Author Topic: Mitch Thorp  (Read 11758 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Mitch Thorp delisted by Hawthorn
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 11:15:18 PM »
There is some interesting discussions on Thorp on at Big Footy in particular the Hawthorn board. (Boy do those, um.... people(?) hate Essendon). It's a mission trying to sift through the unintelligible poo but some posts seem to have merit. This may just sum up Thorp
Originally Posted by Number 24  View Post

Mitch Thorp on the other hand is just as much a worry to the club, but for different reasons. One concern is his propensity to reach for the ice pack, especially if he thinks he is not going too well. Another is his lack of desire to take front position. The third is a suspicision that he lasks the nesessary mobility.

Are these my thoughts....NO. They are the thoughts of one very senior coach at Hawthorn. Rusty and ND were privy to this discussion.
THANK YOU!!

this is what i have been saying for a very long time. i have watched many Box Hill games and so many times Thorp will put in a poor effort in a marking contest or when he has to try and win his own ball and he realises he has not gone hard enough and will hold his hamstring or ankle to pretend that is the reason. Then he is back on once the doc checks him out. he is very soft and unfortunately that is hard to fix.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559972&page=8

You get the impression that he has huge tickets on himself and may not be that popular with the playing group. Attitude problem seems to be the general consensus .
Some of the negative stuff seems to be made with some semblance of an informed decision, while nearly all the the positive is probably teenage girls who think he's cute.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Tigermonk

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 06:16:18 AM »
Hi all, long time reader first time poster on OER.

On mitch thorpe the bottom line is, Hardwick knows him well and if he feels he's worth the punt, I'll accept that.

OH NO l can feel another Wallace loves McMahon love story coming on  :rollin

Hardwick loves Thorpe yep thats all we need a bloke who cant cut it at Box Hill & the poo will start all over again  :banghead

You would not want a highly rated Key forward who taken seven picks before Jack Riewoldt?

:-\

I would be happy to take him @ pick #44

do you watch any football other than Richmond. Thorpe reached his peak, he didnot make AFL. its too hard for him. end of story
Rewoldt  aint proved anything his a softy

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »

On mitch thorpe the bottom line is, Hardwick knows him well and if he feels he's worth the punt, I'll accept that.

Hardwick loves Thorpe yep thats all we need a bloke who cant cut it at Box Hill & the poo will start all over again  :banghead

You would not want a highly rated Key forward who taken seven picks before Jack Riewoldt?

What number draft pick you were taken at means Jack S, it's just an indication of how someone rates your potential. It's what  you do after you are drafted that counts. Look at the early draft picks that were just shown the door

I don't want to make a habit of quoting from BF, but this is relevant , if true.

There was a story about when he first got to the club (might have even been his first day), he was in the rooms before training and said to Birch "what number pick were you?" Birch replied "how many AFL games have you played?".
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648360&page=3

You'd like to think that Hardwick would be in a better position than any of us to make a call on this guy and if he does think he turn him around I suppose you would have to trust his judgment. So far he gets a tick for what he has done publicly, but taking this guy on board would get a question mark beside it in my eyes.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 10:13:39 AM »

do you watch any football other than Richmond. Thorpe reached his peak, he didnot make AFL. its too hard for him. end of story

riewoldt has proved he was the pick of the KPP of that draft 30 odd goals this year in a team that won 5 matches, couple of 6  & 7 goal hauls, he's proved that he can play good footy at the top level, thats more than I can say for the rest of the bums from that draft, nice try but pepper your spray with some substance next time rather than a simpleminded ill directed boofheaded swipe :o
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »
Soft, injury prone and hardly cuts it at VFL level...he'll fit right in.

Tigermonk

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 11:14:07 AM »

riewoldt has proved he was the pick of the KPP of that draft 30 odd goals this year in a team that won 5 matches, couple of 6  & 7 goal hauls, he's proved that he can play good footy at the top level, thats more than I can say for the rest of the bums from that draft, nice try but pepper your spray with some substance next time rather than a simpleminded ill directed boofheaded swipe :o

Rewoldt is not a KPP his classed as a small forward, he has cut nothing anyone can kick bags of goals one week & get the ass the next just look at Richmond history, Hughes, Shulzs, McGrath, & can go on & on.  Rewoldt workrate is the forward line is pathetic just like all the others up there thats why Brown, Pettifer, Hughes, Shulzs got the ass & Rewoldt is next.

Not being boofheaded about it Bojangles l seen alot of talent in my time & Rewoldt dont cut it for me as his weak

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2009, 11:36:50 AM »

Doesn't mean he's right.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 02:13:18 PM »

Doesn't mean he's right.
Doesn't mean he's wrong either, its a judgement call FFS

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
Makes a change to see another club getting bagged for their top 10 drafting mistakes ......

Hawks ponder Joel Selwood factor
    * Scott Gullan
    * October 31, 2009

HOW many flags would Hawthorn have won with Joel Selwood?

--------------------------------------------------------------

A string of injuries - osteitis pubis, hip, knee, ankle and this season a broken sesamoid bone in his left foot - hasn't helped the 194cm Tasmanian's cause.

There were also other factors that hastened his exit - he still has a year to run on on his contract - with Thorp's cockiness, which he had from the day he first strutted into the family club, getting him offside with his teammates.

One legendary tale of that confidence came in 2007 when he lined up in the VFL on Geelong captain Tom Harley, who was making his way back from injury.

As the Cats veteran walked up to Thorp at the start of the game, the teen greeted him with: "I'm going to end your career today."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawks-ponder-joel-selwood-factor/story-e6frf9jf-1225793010155

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2009, 08:20:34 PM »
As the Cats veteran walked up to Thorp at the start of the game, the teen greeted him with: "I'm going to end your career today."
As much as he sounds like a tosser, he did kick 7 goals in that game

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 04:41:43 AM »
From Lazza on Y&B....

"I was listening to Liam Pickering discussing Mitch Thorp today. (Liam is his manager). He said that he had had discussions with Craig Cameron and that Die Hard will meet with Mitch sometime in the next couple of weeks. He confirmed that DH had spoken to Mitch by phone. He said that Mitch was a good fit for RFC, especially with his mate Jumpin Jack being there. (or any other club that was rebuilding). At only 20 years of age he said Mitch had a lot to offer - said he was selected at #6 for a reason. He also confirmed that Mitch didn't get on with a few Hawk players due to his cockiness."

http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=285228&postcount=483

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 07:30:13 AM »

Rewoldt is not a KPP his classed as a small forward, he has cut nothing anyone can kick bags of goals one week & get the ass the next just look at Richmond history, Hughes, Shulzs, McGrath, & can go on & on.  Rewoldt workrate is the forward line is pathetic just like all the others up there thats why Brown, Pettifer, Hughes, Shulzs got the ass & Rewoldt is next.

Not being boofheaded about it Bojangles l seen alot of talent in my time & Rewoldt dont cut it for me as his weak
Riewoldt is classed as a small forward @ 193cm?  Is this a jedi mind trick?  :gobdrop
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 07:57:39 AM »

Riewoldt is classed as a small forward @ 193cm?  Is this a jedi mind trick?  :gobdrop

Yep, 1 cm shorter than his cousin St Nick.  That puts him well and truly out of the class of "small forward" - either that or we are going into next season with a "Land of the Giants" forwardline.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 08:30:48 AM »

Yep, 1 cm shorter than his cousin St Nick.  That puts him well and truly out of the class of "small forward" - either that or we are going into next season with a "Land of the Giants" forwardline.
Some reports even have him taller than Nick

Ramps

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 08:31:55 AM »
up till now he hasnt played like a true tall forward, more like a medium forward