Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 165258 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #780 on: August 29, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »
It's been reported that he is meeting with the North leadership group over there. That can't be good if true.

heard that also. If true he is just about gone isnt he?

if he can deliver a flag on the way out all good, if not stuff the mercenary and hope they bury his head in the turf next year.

I still cant imagine that happening. I mean who is going to meet andrew swallow? please
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #781 on: August 29, 2017, 09:39:13 AM »
Ralph prepping Dusty for the meeting with Ziebel and Scott:
"Now Dusty, for gods sake when they ask you who you look up to DONT mention anyone at the RFC, that really cost us last time"

"Right you are Merk"

B.S "So, Dusty, who would you say you look to for guidance in a football sense"

D.M " Well err... probably um... Dan Connors, Tyrone Vickery"

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #782 on: August 29, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »
?

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #783 on: August 29, 2017, 12:16:03 PM »
Can we still force a trade even though we cannot/will not match the offer

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #784 on: August 29, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
Hopefully he leaves then this forum can return to its former glory  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #785 on: August 29, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »

If it was Martins condition of joining the roos and the roos agreed, then yes, it could be a Dangerfield type scenario. But given Dusty's manager i give that about a 10% chance of hapoening.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #786 on: August 29, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »

If it was Martins condition of joining the roos and the roos agreed, then yes, it could be a Dangerfield type scenario. But given Dusty's manager i give that about a 1.0% chance of hapoening.

EFA

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #787 on: August 29, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »

If it was Martins condition of joining the roos and the roos agreed, then yes, it could be a Dangerfield type scenario. But given Dusty's manager i give that about a 0.0000001% chance of happening.

EFA
EFA
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #788 on: August 29, 2017, 12:59:37 PM »
Dustin Martin contract: Richmond greats, fans say show Dusty the money

PETER ROLFE
Herald Sun
29 August 2017

RICHMOND royalty and Tiger tragics have urged club chiefs to show Dustin Martin the money as the race to re-sign the Brownlow Medal favourite hits fever pitch.

Martin spent Monday holed up in a high-rise luxury hotel in Auckland with his dad, Shane Martin, and his manager, Ralph Carr, as calls from Richmond fans grew for the club to match a rival offer from North Melbourne.

Martin flew to New Zealand to meet his dad and weigh up his future, with discussions continuing late last night as fans and Richmond greats called on the Tigers to find the funds to keep him at Punt Rd.

North Melbourne has put a $1.5 million-a-year, seven-year deal on the table.

Richmond is under enormous pressure to match the pot of gold that would make him the richest player in the AFL.

Richmond cheer squad president Gerard Egan said it was difficult to place a price on success. “It’s big money in today’s terms but towards the end of the contract, it might not be,’’ he said.

Richmond great Dale Weightman had a “confident feeling’’ Martin would re-sign.

“Whatever he gets, he’s worth every bit of it,’’ he said.

Supporters, former players and industry experts alike say the Brownlow Medal favourite could be worth even more than what he has been offered as he propels Richmond toward its first flag since 1980.

Five-time Richmond premiership player Francis Bourke said Martin’s form warranted a pay rise but hoped the star’s decision was not all about cash.

“Given the salary cap is being extended, amounts that might have previously been seen as large can subsequently be seen as worth it or even good value in the long run,’’ he said. “Dusty’s services would warrant a premium and justifiably. I hope other things other than money come into consideration.’’

Under the current offers, Martin would be forced to choose between a $1.5 million deal at the Kangaroos or $1.1 million a year at Tigerland, both over seven years.

That would mean Martin would have to give up $2.8 million to stay with the Tigers where his legacy could be aided by a likely Brownlow Medal and premiership.

AFL player agent Peter Jess said Richmond and the Roos would both make returns on their investment on and off-the field through merchandise, membership and image rights.

“If you look at it purely as a value proposition, at $1.5 million in my view he’s a cheap buy,’’ he said.

Martin arrived in Auckland about 12.30pm local time, strolling through the airport wearing headphones before being met by his dad and being whisked away.

It is understood discussions continued last night after dinner with Martin’s team hopeful Richmond would increase its offer before the start of the finals series.

But Martin’s New Zealand trip will be a whirlwind visit: he is due to attend the All Australian event in Melbourne tomorrow.

The midfielder was yesterday named in the All-Australian squad, installed a raging $1.12 Brownlow favourite with the TAB and was best-on-ground in Sunday’s win against St Kilda.

Tigers legend Kevin Bartlett said the club should make him a “fair and reasonable’’ offer but prepared to say goodbye if he wanted more.

“If it’s just about money and other clubs keep offering more ... at some stage, you’ve got to shake his hand and wish him all the best,’’ he said.

Dual Richmond premiership player David Cloke said opposition clubs had to offer “extraordinary money’’ to lure stars and Martin had every right to cash in at the peak of his powers.

“It’s a business these days so he’s got to treat it that way,’’ he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/richmond-greats-fans-urge-club-chiefs-to-show-dustin-martin-the-money/news-story/b841283949b9d0439e1fcbef14119e88

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #790 on: August 29, 2017, 01:13:55 PM »

If it was Martins condition of joining the roos and the roos agreed, then yes, it could be a Dangerfield type scenario. But given Dusty's manager i give that about a 0.0000001% chance of happening.

EFA
EFA

This
The club has plans in place
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #791 on: August 29, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/list/the-rover-richmonds-plan-b-should-dusty-fall-through-afl-australian-football-league-dustin-martin-josh-kelly-richmond-tigers/q0pxvtlhopbi1aa75xp4hej8z/slide/1

:shh
Like it a lot.

Re Rolfe's article: Couldn't disagree more. How can the club seriously pursue a flag (assuming we don't win it this year) if all other other champions have more or less taken unders to keep the list together and then one guy holds out for the max the club can afford. Doesn't fit for mine. If he doesn't want to take the 1.1 a year with us, think he's gotta go elsewhere.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #792 on: August 29, 2017, 01:19:33 PM »
Love the bloke and gives all etc, but if true he is meeting another club during our finals campaign bit unprofessional poor management simple as that, very poor look and imagine playing group.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:38:15 PM by georgies31 »

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #794 on: August 29, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »
It's been reported that he is meeting with the North leadership group over there. That can't be good if true.

Its been reported but do we know if its true or just another piece of Media rubbish they make up. I mean how do we even know what the exact offers are, one person reports that its $1.5 million with North and then everybody reports it as a fact. Is there anywhere that somebody from North , Dusty or his manager has confirmed that deal? (I will be gladly be corrected)  The only thing we do know for sure that its 7 years as the manager confirmed that yesterday.

My contempt for the media passes my hatred for Collingwood and that's saying something
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!