Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 165257 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin still in the dark over Dusty's future (afl site)
« Reply #840 on: August 30, 2017, 04:10:14 PM »
Cotchin still in the dark over Dusty's future

afl.com.au
30 August 2017

RICHMOND captain Trent Cotchin remains in the dark about whether superstar midfielder Dustin Martin will re-sign with the Tigers after catching up with his teammate on Wednesday afternoon.

Martin returned from a visit to New Zealand on Tuesday night amid speculation he would reveal his decision in a paid prime-time television interview this week. 

But Cotchin said the 26-year-old, who is set to be named All Australian for the second year running on Wednesday night, had not divulged his decision to him when the pair caught up in Melbourne suburb Southbank.

"No news for me, it was just a regular catch-up as we usually do," Cotchin said.

"He's back from New Zealand, I was in the area and he lives not too far away and we thought we'd get a coffee.

"It's hard to say (what he'll do). What I do know is he's contracted until October and we have an opportunity to do something special this year.

"I've enjoyed watching him play and being alongside him for the year."

Coach Damien Hardwick will meet with Martin for the first time since he returned from New Zealand tomorrow when players return to Punt Road Oval after a short break.

He said the Tigers had not put any pressure on Martin to return from New Zealand with a decision as he weighs up a more lucrative offer from North Melbourne.

"We didn't have the conversation as a footy club about that. As far as we were concerned it was a young man going to visit his father. That's all," the coach said.

"We didn't put any pressure on the decision, one way or the other, we've just let it run its course.

"We stated early on that we were happy with the way it was playing out, as were (manager) Ralph (Carr) and Dustin … we haven't put any pressure on."

Hardwick hoped the prospect of success in September would factor in Martin's decision, as well as the Tiger Army's standing ovation for the powerful midfielder last Sunday against St Kilda. 

The coach said he was comfortable with the way contract negotiations had been handled by player manager Carr, who joined Martin in New Zealand as he visited his father Shane.

The prospect of Martin re-signing on the eve of the finals was exciting but not something that would alter the Tigers' preparations for a premiership assault that starts next Friday night against Geelong. 

"Dustin has been fantastic for us for eight years and he'll continue to be fantastic for us as long as we go in this finals series," Hardwick said.

"If he signs, great. If he chooses not to, we deal with it and we move on.

"The fact of the matter is we've got a game to win next Friday night and that's purely our focus at the moment."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-30/cotchin-still-in-the-dark-over-dustys-future

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #841 on: August 30, 2017, 04:11:08 PM »
NORTH Melbourne is remaining tight-lipped on whether Richmond superstar Dustin Martin has indicated if he will accept its multimillion-dollar deal or remain at Punt Rd.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-30/north-stays-tightlipped-on-dusty-verdict

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #842 on: August 30, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »
Everyone seems to be convinced he's going to announce his decision on The Footy Show....what's the bet he's just on to collect the Lou Richards Medal and doesn't announce anything?

...also pretty sure the club announces these things, not the player or it least not the player by himself and outside the club surrounds......too many gullible liitle gen y wannabe seppo stuffheads who think it's like the NBA...
Won't happen on the Footy show, I can't see that at all.

This "meeting with Cotch" has me a little concerned. What would they wanna catch up about that they wouldn't already speak about at the club?

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #843 on: August 30, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »
I smell total BS with regards to that Cotchin article.

Of course he knows .
Unleash the tornado

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #844 on: August 30, 2017, 04:51:47 PM »
The language they are using isn't convincing

"If he signs, great, if he doesn't we will move on"
"I've had a great year with him and we still have something special to achieve this year"

Absolute doomsday.... I won't survive this..
Go Tigers!

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #845 on: August 30, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »
I smell total BS with regards to that Cotchin article.

Of course he knows .
Yes, and so does North Melbourne and Richmond.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #846 on: August 30, 2017, 06:32:53 PM »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #847 on: August 30, 2017, 06:34:24 PM »
Hmm....

Did you get that from bigfooty forums?

Edit; just checked and Lids was on this years.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:53:26 PM by Dougeytherichmondfan »

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #848 on: August 30, 2017, 06:59:48 PM »
FWIW Gerard Healy just announced on 3AW that Martin had signed with Richmond at 1.25 mill p.a. but an official announcement would be made in the next 2 days
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #849 on: August 30, 2017, 07:06:27 PM »
Hmm....

Did you get that from bigfooty forums?

Edit; just checked and Lids was on this years.

Printed this year at a two for the price of one/Cuck admin discount.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #850 on: August 30, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »
Dustin Martin contract saga close to end as an announcement is expected this week

MARK ROBINSON, JON RALPH, GLENN McFARLANE and LAUREN WOOD,
Herald Sun
August 30, 2017 7:45pm

TIGERS legend Ian Stewart has urged Dustin Martin to play for love rather than money as his contract circus draws to a close.

A final Skype session with father Shane on Wednesday night could finally pave the way for Martin to accept Richmond’s $7.7 million deal

Stewart implored Martin to stay at Richmond, stating: “It’s a lot easier to play for somebody who cares about you, than play for money”.

The Martin camp remains determined to announce his position by the end of the week after stretching Richmond’s patience.

That could see Martin announcing he will stay at Richmond as early as Thursday ahead of next Friday’s qualifying final against Geelong.

Martin on Wednesday met captain Trent Cotchin for coffee, was to be handed his second All-Australian trophy and squeezed in a Skype session.

But while he will have to sacrifice $2.8m to stay at Richmond, he is also aware of the potential for premiership success at Richmond.

The Martin camp maintains club other than North Melbourne are pursuing 26-year-old but it’s understood Sydney is not among them.

Triple Brownlow Medallist Stewart, who won his third medal at Richmond after moving from St Kilda, said on Wednesday Martin should remain at Punt Rd.

He said Martin would one day realise there was so much more to football than money.

“I’d like to see him stay at Richmond. He’s been good to them and they’ve been good to him,’’ he told the Herald Sun.

“He’s got a home. It’s a lot easier to play for somebody who cares about you, than play for money.

“When you look around, those faces who care about the club and care about you, they inspire you.

“The dollars don’t inspire you. You can’t play for money week in, week out. You can play for money occasionally, like when it’s the last game of the year and you need a new contract.’’

A Footy Show announcement with Eddie McGuire on Thursday night has not been confirmed but remains a live option.

Martin was expected to discuss his position with his father one more time on Skype either before or after the All-Australian awards.

The star free agent is aware that while a $10.5m North Melbourne offer is financially superior, there is more to his career than money.

He is aware that if he left he would also need to be comfortable in his workplace for the next seven years and at a club where he can thrive.

Cotchin and Martin met in a coffee shop across the road from Fox Footy before a Tigers press conference.

The Tigers skipper was guarded about the conversation with Martin, insisting it was simply a catch-up between mates on a day off.

He said he had “no news” about when his teammate would reveal his decision for 2018 and beyond.

“It was just a regular catch-up as we normally do,” he said. “He’s back from New Zealand, I was in the area, he lives not too far away and we got a coffee.

“It’s not a distraction ... I have been really proud of not only the way Dusty has handled himself, but also our playing group, our football club, the way they have managed it throughout this season.”

Richmond co-vice-captain Alex Rance had no update to offer on his teammate’s contract saga at the All-Australian awards, but joked that Wednesday night wouldn’t be the first time he would offer a quiet word to his fellow Tiger.

“I’ve been having a quiet word to him all year,” he laughed.

“Who wouldn’t want to have Dusty (on their team)?.”

Martin walked the red carpet alongside his teammate, but — as expected — bypassed waiting media at the Palais Theatre in St Kilda.

Rance credited Martin and the likes of also-uncontracted Crow Jake Lever in their ability to shrug off speculation and commentary about their futures to deliver top-level football.

“I think that’s the way the game’s going — it’s a very professional market and guys know what they’ve got to do to get themselves up,” Rance said.

“All the contractual stuff is outside noise.”

North Melbourne coach Brad Scott, re-signed until 2020 today, said he would not be distracted by whether Martin might come to the Roos.

“I don’t allow myself to think about those things. We’ve got people who are in charge of that side of the business,” he said.

Stewart is friends with Martin’s uncle and has spoken to Martin several times.

Asked if he had spoken to Martin about his $10 million contract offer: “No, he’s never asked me.

“I admire what he’s done and from where he’s grown, I admire him tremendously.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-contract-saga-close-to-end-as-an-announcement-is-expected-this-week/news-story/5559a5bf9d1ca0f937a9b50abc027bc0

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #851 on: August 30, 2017, 09:58:16 PM »
FWIW Gerard Healy just announced on 3AW that Martin had signed with Richmond at 1.25 mill p.a. but an official announcement would be made in the next 2 days

Really? Healy? Before he was at AA night?

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #852 on: August 30, 2017, 10:50:38 PM »
 How about this......the deal was agreed to 3 weeks ago.   The Club have paid the Merkin for the media show that has been on for the last 3 weeks fully knowing the media frenzy it generates.  Free advertising for all our sponsors and not to mention the media saturation the club is enjoying leading up to the finals.....

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #853 on: August 31, 2017, 02:06:19 AM »
1. Fact he was staying 2 weeks a go

2. He got 2 offers too good not to give proper and serious consideration to

3. He has a final to play

https://twitter.com/rickynixontoot/status/902769947180494848

Q. its possible club know & have thier own time they want to announce it if he is staying

No i think whats happened it in NZ all the facts where put to Shane & Dustin Martin by Ralph Carr and now Ralph will be ticking of boxes

https://twitter.com/rickynixontoot/status/902838866788286464

Q. Is Hardwick and Cotchin telling Porkies that they don't know what is going on with Dusty?

Not porkies probably in same situation as me and that is what we know is not for the public to know until Dustin or Agent advise all parties

https://twitter.com/rickynixontoot/status/902835407259176960

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #854 on: August 31, 2017, 02:16:45 AM »

Really? Healy? Before he was at AA night?
https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/sportsday/id982902922?mt=2