Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 903445 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #4665 on: March 30, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »
He is playing with an injury IMHO.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #4666 on: March 30, 2019, 08:28:42 PM »
I don’t believe it. He’s just not trying as hard. Looks to be giving up too easy, won’t run and chase like his life depends on it.

Call it premiership hangover or maybe a case of multimillionairitis.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4667 on: March 30, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
I don’t believe it. He’s just not trying as hard. Looks to be giving up too easy, won’t run and chase like his life depends on it.

Call it premiership hangover or maybe a case of multimillionairitis.  :rollin
If injured rest him, if not drop him to vfl, but ITITC, Hardwick wouldn't have the cojones

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4668 on: March 30, 2019, 08:44:51 PM »
Yeah right let’s drop our best player because he was horrible like 15+ other players on Thursday......

Even in his “poor” round 1 showing he was in our best 5 players.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4669 on: March 30, 2019, 08:50:38 PM »
Yeah right let’s drop our best player because he was horrible like 15+ other players on Thursday......

I’d start him in the square next week
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4670 on: March 30, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »

yep
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4671 on: March 30, 2019, 09:47:01 PM »

Sends a great message, no defensive pressure, no tackles, but if that is what you think, I guess you must be correct.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #4672 on: March 30, 2019, 10:32:24 PM »

He was putrid in round one as well ::)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4673 on: March 31, 2019, 12:00:04 AM »

Sends a great message, no defensive pressure, no tackles, but if that is what you think, I guess you must be correct.

How about instead of sacrificing dusty to send “a great message” to the rest of the players that no1 is unstoppable you just drop the players who are playing horribly and if dusty ever manages to be in our worst 4-6 players for a sustained period of time then by all means send him to the 2s.

His putridness in round 1 was still good for third most possessions. 2nd most contested possessions, most score involvements, most inside 50s, second most metres gained and fourth most clearances. Yes his kicking efficiency and defensive pressure was poor and almost non existent but if that’s a droppable performance than were not gonna have many players left.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4674 on: March 31, 2019, 09:21:08 AM »
I think dusty has enough runs on the board to allow him to break out of the slump. The guy was a key factor of when we won 9 in a row to make finals, the only reason we were remotely watchable in 2016 and of course slayed it to bring us a premiership to break the drought.

He was exceptional last year also and I get the frustration. Where has his form gone? But stuff me dead half the team or should I say half the comp wouldn't get the attention dusty gets and he can break games open so no I don't think the solution is to drop your best player when things don't go to plan.

I suppose Rance should have been playing vfl when he lost to Harry Taylor late in 2017?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4675 on: March 31, 2019, 10:35:21 AM »
It was a pathetic team effort after what they did to us in the last game in 2018. To come out and give nothing (apart from 3) was incredible really.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4676 on: March 31, 2019, 10:39:55 AM »
Can’t believe we have lost to those ... twice in a row with Dusty clearly injured!

Online sdc01

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #4677 on: March 31, 2019, 08:15:20 PM »
IMO only.... he'll be given an extended break soon to deal with "mental issues"....nice break in NZ

maybe cynical....but i dont think Dusty is a Selwood type...someone who lives for football

set for life now....doesn't give a rats

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty: ‘Dad, I need to get help’ (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4678 on: April 01, 2019, 10:35:51 AM »
Dusty: ‘Dad, I need to get help’

Shane Martin,
Sunday Herald Sun
31 March 2019

In his book A Rebel In Exile, Dustin Martin’s dad Shane on the day his AFL star son asked for help with depression, keeping him out of trouble and tattoos.

As the first game of the season rolled around he was named in the team for the first match. It was a home game at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

That morning Dusty was bloody nervous. I said, ‘Don’t worry, mate, it’s just footy. Relax and enjoy it.’

But to be perfectly honest, I needed to take my own advice. I’m not an overly emotional bloke but I was as nervous as he was, I reckon, but I was being calm for him.

Kathy and I went to the ground together, and we were given seats by the club.

They have an area set aside for players who aren’t in the team that day and family members or loved ones of the club.

They were the best seats in the house, right up close to the action.

Here I was at the ‘G with thousands of people cheering on my boy.

Dusty played well, but his team copped a 56-point hiding.

After one game that year he said to me, “Dad, I’m thinking of getting a tattoo.”

I said, “You’re old enough to do as you please, Dust.’ I mean, I’m covered in the bloody things, so it would be a bit rich for me to say, ‘Nah, mate, forget about it.’ “

“I want the ‘Live Free, Die Free’ that you’ve got on your arm.”

At that point I didn’t know whether to be flattered or what.

“Son, you make your own decision. Think about it and if that’s what you want then go for it.” He was going to do it anyway, so there’s no point fighting about it.

His mother wasn’t too happy.

He got the tattoo on his rib cage. Bloody big letters, too. Poor Kathy didn’t know that was just to be the beginning of his ink.

In the end he got two more that were the same as mine, both of them linking to my Maori heritage.

I don’t make a big deal of being Maori. I figure people are people, but it’s a part of who I am and where I come from, so I had Ngati Maru — which is my iwi, or tribe — and Matai Whetu — which is the name of my marae — tattooed on my neck.

I did caution him against the neck, mostly because I knew his mum would have a fit, but again, he’s his own man.

Sure enough, he got it done.

Those tattoos don’t change who he is. They don’t make him a better or worse man. And they don’t hurt anyone else. Given that, they are his decision and nobody’s business.

But I still did feel a bit for Kathy. Mums see these things a bit differently.

But certainly the tattoos didn’t hurt his footy.

In his second season he began to really take off. I never missed a match, and I travelled all around the country to watch him.

In a game against Melbourne he scored four goals himself and had thirty-three disposals.

He topped that effort just a couple of weeks later and some in the media were already saying he should be considered for the All Australian team.

But for all of the signs that his career was skyrocketing Dusty was never too far from being in the news for something stupid.

In 2012, he and his buddy Daniel Connors came unstuck when they missed training after a big night out.

The f---ing idiots had taken sleeping pills after an all-night bender.

Connors was kicked out of the club completely because it wasn’t the first time he’d been in trouble, and Dusty was suspended for two weeks.

I got a call from his manager and next thing I was flying down there. I gave him a fair bloody drilling over that.

“Stop acting like a clown. You’ll f--- up this thing that you love if you don’t pull your bloody head in!”

Once again, it wasn’t the last time we’d have that conversation. Honestly, for a kid who made me the proudest man in the world, he could be a pain in the arse.

But one of his issues was not of his own making. A thing many people don’t know is that Dusty has had a few struggles with mental health.

One day I got a call from him. “Dad, I’m getting bad anxiety, I need to get help. Can you come with me to the doctor?”

You might think that this isn’t a call you want to get from your kid, but in some ways it’s exactly the call you want. If they don’t call you, that’s when you’ve got problems. I said to him, “Of course I’ll come, mate.”

“Don’t tell anyone, Dad.”

“All good, but don’t be ashamed of it. You’re more of a man for admitting it and doing something about it.”

So we headed to a psychologist or whatever and eventually he was put on some medication for anxiety and depression.

We were worried that the drugs might affect his ability with football, but the psychologist was really good and very clear that it had nothing to do with any of that.

It’s just a chemical imbalance in the body, he said.

Those drugs didn’t hurt his skills, and they helped by making his life easier.

Depression and anxiety are pretty common as I discovered. Dusty now knows it’s nothing to be ashamed of.

People suffering need to know that help is available. If you have problems in those areas or know somebody who does, get along to the doctor and chances are they’ll see you right.

In 2013, Dusty was back in the headlines for reasons other than football.

During a loss in the elimination final he put his wrists together after scoring a goal as if he were in handcuffs.

It became known as the ‘jailhouse salute’ and it created a hell of a lot of drama.

Some people just really love to get upset.

Dusty knew a guy in prison — he was actually a mate of mine — and he’d used the gesture to say ‘hi, bro’ at a time when he knew the cameras would catch it.

I’m happy to give Dusty grief when he’s done wrong, but what’s wrong with saying g’day to a mate, even if he is in the can?

Just because a bloke gets locked up, that doesn’t mean you ignore him or don’t give him support.

People can have different views on that, and that’s fine, but I’m not knocking Dusty for that one.

Your mates are your mates and you stand by them through thick and thin.

While I did say he shouldn’t do it again, it seems he always wanted to do something with his hands.

In 2015, in a big win over Collingwood, he celebrated a goal by giving the fingers to some opposition fans who were heckling him from the stands.

In the heat of the moment I’d probably have done the same thing, if I’m honest.

But it was an incident off the field that nearly derailed him. After the end of the 2015 season, Dusty and a few of his friends went out for dinner to a Japanese restaurant in Windsor. They’d been at a music festival that day and he’d had a few beers.

A dispute erupted and Dusty was being a bit rowdy at the bar. Some woman told him to quieten down and he took exception to her butting in.

Undoubtedly he acted like a idiot, but the woman made some really serious allegations. She said he had threatened to stab her in the face with a chopstick, and had stood over her and slammed his hand into a wall.

The woman knew who he was and complained to the club and it soon escalated, becoming a police matter, and some famous former players were saying he should be banned for a year and made to pay thousands to a women’s charity.

I’m not going to defend Dusty for acting like an idiot, but the allegation didn’t seem right to me.

Who the hell threatens anyone with a chopstick? If you’re going to threaten somebody, use something a bit more effective than that.

But seriously, he’s not a person who would abuse a woman like that.

He told me it was blown out of proportion and I believed him.

I thought Richmond could have backed him a bit better than they did. The club got him to immediately apologise to the woman, and while it was good to do that because he acted poorly, he denied the serious allegations, and that needs to be remembered.

After the police investigated the matter — including looking at all the CCTV footage — they concluded no criminal offence had taken place.

Even still, his behaviour was no good and I was having another little chat to him.

This time I think was the last. At least I hope so.

One person I have to mention here is Dusty’s manager, Ralph Carr.

Ralph has been with Dusty from the start.

He’s a top bloke and he’s like family to Dustin.

On financial matters around contracts and the like, Dusty will always ask my advice, but Ralph’s is front and centre.

Many times when Dusty has gone off the rails, Ralph has been sitting beside me when I talk with him. He’s had plenty of those conversations without me too.

Not only do I like the bloke, I’m incredibly grateful for what he’s done for my son.

It’s easy to dwell a bit long on the controversies but they were only interludes in his life.

He wasn’t a great talker on camera and he wasn’t fussed by the media, which didn’t help, but people could tell he was a good guy, I think.

And as for his footy, he was getting better and better.

And in a short while he was going to prove himself to be the best.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shane-martin-on-dustins-battle-with-depression/news-story/91ed9c9c8ba71bf713b8fa71f5dd0d5a

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Robbo: Tigers’ season hinges on Dusty rebound (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4679 on: April 01, 2019, 10:39:38 AM »
Robbo: Tigers’ season hinges on Dusty rebound

MARK ROBINSON,
Herald Sun
1 April 2019

The problem is, having lost bookends Alex Rance for the season and Jack Riewoldt for at least a month, Martin seemingly has lost his magic.

He was curtailed by his bogeyman, Collingwood’s Levi Greenwood, on Thursday night.

He had 19 touches, but many were pedestrian and not the surging, match-breaking touches which generally underpins his performance.

He attempted a couple of miracle kicks, one a switch into middle, which missed its mark by several metres.

That’s unlike Martin.

Much will be asked of the 2017 Brownlow Medallist now that Rance and Riewoldt are out, and even more so this week with Dylan Grimes suspended for a match for lifting a forearm into the face of Jamie Elliott. The incident was unlike Grimes.

The frightful start to the season in terms of injury puts the spotlight on Richmond as a club and Martin as one its leaders.

The banged-up Tigers play Greater Western Sydney next weekend. Then it’s Port Adelaide away, Sydney at Marvel and Melbourne at the MCG on Anzac eve.

Martin looked a forlorn figure against the Magpies and when the game was wavering between the second and third quarters, the obvious question was: Where’s Dusty?

When the game ripped apart in the final 15 minutes, it begged another question: What’s happened to Dusty?

His stunning 2017 season probably won’t be repeated. His 2018 season had its mental challenges, as Martin has revealed, and his form tapered from superhuman to very good.

In Round 1 this year, he had 30 touches against Carlton. But now it gets harder.

Skipper Trent Cotchin lamented the tackling numbers against the Pies. Just 32 in total.

“I looked up in the last quarter and we hadn’t had too many tackles,’’ he said.

Martin had zero. In Round 1, he also had zero.

He’s never been a high-pressure player. In 2017, he laid 88 tackles in 25 games. In 2018, it was 48 in 23 games.

His pressure points were 37.4 in 2017. They are at 15.5 in 2019.

Of course, the explosive creators are always tagged, so they spend much of their time trying to find space and opportunity, rather than opponents with the ball.

Still, there has to be an improvement on zero tackles.

The tackling numbers were woeful on Thursday night because the Tigers were denied their pressure game, a tactic which probably will be adopted by other clubs this season.

They will stick to the “Richmond system’’, coach Damien Hardwick said in the post-match, but there will have to be adjustments. Maybe less spatial defence and more man-on-man, so a repeat of Collingwood’s high ball use won’t catch them out again.

Where Martin fits in to all this only time will tell. Richmond’s pressure has allowed Martin to play ballistic offence, which is his natural asset, but times are changing in football. What Richmond had over the competition for almost two years has been exposed and, in two of their past three games, nullified.

Does Hardwick ask Martin to defend more, or does he fix the system to allow Martin to continue to freewheel?

So, the challenge is on Martin over the coming period.

The bookends are gone, a restructure is needed at both ends and in the middle, seeing as Riewoldt was the second ruck, and that all equates to the remaining leaders needing to take control through these unusually turbulent times.

That means Martin has to find his mojo in defence and attack and quickly.

Dusty’s tackling pressure hasn’t been to its usual standard.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/richmond-needs-dustin-martin-at-his-best-but-tigers-superstar-hasnt-started-2019-at-usual-level/news-story/3345f5d7074d0b0cc96a1d4dc91d5f84