Author Topic: Today's Sad Rumour  (Read 2546 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Today's Sad Rumour
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 06:26:03 PM »
very Sad a great footballer passes away
it dont matter how one dies its a tragic event when someone dies so young
it's tragic someone's father has died
its also a reason that we all should respect what is written about him for his family

RIP Chris
a warrior on the field
Well said.

RIP Chris.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 09:28:04 PM »
Cousins can't say out of the news in WA ::).

It has since emerged that one of the last people to spend time with Mainwaring was one of his close friends, Ben Cousins, who is believed to have been with Mainwaring late yesterday.

wwos.com.au understands Chris Mainwaring phoned Ben Cousins and asked him to come over to his home. It's believed Cousins stayed only a short time.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=301171

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 10:11:57 PM »
It will be an interesting couple of days!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Chris Mainwaring's sad end (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 04:56:00 AM »
Chris Mainwaring's sad end
02 October 2007   Herald Sun
Michael Warner

TROUBLED West Coast star Ben Cousins was at the home of former teammate Chris Mainwaring just hours before Mainwaring collapsed and died early yesterday.

Sources have confirmed Cousins was with Mainwaring at his Perth home on Sunday.

The Brownlow medallist went to check on his mate, who was at the tail end of a weekend bender after his marriage breakdown.

Mainwaring's binge involved cannabis and ecstasy, Perth's Channel 9 reported last night.

He told the first paramedics who attended that despite taking the drugs he was OK, it was reported.

The Herald Sun  believes Cousins left the house in the Perth suburb of Cottesloe before neighbours reported seeing Mainwaring screaming and yelling on the road about 11.30pm.

The two-time premiership player and All-Australian collapsed and died about an hour later.

He was 41.

The shock death of the former Eagle and Channel 7 sports presenter sparked an outpouring of emotion and tributes in the footy world.

Former teammate Karl Langdon said his mate had been fighting deep personal problems that were affecting both his work and life away from the media.

"He's had a couple of issues personally, away from public life, very private and personal issues," he said.

Police and ambulance officers were called to the house at 11.30pm on Sunday after neighbours reported hearing Mainwaring screaming.

Sources close to the late midfielder last night revealed he had indulged in a "large weekend" of partying.

Mainwaring refused medical help and was placed in the care of a neighbour.

But later he lost consciousness and the ambulance was again called. Mainwaring was taken to the Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

It emerged yesterday Mainwaring's employer, Channel 7 in Perth, had recently given him time off to deal with personal problems.

Mainwaring had been expected to attend Saturday's Grand Final as a guest of the AFL to take part in the pre-match entertainment, but cancelled at the last minute.

Sources said the relationship between Mainwaring and his wife, Rani, had been strained in recent weeks.

Rani and the couple's daughter Maddy, 8, and son Zac, 6, travelled to their home town of Geraldton, north of Perth, for the weekend.

Another source said Rani, a close friend of Ben Cousins' former girlfriend Samantha Druce, had grown tired of Mainwaring's close friendship with Cousins.

He said Rani had been putting pressure on Mainwaring to learn from Cousins' mistakes.

The pair had recently returned from a European vacation where they had attempted to patch up their problems.

Perth football identity Brad Hardie said there had been concerns about Mainwaring's well-being for two weeks.

In 1993, Mainwaring was arrested outside a Gold Coast nightclub for possession of cannabis.

He had earlier twice lost his licence for drink-driving.

Mainwaring's death ends a disastrous year for the West Coast Eagles, in which key players have been embroiled in off-field scandals.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22515734%255E20322,00.html

Moi

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 06:13:09 AM »
And this article refutes all that.  The media - who to believe  :banghead

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/cousins-rushed-to-mainy/2007/10/01/1191091038593.html

TROUBLED West Coast Eagles star Ben Cousins rushed to the aid of a distressed Chris Mainwaring twice in the hours before the retired player died after allegedly taking ecstasy and cannabis.

Mainwaring, 41, who was thought to have been battling depression, was discovered by police and ambulance officers who were called to his Cottesloe home at 11.30 on Sunday night by neighbours concerned about a man yelling for help nearby.

But police said yesterday that Mainwaring refused help and was left in the care of a neighbour. An hour later, ambulance officers were called back to the house, where Mainwaring was found unconscious. He was taken to a Perth hospital and died a short time later.

It is believed that Mainwaring, a Channel Seven sports presenter in Perth, had told ambulance officers during the first visit that he had taken ecstasy and cannabis. Police and St John Ambulance refused to comment on the claim.

Cousins, who spent four weeks in drug rehabilitation in the US earlier this year, was asked by Mainwaring's wife, Rani, to talk to her husband because Mainwaring had helped him battle his drug problems. A Mainwaring family friend said that Cousins first went to the Mainwaring house on Sunday morning and was satisfied his former teammate was all right.

Mrs Mainwaring and the couple's children, Maddy, 8, and Zac, 6, were on holiday at a Toodyay farm, 100 kilometres east of Perth.

Later in the morning, Mainwaring sparred with former Australian Test batsman Justin Langer in preparation for a kickboxing bout on Thursday.

Cousins returned later that night after Mainwaring called complaining that he was hungry. It is understood he took Mainwaring some food and, after talking, left shortly before 10pm.

The family friend said Cousins had been concerned about Mainwaring up to a month ago and had organised some support.

Mainwaring cancelled his planned appearance at Saturday's grand final, where he was to have been part of the pre-match entertainment. In his 210 games for the Eagles, he played in two premierships.

Mainwaring's father, Hub, 73, said that his son had some "personal issues" but he did not want to talk about them. Speaking through tears at times, the Geraldton builder said his son had been devastated by a falling out with some Eagles players this year during the Cousins drug scandal.

"He (Chris Mainwaring) harboured Ben at his home for a few days," Mr Mainwaring said. "Oh, he certainly did (have a huge affection for Cousins). It got him into a bit of trouble in the end.

"He lost a bit of faith for the Eagles. He divulged a bit of information that leaked out and cost him dearly in terms of friendships … He confided in somebody with some news and that news ended up going on air on television and that's when all hell broke loose with the Eagles. It was just disappointing. He was so disappointed."

His wife, Leah, was on her way to Perth to see her son one last time, but Mr Mainwaring said he had not been strong enough to go.

"My eldest son came out to break the news that he's seen it on telly," he said. "I was sitting in my office and he came in the door and he was pale. He just said, 'Dad, Dad,' and I hadn't seen him in that state before, and he said, "I've just heard that Chris has passed away.' I was just stunned.

"It's just devastating when parents lose one of their kids … He did have a seizure but I'm not prepared to divulge anything other than that at this stage."

The emergency medicine spokesman for the Australian Medical Association, Dr David Mountain, said seizures were often the result of low sodium, caused by poor hydration, which could follow exercise and ecstasy use.

In 1993, Mainwaring pleaded guilty to possessing marijuana. He twice lost his licence for drink-driving.

Police from the major crime squad yesterday closed off part of the street in which Mainwaring lived. They will prepare a report for the coroner.

As a steady stream of fans and friends arrived to pay tribute to Mainwaring, neighbours said they had heard him wandering around his backyard on Sunday night. He sounded disoriented and confused and desperately called for help, but did not appear to be hurt, they said.

The bizarre behaviour was so out of character that many neighbours assumed a stranger had wandered into the yard. Nearby resident Katrina called police shortly after 11pm. She said she only realised it was Mainwaring when he began yelling for help.

"He was yelling, 'Help me, help me,' and it went on for a long time," she said.

"He sounded very disoriented, very distressed."

Another neighbour, Dorothy, said she clearly heard Mainwaring call out for someone named Stewie to help him. "His voice sounded very strong," she said.

"I thought he must have been drunk but his voice was very clear and he didn't sound drunk."

The West Coast Eagles issued a statement saying the club was devastated by the news.

"Chris was an outstanding club man," the statement said.

"Our football club is deep in mourning today. We have lost a champion. The club will offer every possible support to Chris' family."

At Eagles coach John Worsfold's home yesterday afternoon, former players gathered to remember the man they knew as "Mainy" at an informal wake.

Visitors arrived looking shocked and sombre.

With RONAN O'CONNELL, TIFFANY LAURIE and

BEN DOHERTY

Chris Mainwaring

BORN December 27, 1965

DIED October 1, 2007

RECRUITED FROM East Fremantle (WA)

PLAYED West Coast, 1987-99, 201 games, 84 goals

HONOURS premiership player 1992, 1994; 2nd best and fairest 1989, 1992, 1996; 3rd best and fairest 1987, 1988; All-Australian 1991, 1996; WA representative in eight matches 1987-92 (captain in 1991); West Coast life member 1994.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 01:07:34 PM »
'rushed'? ::)

History indicates Cousins is no saint.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
The media - who to believe  :banghead
The Eagles now have a reputation of a underlying drug culture so it's easy for the media to say what they want.

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 08:44:33 AM »
Very sad news, I was absolutely shocked when I heard it on the radio on Monday. I can just remember meeting him when I was younger and he was a great bloke. Sad that he passed away at such a young age. Sympathies to his wife and children and the entire Mainwaring family  :'(
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 02:16:11 PM »
I don't get it.... A Rock Star can die choking on his own vomit after a serious drug binge and is considered a legend. A very talented footballer whom I watched play many times and win matches off his own back dies also from drug related causes and he is tarred and feathered??  Give the guy a break! Some responses I've read here are disgraceful. Lets remember him for how he played the game hard and fair, not for how he tragically ended his life.

RIP Chris

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 08:10:31 PM »
I will remember Chris Mainwaring one way

As an absolute champion footballer.

That's a fact! Loved watchng him play

Everything else at the moment is rumour and innuendo and until anything is proven - I reckon people should concentrate on that.

Also, don't forget there are 2 very young kids who just lost their Father and that is a real tragedy
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Bull

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 08:17:50 PM »
Was an absolute gun.

I remember the day he hit the top of the post from a set shot on the boundary line against the blues and they lost.

I remember during the following week he was in a cherry picker with a chain saw in hand. Was pretty funny.

Would be happy to pick up a player who would be in the same mould as Mainwaring.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 10:52:29 PM »
Also, don't forget there are 2 very young kids who just lost their Father and that is a real tragedy
They both seem to have been forgotten about in all of this  :(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 10:01:56 PM »
Mainwaring's toxicology report has been released  :-\.

The Nine Network in Perth, which said it had obtained the toxicology report, said Mainwaring had cocaine, ecstasy, cannabis, anti-depressants and the acne drug, Roaccutane, as well alcohol in his system when he died.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Mainwaring-died-of-drug-cocktail-report/2007/10/17/1192300857297.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 10:17:22 PM by mightytiges »

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 11:50:31 PM »
interesting little cocktail of drugs, the thing i find strange if cousins was such a great friend wouldnt you have stayed with him.
im inclined to think perhaps ben knew what chris was taking and didnt want to be caught in that enviroment if anything were to happen.

perhaps the cops had an inkling and decided to put cousins under some sort of watch.

there is more to both these situations than has been released yet i think.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007, 11:23:53 AM »
just ... why take drugs !