Author Topic: Mitch Thorp  (Read 11755 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Mitch Thorp delisted by Hawthorn
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2009, 12:02:36 AM »
Yes and Jay Schulz kicked 5 against Brisbane one year also...your point is??

Schulz kicked 6 against Brisbane.

Jay is a better footballer than Thorp that's for sure.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2009, 12:08:04 AM »

The only thing that Jay had going for him was his ability to reel in some quality talent off the field.

Sadly, on the field he was one of the biggest pretenders i have ever seen wear the Yelllow and Black.

Yes i remember it clearly how it was Richo's fault that Jay didnt perform at the level required. Richo always got in his way" "They cant play together" Well Guess what Richo wasnt around this year and Schulz was at his most pathetic.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2009, 12:15:58 AM »
The kid can play. I'd be keen to stay away the guy is a bit of a FIGJAM and would be then next Warren Tredrea.

Mate of mine who works with Gellong Falcons said that when Tom Harley came through the VFL after an injury he lined up on Mitch Thorp.

Harley walked over to Thorp lined up on him and Thorp said:
"Today is the day Mitch Thorp ends you career.."

A nobody 20 year old kid to a premiership captain.. dumb and too big for his own shoes for mine.

You don't have to have a mate who works at the Geelong Falcons to know this story, it was in the paper and was already reported in this thread

The thing is though that Thorp kicked 7 goals in that game

Rubbish player like that fruitloop Hooper. Cut from the same cloth they are.

Going backwards if we pick up either of them
Just putting the comment into context

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2009, 02:33:11 AM »
Yes i remember it clearly how it was Richo's fault that Jay didnt perform at the level required. Richo always got in his way" "They cant play together"

Blah, blah. For all that he had more talent than Thorp has.

I'll be interested to see how Jay goes under Chocco.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2009, 03:16:51 AM »
Mitch Thorp to train with Melbourne
Glenn McFarlane From: Herald Sun November 07, 2009 3:43PM Increase Text Size Decrease Text Size Print Email Share Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us Add to Facebook Add to Kwoff Add to Myspace Add to Newsvine What are these?
DISCARDED Hawk Mitch Thorp will train with Melbourne during the pre-season in a effort to kick-start his AFL career.

Thorp, who turns 21 on Christmas Day, managed only two games for Hawthorn over the past three seasons with a series of injuries and indifferent form limiting his impact.

His manager, Liam Pickering, confirmed today the 194cm forward and one-time No.6 draft pick was hopeful of being selected by the Demons in December's pre-season draft.

"He's a good fit for them, he's a key position player," Pickering said.

Former Tiger Dean Putt will train with Hawthorn, ex-Bulldog Guy O'Keefe at Geelong and former Roo Matt Riggio at Fremantle in the pre-season

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mitch-thorp-to-train-with-melbourne/story-e6frf9lx-1225795298322
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2009, 03:18:28 AM »
So looks like Thorp may go to the Dees along with just about every other delisted player and out of contract player..... :whistle
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2009, 09:39:55 PM »

So how many games of Thorp's have you seen Mr Magic? I don't know if i want this guy at our club but what makes me laugh is when people judge these kids from so far back it's not funny.

If the kid did say what he did to Harley, so be it. He may be a FIGJAM but if he is half as good as the original (who became captain of his club and won a Brownlow) than we should at least look at him. If a young Carey had said what he had said it would be one of those stories that is legendary.

One last thing, he has had injurys, is still young and been trying to break into a side with two key position forwards that are more than capable, so like other before him, he may just need a new start and an oppontunity.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
The kid can play. I'd be keen to stay away the guy is a bit of a FIGJAM and would be then next Warren Tredrea.

Mate of mine who works with Gellong Falcons said that when Tom Harley came through the VFL after an injury he lined up on Mitch Thorp.

A nobody 20 year old kid to a premiership captain.. dumb and too big for his own shoes for mine.

You don't have to have a mate who works at the Geelong Falcons to know this story, it was in the paper and was already reported in this thread

Bit of a strange post from you Infamy, I'm sorry if my previous offended you.

Regardless I wouldn't want some cowboy that thinks its appropriate to say crap like that to any player. How would we react as Tiger faithful if a Daniel Connors was heard saying stuff like that. It's embarrassing. Don't need that at Richmond especially where we are at.

Thorp is a nobody. I want someone who walks the walk not talks the talk.
Go Tigers!

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2009, 10:50:32 PM »

Bit of a strange post from you Infamy, I'm sorry if my previous offended you.

Regardless I wouldn't want some cowboy that thinks its appropriate to say crap like that to any player. How would we react as Tiger faithful if a Daniel Connors was heard saying stuff like that. It's embarrassing. Don't need that at Richmond especially where we are at.

Thorp is a nobody. I want someone who walks the walk not talks the talk.

correct
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2009, 11:07:48 PM »
Melbourne can have Thorp.

:)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2009, 09:33:27 PM »
Rumours around demonland say that Thorp will not be taken by the dees. Stress fractures in the feet apparently. Will be interesting to hear what comes out.

They are pretty keen on McDonald.

http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=288354&postcount=821

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Mitch Thorp
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2010, 03:28:20 AM »
It makes a nice change to read in the paper a comparison of two top picks and Richmond being the club that got it right  :thumbsup. Maybe we need a Jack vs Buddy and a Tambling vs Thorp threads so we're even  ;D.

For many, particularly in Thorp's home state of Tasmania, it's something that seemed unfathomable four years ago when the strapping centre half-forward, who was rated superior to his Tassie Mariners teammate Jack Riewoldt, went to Hawthorn at No. 6 in the national draft.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mitch-thorp-faces-chilly-draft/story-e6frf9jf-1225966042266

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
LOL.

Like the sentiment OE but I reckon we would have taken Thorp if we had the number 6 pick that year. Though I did hear FJ really liked Jack that year. Do you think we would have taken Jack at 6? I'll leave the Tambling vs Franklin threads to boof head opposition supporters. Like to think I am smart enough to accept that what looks like the correct decision at the time can turn out to be the opposite.

Even so it's nice to be on the other side for a change.  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2010, 11:50:32 PM »
LOL.

Like the sentiment OE but I reckon we would have taken Thorp if we had the number 6 pick that year. Though I did hear FJ really liked Jack that year. Do you think we would have taken Jack at 6? I'll leave the Tambling vs Franklin threads to boof head opposition supporters. Like to think I am smart enough to accept that what looks like the correct decision at the time can turn out to be the opposite.

Even so it's nice to be on the other side for a change.  :thumbsup
Well we did swap pick 8 for 13 in the Polak trade because Miller was confident Jack would last to 13. Lucky Jack did last to 13 as the media would in hindsight have gone to town on us for doing that Polak trade if Jack ended up at another club. I can't recall us being interested in Thorp. As usual with all recruiters after the draft Miller said we got the player we were after.

The other twist to that Polak trade is the 3rd round pick we also gave up for Polly was eventually used by Essendon to grab Houli. So things have come full circle.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2010, 11:57:15 PM »
The other twist to that Polak trade is the 3rd round pick we also gave up for Polly was eventually used by Essendon to grab Houli. So things have come full circle.

Good pick up MT. That's another suck of the balls for the bummers this summer.