Author Topic: Bachar Houli [merged]  (Read 334642 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Bachar Houli [merged]
« Reply #1155 on: March 05, 2016, 02:24:42 PM »
RICHMOND defender Bachar Houli is taking his Altona North property to auction the week before the season starts.

Houli has played with the Tigers since 2011 and has become a community leader as one of the first Muslim players at the AFL level.

His three-bedroom home at 1/9 First Ave offers a low-maintenance layout, with bright interiors, landscaped gardens and outdoor decking.

Rashard Risilia, of RT Edgar, Williamstown, will auction the home on March 19 with price expectations of $470,000-plus.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/realestate/news/melbourne-vic/former-australian-of-the-year-author-john-caldwell-is-taking-his-renovated-prahran-home-to-auction/news-story/135151782ea3685dcb3979b63690e0d8

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1156 on: March 05, 2016, 09:56:35 PM »
See I think Houli is a massive part of the problem that is the RFC..
He is as soft as butter IMO. And I don't think many people could debate that?
Half of his kicks on Saturday were from playing on from a Geelong behind and kicking these lob kicks down the line with absolutely no penetration to them.
He costs us at least a couple of goals a game from dropping a simple mark or stuffing up a short kick.
He has improved as a defender but opposition players would rub their hand together when Houli came to them..
He plays with no passion and is just a vanilla AFL footballer. A player that will never take you to the next step.
If you are wondering why we are where we are it's because of players like Houli and Grigg. And even Ellis. Guys that just run around with no real purpose.
If you get 30 odd kicks as a running defender and have 10 odd tackles you win games like the one on Saturday unless something is missing.
I'd play Matty Dea before Houli any day.
This is so spot on what a great summation of how a few OF US  think about Houli.
What worries me is people think the backline has been great. Not so much on this site though.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #1157 on: March 05, 2016, 10:10:23 PM »
weakest list - of the established players

the upside is good, skills, run, rebound

the downside is bad, lack of defending, soft
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #1158 on: March 05, 2016, 10:10:59 PM »
Reckon Houli is a gun
If he has a good game
We usually win

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1159 on: March 05, 2016, 10:18:23 PM »
That's because we usually win games when the opposition doesn't apply much pressure - which is when Houli flourishes. QED. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1160 on: March 21, 2016, 12:52:43 AM »
Bachar Houli hopes new academy can lead to more Muslim players in the AFL

MICHAEL WARNER
Herald Sun
March 21, 2016

BACHAR Houli chuckles about sharing his prayer room at the MCG with the Richmond mascot.

“There’s a little room at the MCG. It’s not just for me, it’s for the mascot, too. Well he uses my room actually. It’s all good,” the defender explains.

“The club has got two places for me (to pray). The MCG has a place, Etihad has a place. Even travelling interstate ... they’ve got that ready for me.

“Prayer is a connection you have with God and it’s something beautiful because it keeps me on track.”

Footy’s best-known Muslim is entering his 10th season and is creating a talent pathway through his academy for ­Muslims to follow in his steps.

Gold Coast’s Adam Saad is the AFL’s only other Muslim player and Houli has set a ­target of 10 more being drafted over the next 10 years.

This year there’s academies in five states and the Bachar Houli Cup — a national competition for Islamic schools.

“I’ve got kids from grade 5 up until Year 11 involved and the great thing about it is that the schools are buying in,” Houli says.

“It’s my heart and soul. I want to see more Muslims playing the game at the highest level. It’s so important, not only in terms of football development, but leadership as well.

“These kids get to 17 or 18, they finish school or they don’t even get to Year 12 and they don’t know what to do. They’ve got nothing to fall back on, so we teach them about leadership, how to deal with certain things.”

Houli, 27, the son of Lebanese parents, had to deal with controversy last year after 3AW broadcaster John Burns was accused of calling him a “Muslim terrorist” at a match.

He didn’t dwell on it and took positives from it.

“It created awareness, it ­created communication. It got out and people knew it wasn’t right, whether he said it or not,” Houli says.

“I think there’s a minority who still have a lot to learn and have to open their mind.”

More drama came against Fremantle in Round 17 after an errant kickout in the dying ­seconds helped Freo steal victory.

It cost the ­Tigers a top-four spot, but he hasn’t worried about it.

“I was upset at the time, but ... it’s just a game. That’s what Dimma said to me after the game. He said ‘Look at me’ and he smiled and said: ‘It’s just a frigging game ... just move on. Don’t worry about it’.

“Dimma knows the type of person I am. I can get really down on myself and I blamed myself for the whole game.

“... You know what, I’ll probably stuff up again, maybe not to that extent or it could be worse, but I’m not going to shy away from what I do.

“It’s actually helped me grow as a player.”

Houli’s best buddies are Ivan Maric, Brandon Ellis and skipper Trent Cotchin.

“They’re my close mates but in saying that I’m a floater — I love to get among any group, young or old, and say: ‘Who wants to go out for lunch?’ I can’t spend a lot of time with the boys going out at night having a few beers ­because that’s not my lifestyle, so I try to make up for that going out for brekkies or lunch.”

He’s not as close to Dustin Martin but rallied behind him during the chopsticks saga.

“I’m not the closest person to Dustin, but I felt for him.

“He’s a shy kid ... up until three years ago Dusty was a man of very few words, but today he’s actually stepping up in meetings.

“He’s bringing up certain things where I say: ‘Hang on, I didn’t really think of that’. And so he should, ­because he’s a leader of the club, as much as he doesn’t speak a hell of a lot.”

The 137-gamer believes Richmond has built a list with depth and versatility.

“The successful clubs are the ones that have got depth. You look at Hawthorn, Fremantle and West Coast,” he says.

“They’ve got players that can step up and fulfil that role. Throughout the pre-season we have focused on throwing players in different positions so that we become more versatile.

“The game is going to be tougher with less rotations and so we need to find that flexibility.”

Houli’s message to his academy kids is you can be a devout Muslim and play AFL.

“When I first got drafted, people questioned me,” he says.

“They said you’re probably not going to be able to hold on to your faith. You’ll live a luxurious life of women, alcohol and fame. But I grew so much from that, and I said no.

“If something doesn’t fit within my religion, I won’t do it. I won’t compromise. It helps me become a better person.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bachar-houli-hopes-new-academy-can-lead-to-more-muslim-players-in-the-afl/news-story/d8c739e575949285d06dfebbd2d0867a#load-story-comments

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1161 on: March 24, 2016, 08:39:54 PM »
 :facepalm
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1162 on: March 24, 2016, 09:22:45 PM »
 :wallywink

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1163 on: March 25, 2016, 12:11:45 PM »
terrible

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1164 on: April 24, 2016, 11:07:39 PM »
See I think Houli is a massive part of the problem that is the RFC..
He is as soft as butter IMO. And I don't think many people could debate that?
Half of his kicks on Saturday were from playing on from a Geelong behind and kicking these lob kicks down the line with absolutely no penetration to them.
He costs us at least a couple of goals a game from dropping a simple mark or stuffing up a short kick.
He has improved as a defender but opposition players would rub their hand together when Houli came to them..
He plays with no passion and is just a vanilla AFL footballer. A player that will never take you to the next step.
If you are wondering why we are where we are it's because of players like Houli and Grigg. And even Ellis. Guys that just run around with no real purpose.
If you get 30 odd kicks as a running defender and have 10 odd tackles you win games like the one on Saturday unless something is missing.
I'd play Matty Dea before Houli any day.
This is so spot on what a great summation of how a few OF US  think about Houli.
What worries me is people think the backline has been great. Not so much on this site though.
Does ANYONE still think Bachar is a good defender? ANYONE!!
I hate to say I told you so but I did.
Ellis and Grigg can get stuffed too.
3 of the most pathetic AFL footballer to pull on a Tiger jumper ever.
They make me embarrassed to to a Tiger supporter.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1165 on: April 24, 2016, 11:11:56 PM »
Weak as pee.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1166 on: April 24, 2016, 11:18:44 PM »
Weak as pee.
He is weaker than that Ox.
Most guys have a crack. Some might not have the skill but at least they are willing to go and get the footy. I'd even consider BEllis as tough compered to this soft behindhole.
I constantly drive my mates mad about how much I cannot take this bloke because of his softness. Enough is bloody enough.
Does everyone see it now?
He is a nice kick of the footy but he is not an AFL footballers behindhole.
stuff him off once and for all.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:24:02 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1167 on: April 25, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1168 on: April 25, 2016, 12:06:25 PM »
You're doing pee a disservice. :whistle
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1169 on: April 25, 2016, 12:19:46 PM »
Another Hardwick polyfiller player who is beyond his use by date. Of course being a coach favourite he will play until retirement so we have many more pages of this thread to enjoy in the seasons to come.