Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 165251 times)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]
« Reply #960 on: September 02, 2017, 04:05:18 PM »
Gerard Whateley claimed on ABC radio today that the Football Show knew of the decision prior to the club. He alleges that the club only knew of the decision on Thursday afternoon.

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]
« Reply #961 on: September 02, 2017, 04:29:44 PM »
Dusty knew several weeks ago what he was doing, and where he was going to finish his career. That was when the inside word reached my ears, so he may have known months ago. What is most likely and fairly obvious is getting Richmond to pay him more by just poking around other clubs. Smart Manager  :thumbsup
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #962 on: September 02, 2017, 06:12:24 PM »
Dustin Martin neck tattoo, New Zealand heritage, Richmond $8 million contract

GLENN McFARLANE,
Herald Sun
2 September 2017

RICHMOND’S $8 million man Dustin Martin has spoken passionately about the powerful family significance behind his neck tattoos, saying he has no regrets about getting them.

Martin, now 26, and one of the most recognised footballers in the country, was only 18 and just starting to make his mark at Punt Rd when he chose to get his neck tattoos.

But he says they still mean so much to him now, and will forever.

“It’s a funny place to get your second tattoos on your neck, (but) that is just (about) my family heritage, so it means a lot to me,” Martin told The Footy Show in footage that didn’t make it to air last Thursday night.

“Obviously my dad (Shane) is from New Zealand. They (the tattoos) are bloodlines from my dad’s great grandmother’s tribe and the other side is like a family gathering place.”

He has the Maori words “Ngati Maru”, which refers to the family’s North Island tribe, and also “Matai Whetu”, which refers to a meeting place, on his neck.

“When you are young, you don’t think too much before you go and do it, but I don’t regret it,” he said.

Martin said he still hoped to get a premiership tattoo on his body at some stage in the future, if the Tigers can break their flag drought that stretches back to 1980.

Martin, who is reticent to do media, will be part of The Footy Show next year after doing an interview with the program this week, announcing his new $8-million-plus seven-year deal to stay with the Tigers.

Footy Show host Eddie McGuire said Martin reminded him of past football greats such as Darren Millane, Dane Swan and Dermott Brereton, who grew up in tough areas, but who have embraced the game and have been embraced back.

He hopes the show can give viewers a look into the real Dustin Martin into the future.

“We have done a long-term deal with Dustin,” McGuire said. “There is a lot more to get out of Dustin ... he will get more confident in the interviews down the track.”

“(He) is a kid from the wrong side of the tracks who has had some blow-ups along the way but maybe he is getting himself together and he plays bloody good football.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-says-his-neck-tattoos-link-him-to-his-familys-new-zealand-heritage/news-story/73f7381f3cbe7a35eb038f9952b9435b

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #963 on: September 02, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »
“We have done a long-term deal with Dustin,” McGuire said. “There is a lot more to get out of Dustin ... he will get more confident in the interviews down the track.”

typical of mcgurie that stuffin dictator

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
I felt sorry for Tiger fans: Ralph Carr / Wants loyalty clause in contracts (HS)
« Reply #964 on: September 03, 2017, 05:51:43 AM »
Dustin Martin’s manager Ralph Carr wants the AFL to introduce loyalty clause in contracts for free agents

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
September 2, 2017

RALPH Carr has praised Dus­tin Martin’s mental strength to withstand six months of intense contract scrutiny and emerge as the season’s best player.

Manager Carr said he had no regrets about the protracted nature of the talks, saying free agency was a “necessary evil”.

He emerged as the master tactician, eventually securing his client nearly $500,000 a season more than Richmond’s initial offer.

He called on the AFL to consider a loyalty discount for star free agents to help them stay one-club players.

The AFL has rolled its veterans’ allowance into the salary cap this year, but Carr fears it will be increasingly difficult for clubs to hold onto stars.

The Tigers increased their offer to more than $1.2 million per season, a figure near Nat Fyfe’s new free agency deal.

Carr pledged to do everything in his power to ensure Richmond gets full value for Martin’s seven-year deal.

He said Martin, 26, had stayed strong since January, when the Herald Sun revealed he would defer talks until the end of the season.

“It is pretty amazing. It was long and protracted and I feel sorry for the supporters. I was getting a lot of emails and I ­responded to every one, saying please be patient,” Carr said.

“He is pretty tough in that area. I am thrilled with the ­decision and my priority is to do whatever I can to help them get the best out of Dusty.
“I have been doing this for 25 years and some negotiations take a minute and other ones take years.

“There is not one formula for players or artists — it is all ­individualised, there are different negotiations for different talent.

“We are at a point where it is fair to Richmond and fair to Dusty. We didn’t want to rip Richmond off and, as I said to Trent Cotchin last night, I want Richmond to win a flag.”

The Tigers now have five players on significant wages — Alex Rance, Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt and Dion Prestia.

The club has no other stars to re-sign and has locked away its best players long-term.

Riewoldt, Rance, Daniel Rioli and Shane Edwards are signed until 2019, Cotchin is safe until 2020 and Prestia is locked away until 2021.

The veterans’ rule once saw half the wage of loyal servants excluded from the salary cap, before that was cut to $115,000.

Under new CBA changes the veterans are now inside the cap, giving no ­help to clubs trying to ­retain long-serving stars.

Carr said AFL clubs were being left exposed to rivals trying to rip established talent away with monster offers.

“You need to have free agency, but they have got to alter it,” he said.

“I have been an advocate of that for a number of years, a loyalty clause where if you have been at a club since its ­inception there should be some advantage to the club to pay extra money without being disadvantaged in the cap.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martins-manager-ralph-carr-wants-the-afl-to-introduce-a-loyalty-clause/news-story/a3b6a4cc0a23e99177ab7346937e8212

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #965 on: September 03, 2017, 07:37:55 AM »
Gerard Whateley claimed on ABC radio today that the Football Show knew of the decision prior to the club. He alleges that the club only knew of the decision on Thursday afternoon.

Deal was done Monday night.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #966 on: September 03, 2017, 08:40:42 AM »

Which one?

Sig not on contract until Thursday arvo
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
it was long and protracted and I feel sorry for the supporters. I was getting a lot of emails and I ­responded to every one, saying please be patient,” Carr said.

What a load of crap

You don't and didn't give a rats about the supporters
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #968 on: September 03, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »
That article was almost like an advertorial for the Merkin.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #969 on: September 03, 2017, 08:48:46 AM »

To be fair to everyone, HRT was the first one to genuinely call that he would stay, earlier in the year.

I know that may upset a few of the more verbose posters with their seemingly charlatan-like sources, but suck it up.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #970 on: September 03, 2017, 08:55:40 AM »

Which one?

Sig not on contract until Thursday arvo

The club knew his final intentions on Monday night. I'm not sure if they had the paperwork but they had the commitment of the player.
I posted Tuesday on p 53 once this was confirmed
It's disappointing that the so called journalist Whatfley said this and makes me wonder if he's trying to unsettle us ahead of playing his football team this week
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #971 on: September 03, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »
I think there might be something in this.

I did find it a bit starange that there was a rumour about the decision was going to happen on the footy show a good week or even two weeks before it did.

I personally think Dusty was never really even considering leaving, his manager just did his job and got the best deal he could from the RFC.
I'm not saying when the final North offer came up he didn't consider it but I think he was always staying.
And I think the trip to NZ was always going to happen and it was beaten up to be he was going over there to discuss it wth the old man. I'm 99% sure that decision was made before he boarded that plane.

Gerard Whateley is a skinny little whimp but out of all journos he is one of the more trusted professional ones.  His sidekick on 360 is the total opposite to that.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #972 on: September 03, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »
Who gives a stuff.

Moving on...
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
it was long and protracted and I feel sorry for the supporters. I was getting a lot of emails and I ­responded to every one, saying please be patient,” Carr said.

What a load of crap

The AFL's issue as well.

The problem is, the supporters are so loyal and they know they can keep screwing us over and we will keep coming back and daring to dream.

The AFL is on thin ice with me. I am getting sick of being used. If Dusty had left, I was highly likely to drop my Richmond membership and just become a supporter, rather than a member. Not that hard a decision given I live interstate and get very little for my membership.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

What a load of crap

The AFL's issue as well.

The problem is, the supporters are so loyal and they know they can keep screwing us over and we will keep coming back and daring to dream.

The AFL is on thin ice with me. I am getting sick of being used. If Dusty had left, I was highly likely to drop my Richmond membership and just become a supporter, rather than a member. Not that hard a decision given I live interstate and get very little for my membership.

Ask not what your club can do for you but what you can do for your club