.

Martin is one of the biggest names among the players who become eligible for free agency at the end of the 2017 campaign.

He's been linked to Essendon and North Melbourne in recent weeks, and when asked about his teammate on AFL Game Day on Sunday, Grigg wasn't 100% certain Martin would stay.

"Last year I would have said Deledio was 10 out of 10 to stay so I’ve got no idea," Grigg said.
Grigg (centre) and Martin (R). Image: Getty

"I’m hopeful, I really want him to so I’ll say about an 8."

North are poised to offer Martin a long-term deal believed to be worth at least $1 million a year, Fairfax Media reports.

The deal would be expected to last until at least 2022 for the 25-year-old goal-kicking midfielder, who has previously told Richmond he will not make a decision on his future until the end of the current season.

Richmond have offered Martin a five-year deal believed to also be worth $1 million per season.

Richmond's football boss Neil Balme said the club was in constant contact with Martin's agent and was not aware of specific offers from rival clubs.

"We accept that this is the way it is and we completely understand it's Dustin's right to consider his future," Balme told Fairfax.

A best-afield performance from Martin helped Richmond to a pulsating 15-point win over Essendon in the AFL's Dreamtime at the 'G clash on Saturday night.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/a/35672328/shaun-grigg-makes-massive-call-on-dustin-martins-future-at-tigers/#page1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick says “no foundation” to rumour of massive $1.6 million offer for Dustin Martin

Gilbert Gardiner,
Herald Sun
1 June 2017

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick is not worried about the protracted contract talks with Dustin Martin, and rubbished the $1.6m figure being bandied around for the rock star midfielder.

Martin has been linked with several clubs including North Melbourne and Essendon, with most speculation claiming the Bombers are prepared to shell out $1.6m a season for Tigers matchwinner.

“1.6 yeah, makes me wish I was Dusty. It’d be nice,” Hardwick said.

“It is what it is, it’s the age that we’re in, the figures get bandied around.

“No one is any more aware than us, those figures are easy to say. Whether it’s true or not, I don’t know.

“It’s easy for an SEN commentator to say, but there is no foundation to that basis.

“We’re not too worried about it, we know where it is, once we know more you’ll know more.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/damien-hardwick-says-no-foundation-to-rumour-of-massive-16-million-offer-for-dustin-martin/news-story/67818339dbced83e0c8504ffa4784296

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond success should keep Martin at Tigerland: Dane Swan (Foxsports)
« Reply #199 on: June 05, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
Richmond success should keep Martin at Tigerland

June 5, 2017 7:38pm
Max Laughton
FOX SPORTS

Martin has been linked to a number of clubs, including North Melbourne and Essendon on as much as $1.6 million per season, as the restricted free agent plays some of the best footy of his career.

But Swan — who has spent plenty of time with Martin outside of footy — believes the star is driven by on-field success, and that the Tigers are close to achieving that.

“He’s in a very good spot, he loves Richmond and he’s playing some incredible footy there,” Swan told Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight.

“And I think Richmond is just on the verge of some success which they haven’t had for a long time. Speaking to Dusty, I know that’s something that drives him, not just the big contract which he’s gonna get no matter what but playing finals.

“There’s light at the end of the tunnel with Richmond ... and I think that’s going to go a long way to helping him stay there.”

Martin, who finished third in the Brownlow Medal last season, has arguably been even better this season. He is currently a close second to last year’s winner Patrick Dangerfield in most betting markets for the award.

The recently retired Swan revealed that Martin has been participating in extra training sessions to keep himself ahead of the rest of the league.

He also praised Richmond for allowing Martin to travel to New Zealand to visit his dad during the club’s bye week.

“I’m sure he’ll do the right thing, he’s been doing extra sessions, boxing once or twice a week to keep himself fit and ahead of the rest of the pack,” Swan said.

“So I’m sure he’ll be doing whatever he can over there to get himself right for in two weeks’ time with whoever they play.”

Swan joked that Martin’s bye week exploits wouldn’t be quite the same as what the pair have gotten up to in previous times away from footy.

“Yeah, times have changed a little bit. There’s a lot more camera phones these days so you can’t get away with what you could,” he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dane-swan-says-richmonds-success-this-season-will-go-a-long-way-towards-keeping-dustin-martin-at-tigerland/news-story/bdfaff131cb3c3cb37885a86b7a8c3c6

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
If this is the case then I really hope we are not seeing yet another false dawn.

We have some real weaknesses in our list that need to be addressed before I think we will see sustained success.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers want Dusty to make a call soon: Gale (afl site)
« Reply #201 on: June 17, 2017, 06:20:12 PM »
Tigers want Dusty to make a call soon

afl.com.au
17 June 2017

RICHMOND will seek an answer from superstar Dustin Martin about his future in the next few weeks.

Martin, 25, will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season and has expressed his desire to put off contract talks until the end of the season.

Tigers CEO Brendon Gale told ABC Radio on Saturday the club wanted an indication from Martin and his manager Ralph Carr about what the powerful midfielder would do.

"We're probably approaching that time where we'd like to get a sense of where their heads are at because we do have to plan (our) salary cap and other players, so I guess we're approaching that point," Gale said.

"They’ve (Martin and Carr) indicated they’d like to hold off until the end of the year and that’s sort of where it’s at."

Along with Greater Western Sydney onballer Josh Kelly and Fremantle captain Nat Fyfe, Martin is among the highly sought-after out-of-contract players in the game.

Gale pointed out Richmond held an advantage over other clubs in the bid for Martin.

"He's a restricted free agent … so we've always got the right to match any offer," Gale said.

"We do have that in the background but I'm fairly confident it won't come to that."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-17/tigers-want-dustin-martin-to-make-a-call-soon

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Looked injured today for mine.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
Looked injured today for mine.

Unquestionably. Lacked is normal explosiveness around the clearances.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
So on one hand Benny says the club wants a decision to they can plan

And a few paragraphs later says he's a restricted and we can match any bid

A slight contradiction right there me thinks  ::)

But no surprise
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:04:05 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
Martin has said all season that he wants to wait until the end of the season, and we have said we are happy to do so.

Now we are asking for an indication of where he is heading.

In light of our oft repeated line that we are comfortable with things and that the dialogue is still open between the camps, this doesn't make much sense.

Dusty would be plain crazy to reveal his hand until the player pay negotiations are finalised.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Martin has said all season that he wants to wait until the end of the season, and we have said we are happy to do so.

In light of our oft repeated line that we are comfortable with things and that the dialogue is still open between the camps, this doesn't make much sense.

Dusty would be plain crazy to reveal his hand until the player pay negotiations are finalised.

Not Benny's best interview
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame

Not Benny's best interview

Must admit I didn't actually hear it, only read what has been reported.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
So in my hand Benny says the club wants a decision to they can plan

And a few paragraphs later says he's a restricted and we can match any bid

A slight contradiction right there me thinks  ::)

But no surprise

Wonder if the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

Different tone to the interview on 360 the other night.

Perhaps dialogue has been shut down, Ralph has a lot on his plate touring with Elvis ATM

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Surely Halfstep will finaly get the arse if Martin bails...
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.