Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 165267 times)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #600 on: August 21, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »
Is Martin going to leave?

Who knows

And with this circus I seriuosly am bordering on not caring...

From just about done, to another Ralph stunt which Dusty and his old man have allowed

Over it TBBH

I respect a manager doing the best for his client, but Ralph is an entertainment manager. It's not the first time he has done this and imo it's highly distracting for the club. Did I read here he is Bolton's manager too? Would prefer it for the club to avoid dealing with him ever again.
Think he is shai boltons manger too  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #601 on: August 21, 2017, 10:17:42 PM »
Is Martin going to leave?

Who knows

And with this circus I seriuosly am bordering on not caring...

From just about done, to another Ralph stunt which Dusty and his old man have allowed

Over it TBBH

I respect a manager doing the best for his client, but Ralph is an entertainment manager. It's not the first time he has done this and imo it's highly distracting for the club. Did I read here he is Bolton's manager too? Would prefer it for the club to avoid dealing with him ever again.

Yep he is Bolton's manager as well. So next year should be another circus from Carr Entertainment

Get the idea of him doing the best for his client but that doesn't seem to be his mantra ever.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #602 on: August 21, 2017, 10:33:18 PM »
I'm not a fan of Carr by any means. But in this case he has got it right, holding out on negotiations has added truckloads to Dusty's value. It's been a long time since a player has had the club over a barrel like this. Good on him. There is no way that the club will let him go, there are no amount of Peggy/Benny roadshows that could explain why we lost our best player.

*Any offer by North should only be considered at around 50% of face value, as that is about how much chance they have of being able to pay it, unless they reinstate the pokies or move to Tasmania.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #603 on: August 21, 2017, 11:11:13 PM »
Trade Bolton to Freo for Balic (if we can somehow work Apeness into the deal, even better)....will be heading home end of next year anyway..... :shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
North Melbourne could have up to $2 million to throw at Dusty (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #604 on: August 22, 2017, 03:16:28 AM »
Dustin Martin to Kangaroos: $2 million contract, Josh Kelly out, Brad Scott to New Zealand to meet Martin’s father Shane.

Michael Randall,
Herald Sun
22 August 2017

BE afraid, Richmond. Be very afraid. Josh Kelly appears increasingly likely to stay at GWS and that leaves North Melbourne with plenty of dough to throw at Dustin Martin.

The SuperFooty Podcast discuss the biggest fish in the AFL — Josh Kelly and Dustin Martin — and Mick Warner believes the GWS star is out of the picture for North Melbourne, leaving the Kangaroos with a giant $2 million war chest to throw at players including Martin.

“Josh Kelly is definitely out of the race to go (to North Melbourne), maybe anywhere, it sounds like he’s going to stay at the Giants, which means that North Melbourne have suddenly got $2 million,” Mick said.

“Why wouldn’t they just throw it at Dustin Martin and then why wouldn’t he look at that money?”

An annual wage of up to $1.5 million has been touted for the Brownlow Medal favourite.

Anthony Hudson said he suspected Martin would say, but believed he would be looking closely at the big offers.
Josh Kelly appears increasingly likely to stay at GWS. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Reports this morning suggesting North were preparing to fly Brad Scott to New Zealand to meet with Martin’s father Shane were this morning dismissed as totally “laughable” by the club.

Warner said he was in communication with the Kangaroos this morning and he says the club has dismissed the reports in The Australian that officials were to sit down with Shane this week in a bid to persuade Dusty to sign with the club.

Speculation remains rife over Martin’s future, with a number of clubs lining up to bid for the in-demand Tiger.

The Roos were hoping to lure both Martin and Kelly to the club this off-season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/north-melbourne-could-have-up-to-2-million-to-throw-at-dustin-martin/news-story/b378bda3b0b2f64db5fad8b51bbe8cab

dwaino

« Reply #605 on: August 22, 2017, 07:39:24 AM »
The desperation is bordering pathetic.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #606 on: August 22, 2017, 07:55:35 AM »
If he goes he goes

As long as we receive decent compo

The idea of 1.5ml over 7 years is crazy and if that's required, then cya.

If he leaves over money then he's a pathetic mercenary, our offer is massive. If he shows loyalty, then great. It's up to Dusty now.

The excuse used was that we needed to show success, we can finish top 4 and he's considering the 18th side. This doesn't make sense to me. If he wants to play for a minnow in front of 17 members, then good luck to him.

In saying all that, I think he will stay

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #607 on: August 22, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
Forget N0rf for a moment
Essendon has also been touted as a likely suitor although they have remained tight lipped.On a number of occasions now including last night on Talking Footy and again this morning on SEN Tim Watson has praised the way Ralph Carr has handled this negotiation.

What makes me take notice of Tim's comments more than anyone's is that there was almost a smugness about them.

Maybe I'm reading into something that's not there but if the Bombers and Norf were both offering more than the Tigers you would choose the bombers over Norf if it was soley about the $$$
Thoughts?

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #608 on: August 22, 2017, 08:34:25 AM »
Forget N0rf for a moment
Essendon has also been touted as a likely suitor although they have remained tight lipped.On a number of occasions now including last night on Talking Footy and again this morning on SEN Tim Watson has praised the way Ralph Carr has handled this negotiation.

What makes me take notice of Tim's comments more than anyone's is that there was almost a smugness about them.

Maybe I'm reading into something that's not there but if the Bombers and Norf were both offering more than the Tigers you would choose the bombers over Norf if it was soley about the $$$
Thoughts?

I agree that Tim Watson's comments on this are interesting, but.....

I can't see the Bombers getting him unless they are more focussed on the now than the future. They have some pretty good players on that list that are going to want to get paid. In a year or two Joe Daniher is going to be looking at some serious coin for starters.

I am firmly in the camp that says if you pay a player this much money, you don't have a lot left for the rest of the talent you have and it will compromise your ability to win a premiership in the future.

Offline Beans

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #609 on: August 22, 2017, 08:42:57 AM »
As much as I love Dusty the team is more important than the individual. Did the Hawks go bad after Buddy left? How about Geelong and Ablett? Crows and Danger? We've even done better after Ty left  :rollin
Seriously enough is enough. Be prepared to let him go.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #610 on: August 22, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »
Just speculating that for North to offer 7x 1.5m then Dusty has at the very least has told them he wants to stay at Richmond.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #611 on: August 22, 2017, 09:08:13 AM »
Just speculating that for North to offer 7x 1.5m then Dusty has at the very least has told them he wants to stay at Richmond.

Maybe,  but it doesn't mean much. Ralph Carr will be telling Richmond that Dusty is seriously considering North's offer, that Essendon are interested, etc. etc

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #612 on: August 22, 2017, 09:13:49 AM »
For the record Id love for Dusty to stay but.... if he decides to leave for more money then good luck to him. Simple
The club has been extremely supportive of Dustin throughout his development as a player and Individual and I'm sure he would not want to bend us over if he was moving on.

Having said that its always the quiet clubs to look out for like Hawthorn etc.
You could build the team around a player like Dusty and they are proven at putting together great lists that achieve results.

Offline Beans

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #613 on: August 22, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »
The other thing that is peeing me off is that North are a financial basket case and are propped up by the AFL equalisation fund. Shouldn't the AFL step in an tell North that an offer like that is financially irresponsible and to pull their head in, or are they complicit in this?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #614 on: August 22, 2017, 09:36:55 AM »
The hysteria here is unbelievable.

All these so called reports are unsubstantiated. The club has made a firm offer to Dusty and Carr. It is more than reasonable. I have heard he has accepted them in principle. Some fine detail needed still to be sorted.

Dusty loves the club. If he goes back on his agreement then he is a mug but I don't see that happening.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.