Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 165260 times)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #765 on: August 27, 2017, 11:10:56 AM »
Fun Fact for Dusty and his dad to consider.

#Norf are a minnow club and are know as the gypsy club of the AFL.

Fun Fact #2
Norf will be playing 8 home games in Tasmania when the deal with Hawks expires in a few years
Fun Fact #3
There is audio of Dusty describing playing in Tassie as 5h1te
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #766 on: August 27, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »
Caro has echoed my sentiments, which are that leaving for $2-2.5 million over 7 years is silly.

He will lose 45% of it to tax, and after paying manager commissions etc will probably see half of it at best. It's a lot of money to us, but honestly what's $150,000/year extra to a guy making a 7-figure salary? Is he going to leave his mates and become the next Gary Ablett playing for a dogsh!t club for those peanuts? I don't think so.

And I also genuinely don't believe either Carr or Shane are pushing him to take the money at North. I think they want Dusty to be happy but also extract as much money as possible from RFC. I don't think they want him to take the highest offer and end up unhappy.

They have no reason to make a decision now. Dusty is playing great football and I think they are drawing it out as long as possible to see if RFC might up their offer to say $9 million for 7 years.

Would be shattered if he left, thrilled if he stays. But if he leaves I think he will request a trade so that RFC is compensated for his loss. I don't think he's a money-hungry dog that would screw the club and his friends over.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #767 on: August 27, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »
Talking to parents of a RFC player at the VFL just now and they said that none of the players have any idea as to what Dusty's decision is.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #768 on: August 27, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »
I am actually starting to feel a little more confident he will stay.

No idea why, just the old gut feel. Could also be cholera.......

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #769 on: August 27, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
Heard a whisper that he'll announce he's signing with us on Tuesday.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #770 on: August 27, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
Just on this, do you think our playing group will perform better knowing he has signed or if he stays unsigned..

I get the feeling that if he signs there will be a collective mental sigh of relief that hes staying..

I would hate to think any comfort would slip back in when we are so close
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #771 on: August 28, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
Stevo over there reporting every minute of every day for 7.

FFS hate that smug dick.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #772 on: August 28, 2017, 01:04:33 PM »
Stevo over there reporting every minute of every day for 7.

FFS hate that smug dick.

same
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #773 on: August 28, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »
Dustin Martin contract in Auckland with Shane Martin: Richmond deal

Herald Sun
28 August 2017

DUSTIN Martin has arrived in Auckland for contract talks with his father Shane and his manager Ralph Carr.

Yesterday the Sunday Herald Sun confirmed Martin would depart Melbourne after Richmond’s game against St Kilda to talk over his options.

The pressure is on Richmond to increase its offer with Martin understood to be choosing between a $1.5m deal at North Melbourne or $1.1 million a year at Tigers.

Both deals are over seven years so Martin would have to give up $2.8 million to stay with the Tigers.

It’s possible a decision could be announced this week, which would likely keep him at Richmond.

Throughout the season, Richmond has allowed Martin the time to visit his father who was deported for his links to the Rebels motorcycle gang.

He was flown to New Zealand by the Government in April, 2016, after Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said he failed to meet the minimum character requirements to remain in Australia.

Any delay on a decision until after the finals likely means Martin will be wearing blue and white stripes next year.

But despite the threat of Martin leaving, a club insider who asked not to be named said he was confident Martin would stay.

“The bigger picture will come into play and the dollars and cents of the two contracts won’t matter,” the insider said.

“If he’s a Brownlow Medallist at Richmond he’ll make a quarter of that up this year — 20 years into the future that’s going to be worth so much more.”

Dustin’s father Shane has been forced to watch all his son’s games on TV after he was deported because of his alleged links to the Rebels motorcycle club.

Richmond legend Francis Bourke said that Martin had every right to make the best choice possible for himself.

He said that Richmond’s best chance of keeping Martin was to play good football.

“As far as I’m concerned, I hope he stays. You would argue that your instincts would be sated by being in a successful organisation,” he said.

Bourke who was in Richmond’s 1967 premiership, which was the first flag since World War Two, said this crop of Tigers were on the verge of something special.

“They’ve got a chance to put themselves in a unique position. That’s what football is all about,” he said.

Dustin Martin arrives at Auckland Airport with his manager today

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-arrives-in-new-zealand-to-discuss-future-plans-with-father-shane/news-story/0ac4ce5724db77ad264defc961c2211e

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #774 on: August 28, 2017, 06:10:58 PM »
blobbo finally talking some sense. I am pretty confident he wont be going to go to the gypsy kings.

Mark Robinson said Martin had to decide what he wanted from his football career, but believed he owed the club.

“Does he spend eight years building to this very point where Richmond have got a double chance and they’re having a home final (in front of) 90,000 (at the) MCG?” Robbo said.

“Or does he go to North Melbourne for an extra $2.8 million over seven years and then start another five-six year build?

What that football club has done for him — and I know he’s given back a lot in the way he’s performed, especially this year and last year — but what that football club has done for him, you can’t put a monetary value on that.

“And if you want to, I’d say ‘righto, it’s worth $2.8 million’.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/superfooty-podcast-how-dustin-martins-decision-could-impact-richmonds-finals-series/news-story/5cfd5cefb6ff65d91ffc38ffdc545cd7
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #775 on: August 29, 2017, 07:53:45 AM »
If Martin stays with us I will be absolutely amazed.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #776 on: August 29, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »
It's been reported that he is meeting with the North leadership group over there. That can't be good if true.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #777 on: August 29, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
The chopstick affair was 50 odd pages of drivel on OER, and nothing came of that.
It would be hard to turn down 2.8 nett 1.4 over 7 years and all said and done one club players, brownlows its all dribble, when you stop playing it is over, club loyalty means nothing these days.
The simple fact is pay up RFC or Dusty will go.
I would.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #778 on: August 29, 2017, 09:13:09 AM »
Gawn.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #779 on: August 29, 2017, 09:27:05 AM »
The chopstick affair was 50 odd pages of drivel on OER, and nothing came of that.

The last contract renewal for Dusty would have rivalled that plus there were people breaking down over him leaving