Author Topic: NAB Challenge 1 - Richmond vs Melbourne [merged]  (Read 13561 times)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Official NAB Challenge Squad vs Melbourne
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2014, 02:45:00 AM »
Half that melbourne team went 110% to earn a spot. No surprise Miles was near to our BOG if he wasn't already and the rest of the blokes were just blowing out cobwebs.
Was a lesson that anyone can beat anyone if you're desperate enough. That old adage that hard work beats talent until talent works hard. Our work rate was putrid. Melbourne were poo, we just didn't have a crack at all which was a bit disappointing. I remember the days we used to celebrate a NAB game like a flag too. Hope that never happens again.  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2014, 06:07:50 AM »
Half that melbourne team went 110% to earn a spot. No surprise Miles was near to our BOG if he wasn't already and the rest of the blokes were just blowing out cobwebs.
Was a lesson that anyone can beat anyone if you're desperate enough. That old adage that hard work beats talent until talent works hard. Our work rate was putrid. Melbourne were poo, we just didn't have a crack at all which was a bit disappointing. I remember the days we used to celebrate a NAB game like a flag too. Hope that never happens again.  :lol
Agree tigs and dwaino. We played the majority of the game in 2nd gear. Also add to that old adage that you can't turn on form like a switch if you haven't come to play to begin with. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2014, 09:16:49 AM »
Nearly was going to make the trip up to see the game, luckily I didn't.

Not because of the loss, because it was of the most boring games i've ever seen. The massive Melbourne flood, the chip kicking all over the place.

Luckily, I stayed at home too. I wanted to listen to the commentary to get a better idea of who all the new faces were, but instead was treated to four quarters of everyone's tongues so far up Roos 'backside I just wanted to vomit.
Roos was up to his old tricks again, with a flood that made the torrential rain in the UK at the minute look like a monkey's drool by comparison. And as ever in this situation, our blokes were too slow/unfit/dumb/lazy (take your pick) to follow their opponents back out and give them a  taste of their own medicine.
Looks like the only effect the cap on the interchange had was to make our blokes even more unwilling to run. Leigh Matthews ideas about how to combat ugly footy are looking more attractive by the day. Especially now that Roos is back in the caper, to join the likes of Lyon and Longmire.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: NAB Challenge 1 - Richmond vs Melbourne [merged]
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2014, 09:44:07 AM »
Take nothing away from dees they were pretty switched on and it was obvious we were at 70%.  Our run and spread wasn't there and our general intent poor.  I wouldn't be panicking just yet however for the fringe players like astbury helbig batch Macintosh Mcbean they didn't show much. 

Dees excellent use of ball out of defence with zero pressure.  Once any heat comes on they will struggle. 

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
  Once any heat comes on they will struggle.

Pity we refused to apply even a Chinese burn. Hey, I just remembered -how about that Astbury blunder in the dying minutes that set up the loss? If I didn't laugh I'd cry. How do clowns like him and Grigg find themselves still on our list this far into their careers? Hypnotism??

tony_montana

« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »
200 less possies is ridiculous and shows the type of effort we put in. That was the only disappointing thing for me. The result is inconsequential. Miles was good, Lloyd showed a bit and that's about where it ends. A stronger finish when things got hot towards the end is something I would have liked to see too

dwaino

« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »
200 less touches, running at 75%, kicking 11.15 (including the supergoal) and still only lost by 19 points to a team going 110% with something to prove. Had we kicked a little straighter we could laugh how a flat out Melbourne still couldn't beat a half arsed Richmond. Also, I wonder how long they can keep up that game style. They were rooted by the end. Obviously didn't get the memo it was NAB 1. Looking back at bits and pieces I can still see them doing that holding thing were if they were one on one going for a loose footy they would physically tie up our player and over run the footy while giving their teammate a chance to get to the ball. It's more of a hold than a shepherd and IMO won't be accepted during the regular season.

I know some people don't like to hear it and think that we should be out to win any game, but to me it just looked like we were doing nothing more than putting minutes into legs as part of the pre-season conditioning. There were no acts of desperation, no diving for the footy, no dangerous marking situations etc. A couple of times it looked like some of our blokes were telling them to settle down after they were giving a few cheap clips. I'm not expecting much difference against Collingwood honestly as we rotate in some different players, before a full dress rehearsal against Essendon.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2014, 03:38:32 PM »
200 less possies is ridiculous and shows the type of effort we put in. That was the only disappointing thing for me. The result is inconsequential. Miles was good, Lloyd showed a bit and that's about where it ends. A stronger finish when things got hot towards the end is something I would have liked to see too

That's the issue, the domination in winning the pill of a team that won 2 games last year was a worry. Given Hardwick wants a fast start, we couldn't have been less impressive.
Hawks showed you can play in 2nd gear and still dominate weak opposition.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

gerkin greg

« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »
$2.30 to miss the 8

get on before it comes in

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
$2.30 to miss the 8

get on before it comes in

Hardwick first coach to be sacked. Same timing, better pay out

You only have to worry about Buckley
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2014, 07:56:04 PM »

That's the issue, the domination in winning the pill of a team that won 2 games last year was a worry. Given Hardwick wants a fast start, we couldn't have been less impressive.
Hawks showed you can play in 2nd gear and still dominate weak opposition.
Melbourne would have beaten that Lions outfit by 7 goals.  The Lions were hopeless and were missing most of their experienced players.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

gerkin greg

« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2014, 07:56:06 PM »
Sando will be sacked on the Monday after Round 2

You've done your dough

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
Sando will be sacked on the Monday after Round 2

You've done your dough

John Sands may have his calling card ready but its dated Sep 2014
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »
I'm just watching the replay for the first time and I have to say that the commentators have spent the whole game just talking about Melbourne and Paul Roos. No one seems to have picked up the sheer amount of new players we had in crucial roles/positions on the night and the amount of experienced players experimenting in new positions. Add the fact that we played with only three interchange while Melbourne used all 6 and you could mount a far argument that we need extremely well.

One thing that is very noticeable though is the change of Melbourne game plan/style.They have adopted the Hawks/our style of threading you way through zones. I think this will improve them greatly through the year but we'll match up well on them - probably better than we did even in 2013 - as a result of our familarity of the style (like we did against the Hawks). Their tougher, experienced midfield will also make them a more challenging team.

McBean needs more size but still has alot to look forward to. Griff showed plenty too. Miles showed enough to be a handy long term addition in the center winning the ball. Astbury was disappointing and so was Helbig. Why didn't they play Hampson up forward. Dusty looked a little a drift at times but I think this move may work long term.  :pray