Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 903378 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #4710 on: April 18, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has no doubt star midfielder Dustin Martin will bounce back strongly against Sydney on his return from a one-match suspension. Martin was banned for an off-the-ball hit on GWS tagger Matt De Boer in a loss to the Giants and was also later fined by the AFL for making an obscene gesture during a frustrating outing for the Brownlow Medal winner.

“Perception is reality, I suppose, but it was one bad game he’s played … he’s an incredible player and I expect him to bounce back,” Hardwick told reporters on Thursday.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-april-18-2019/live-coverage/ae6969ff08cf09e0ea18bb303f62d12f

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4711 on: April 19, 2019, 01:11:18 PM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ... it's been a battle for Dusty this season ...

THEN ... an isolated prime-time game on Saturday night against the struggling Swans looms as his return to box office drawcard status.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-19/sliding-doors-round-five

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4712 on: April 20, 2019, 10:05:20 PM »
Welcome back dusty! Excellent game from the champ

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4713 on: April 20, 2019, 10:27:36 PM »
Welcome back dusty! Excellent game from the champ
Yep. Aside from one low percentage disposal, Dusty was back to his best on the back of doing the fundamentals well. I didn't notice him getting caught once which means he gave it off when he should have rather than trying to beat 3-4 opponents at once.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4714 on: April 20, 2019, 11:24:24 PM »
Posted this elsewhere, but I reckon that third goal where he roved across the front of the pack was just what we wanted to see.

Getting some good form back by the looks of that. Hit the front of the pack at top speed, clean grab of the footy, then perfect snap across the body for a goal. Unstoppable

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4715 on: April 21, 2019, 03:23:28 AM »
Martin was close to best afield despite the Swans sending their resident tagger George Hewett to him from the first centre bounce.

The 2017 Brownlow medallist amassed 25 disposals (16 contested), eight inside 50s, five clearances (four from the centre) and three goals in a masterful display.

Martin spent large chunks of the contest playing deep in attack, where he proved a handful for Sydney's defenders.

The performance followed his one-match ban for a callous off-the-ball elbow to Giant Adam Kennedy's head, coinciding with tagger Matt de Boer holding him to only 15 possessions.

Martin also managed a modest 18 touches the week before that against Collingwood, but Hardwick prophetically backed him to bounce back on game eve.

"He was great, wasn't he?" Hardwick said.

"He was the first one to put up his hand that he was disappointed with his game and disappointed with what happened after that (the hit).

"But that's what great players do – they respond. We're very quick, I think, as a society to hang people, but he's an incredible player and a guy people love to come and watch…

"So I'm very privileged I get to sit there and watch him on the boundary, which is fantastic."

Source: AFL website

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #4716 on: April 21, 2019, 07:22:05 AM »
Posted this elsewhere, but I reckon that third goal where he roved across the front of the pack was just what we wanted to see.

Getting some good form back by the looks of that. Hit the front of the pack at top speed, clean grab of the footy, then perfect snap across the body for a goal. Unstoppable
Absolutely; text book crumbing. Another positive is that it means Dusty is working on some synergy with big Tom. That sort of move is innate as much as it is teachable.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4717 on: April 21, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
I reckon with Ross in the side and doing a great job in the middle, I would like to see Dusty play about 70% forward and 30% on ball.
Even more so when we get Cotch back.

He would kick 50 plus IMO playing that roll and it makes it harder for teams to play taggers on him.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4718 on: April 21, 2019, 10:46:06 AM »
Maybe more goals if the umps starting paying him some free kicks.  :banghead

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4719 on: April 21, 2019, 12:03:29 PM »
Maybe more goals if the umps starting paying him some free kicks.  :banghead

Why would they do that ?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4720 on: April 21, 2019, 12:37:23 PM »
Went forward last night to get rid of Hewitt who was tagging him. Good move.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4721 on: April 21, 2019, 03:13:06 PM »
A part of me was a bit bummed when he lost that marking contest to Rampe. But otherwise still an excellent game. Was awesome when the game was on the line to be won.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4722 on: April 22, 2019, 10:45:50 PM »
Dusty is no longer with Puma. He's switched to Nike boots.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4723 on: April 23, 2019, 01:15:19 AM »
A friend of mine who works in orthotics tells me dusty hated the pumas. They were really uncomfortable and required a serious wedge just so he could run in them

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4724 on: April 23, 2019, 06:57:37 AM »
Dusty is no longer with Puma. He's switched to Nike boots.

Yes Tom Browne said on Talking Footy last night that Puma had ended the deal 1 year into a 4 year extension signed last year. Putting all their eggs into DeGoey from the Pies

He wore Nikes on the weekend but no deal as yet

A friend of mine who works in orthotics tells me dusty hated the pumas. They were really uncomfortable and required a serious wedge just so he could run in them

Hated them but had no issue wearing them and taking the cheque  :snidegrin
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:22:12 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)