Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 165254 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #750 on: August 26, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »
Starting to wonder if this is or will impact on the playing group.
Reckon if he is staying will announce before finals, give the group a big lift too.
If not the exact opposite  :(

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #751 on: August 26, 2017, 01:50:10 PM »

Thats exactly right,  and as i mentioned earlier, you dont have to be a rocket scientist to know Dusty is going to new zealand to see his dad during the break which has been on the cards since he went back to NZ  ::) then the media add a bit of sauce to it claiming hes going to get his dads opinion on it and bang, the frenzy is on. He was always going to announce it next week, a lot of people in here have been played by the media

"Always going to announce it next week"? I thought they orginally said the end of the season. Last time I checked our season doesn't end tomorrow, so why announce anything next week?

And if he decides to take the money and run do you think announcing it next week which is what you are suggesting is going to happen is the right thing to do by the RFC a week out from finals?

As i said yes media are in a frenzy over this but this frenzy has also been created and feed by Dusty's team (read the Merkin) that as they say is a fact.

I will ask again who do people think told CH7 that Dusty was heading to NZ next week? It wasn't the club. It wasnt Dusty. So that doesnt exactly leave a plethora of options.

I hope he stays, i really do but just can't seeing it happening now. Lack of action by the one person who can end it is speaking louder than any words
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #752 on: August 26, 2017, 02:54:38 PM »
Someone called his old man 'Damir' which I think is pretty apt.

tony_montana

« Reply #753 on: August 26, 2017, 03:35:45 PM »

Thats exactly right,  and as i mentioned earlier, you dont have to be a rocket scientist to know Dusty is going to new zealand to see his dad during the break which has been on the cards since he went back to NZ  ::) then the media add a bit of sauce to it claiming hes going to get his dads opinion on it and bang, the frenzy is on. He was always going to announce it next week, a lot of people in here have been played by the media

"Always going to announce it next week"? I thought they orginally said the end of the season. Last time I checked our season doesn't end tomorrow, so why announce anything next week?

And if he decides to take the money and run do you think announcing it next week which is what you are suggesting is going to happen is the right thing to do by the RFC a week out from finals?

As i said yes media are in a frenzy over this but this frenzy has also been created and feed by Dusty's team (read the Merkin) that as they say is a fact.

I will ask again who do people think told CH7 that Dusty was heading to NZ next week? It wasn't the club. It wasnt Dusty. So that doesnt exactly leave a plethora of options.

I hope he stays, i really do but just can't seeing it happening now. Lack of action by the one person who can end it is speaking louder than any words

I edited my post at 1:43, interesting... the reason I edited it was for the very reason you posted nevertheless.. I have been told 3 weeks ago that the deal was done and it would be announced at the end of the H&A season ie next week. If it's not announced next week then we all know he's gone and I'll wear it if I'm wrong.

I will ask again, is it really that hard to work out that he was going to NZ next week? Did the merkin have to leak it? You don't think there are journalists out there that could've worked it out, hell, we're not in the game and knew he goes to see his dad in NZ at every opportunity which includes bye weeks...  so not sure why you think a massive piece of dirty work has been committed here by the merkin, think there is a bit of an overreaction going on

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #754 on: August 26, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #755 on: August 26, 2017, 08:45:25 PM »
I tend to agree with the DOC and TM on this subject. Be surprised if he leaves.

Question...

If anyone here were a player from the midfield group at Richmond what would be your position or how would you feel if you knew he'd stay for 1.5 m / season?

Would you be happy or peeed off or would you be ok knowing if he's in the team it's your best chance at a premiership but also know that your next contract will be less if he stays for that amount of money and not less?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #756 on: August 26, 2017, 09:34:58 PM »
Brownlow Medal favourite Dustin Martin will spend time next week in New Zealand visiting his father during the bye week. It's expected he will discuss whether to remain a Tiger or accept the riches on offer elsewhere once the season is done.

Should he accept the Tigers' seven-year offer worth about $8 million, he could announce that as early as next week, as his manager Ralph Carr told Fairfax Media. However, North Melbourne has tabled a $10 million deal, with the Roos desperate to land either the Tigers' star or Greater Western Sydney's Josh Kelly.

Martin will return in time to Punt Rd to rejoin full training before the opening week of the finals.

Former Richmond assistant coach David King said should Martin leave the Tigers would have "their whole build ripped out".

King said Martin was "entitled to make as much money as he likes, because they are only in it for an average of seven years" but said it would be "destroying" for a club.

Source: The Age

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin could make decision on his future this week after flying to New Zealand

STEPHEN DRILL,
Herald Sun
27 August 2017

RICHMOND is under pressure to increase its offer to Dustin Martin, with the gun midfielder to decide his football future as early as Monday.

The Sunday Herald Sun has confirmed that Martin will arrive in New Zealand on Monday.

He will meet his father Shane in Auckland where they will discuss his contract deal along with manager Ralph Carr.

Martin has been made aware he only has one chance to sign a deal that could set him up for a lifetime and must maximise his payday.

“The ball is in Richmond’s court,” a source said.

It’s understood no decision has been made yet and Martin will be choosing between a $1.5m deal at North Melbourne or $1.1 million a year at Richmond, which it has refused to increase.

Both deals are over seven years so Martin would have to give up $2.8 million to stay with the Tigers.

It’s possible a decision could be announced this week, which would likely keep him at Richmond.

A delay until after the finals likely means Martin will be wearing blue and white stripes next year.

But despite the threat of Martin leaving, a club insider who asked not to be named said he was confident Martin would stay.

“The bigger picture will come into play and the dollars and cents of the two contracts won’t matter,” the insider said.

“If he’s a Brownlow Medallist at Richmond he’ll make a quarter of that up this year — 20 years into the future that’s going to be worth so much more.”

Dustin’s father Shane has been forced to watch all his son’s games on TV after he was deported because of his alleged links to the Rebels motorcycle club.

Richmond legend Francis Bourke said that Martin had every right to make the best choice possible for himself.

He said that Richmond’s best chance of keeping Martin was to play good football.

“As far as I’m concerned, I hope he stays. You would argue that your instincts would be sated by being in a successful organisation,” he said.

Bourke who was in Richmond’s 1967 premiership, which was the first flag since World War Two, said this crop of Tigers were on the verge of something special.

“They’ve got a chance to put themselves in a unique position. That’s what football is all about,” he said.

Martin will line up in a must win match for the Tigers against St Kilda on Sunday at the MCG.

If Richmond wins it would seal a top-four berth and a double chance in the finals.

Richmond cheersquad chairman Gerard Egan said that while he desperately wanted Martin to stay on, he hoped the gun would do “whatever made him happy.”

“It’s a lot of money North are offering. But Richmond has more to offer,” he said.

“We play at the MCG in front of 60,000 people on a regular basis, we’re not selling games to Tasmania and playing in front of 15,000 regularly,” he said.

“If North pay Dusty $1.5m a year what’s that do to the rest of the playing list. Dusty can do so much, but if there’s nothing around him. You can’t do it all by yourself.”

Richmond declined to comment.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-could-make-decision-on-his-future-this-week-after-flying-to-new-zealand/news-story/4b35b081e52a82114bde38329236bb21

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #758 on: August 26, 2017, 09:47:58 PM »
From Tony Sheahen's twitter page:

"Latest oil is Dusty wants to stay a Tiger, his Dad wants to listen to North Melbourne"

I wonder if Old Man Dusty is earning a quid or relying on young bloke Dusty to provide for him?
Sums up a lot of my suspicions.

So Dusty wants to stay  ::)

If that's the case there is no need for Dad to listen to anything else

Only person he should be listening to is his son

And as for his son, stand up and tell your Dad & moronic manager that YOU have DECIDED and end this circus now

What a crock

Is the old man a bit like Damir Dokic or Tomics old man.

Seems like it.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #759 on: August 26, 2017, 11:22:55 PM »

"Latest oil is Dusty wants to stay a Tiger, his Dad wants to listen to North Melbourne"

I wonder if Old Man Dusty is earning a quid or relying on young bloke Dusty to provide for him?

And as for his son, stand up and tell your Dad & moronic manager that YOU have DECIDED and end this circus now

What a crock

Seems like it.

Or maybe he is just like any father worth his salt who wants to make sure that his son has all the information on which to base a decision which will greatly affect his future.

I am not convinced that Dusty's old man has anything but the best intentions for his son when decision time comes.

If I was in Dusty's position and asked my father for his advice, the first thing he would tell me is to make sure I had all the facts before I considered anything.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #760 on: August 27, 2017, 08:29:42 AM »

What a crock

Seems like it.

Or maybe he is just like any father worth his salt who wants to make sure that his son has all the information on which to base a decision which will greatly affect his future.

I am not convinced that Dusty's old man has anything but the best intentions for his son when decision time comes.

If I was in Dusty's position and asked my father for his advice, the first thing he would tell me is to make sure I had all the facts before I considered anything.
Well said Slipper.

As a parent you only have your child's best interest at heart, so if it is true that Dusty is going across to have a chat to his dad about it, good on him. I'm tipping his old man is the only person in this world that is thinking about his son wholly with this decision.

But to be totally honest I think Dusty is just going over to see his old man, the rest is all just media poo.
And I think it says a lot about Dusty as a person that he loves and cares for his dad like he obviously does. There are a lot of kids Dusty's age that couldn't give a poo about anything or anyone.

Dusty will make the right decision for Dusty and as much as that might haunt us all I'm happy with that.
The kid has been nothing but an absolute star for this club and he deserves everything he can get from footy as it doesn't last long.
In saying all that I think 100% he will stay a Tiger.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #761 on: August 27, 2017, 08:31:19 AM »
Great post BT  :clapping
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #762 on: August 27, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »
Fun Fact for Dusty and his dad to consider.

#Norf are a minnow club and are know as the gypsy club of the AFL.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #763 on: August 27, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »
Fun Fact for Dusty and his dad to consider.

#Norf are a minnow club and are know as the gypsy club of the AFL.
Fun fact...
I hate North more than most but the facts are they have won two premierships in the last 20 years and we haven't won one for 37.

And wasn't it North that beat us in our last finals game?

We may have 70K members but that doesn't make us anything more than just a well supported club. We have been the minnows on field in my lifetime.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #764 on: August 27, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »
Taking off my Yellow & Black glasses and draining my blood for a second.
We are the laughing stock of the comp the last 40 years - Time to change all that!