Author Topic: Reece Conca [merged]  (Read 426176 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Reece Conca [merged]
« Reply #210 on: May 03, 2011, 04:36:32 PM »
Speculating who do people think will be the better long term player - Conca, Gaff or Polec?

Con65

« Reply #211 on: May 03, 2011, 04:51:29 PM »
Bentleigh - I would rate that at the moment - Heppell Conca Gaff Polec with Caddy N/A

Conca hasnt had the immediate impact of Heppell but geez he looks good.

Conca's last 3 games have all been over 20 possessions - he is fitting into his role quite nicely and with time will work his way into the midfield.
I think his current average stats are higher than Lids' in his first season (I am not comparing him to Martin who is an absolute freak of a footballer).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Teenage Tiger Conca earns his stripes (West Australian)
« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2011, 11:36:19 AM »
Teenage Tiger Conca earns his stripes
The West Australian
May 5, 2011

Late last year, Reece Conca could barely feel the grass between his toes. In the past two months, the Richmond recruit's feet have hardly touched the ground.

Conca's decision to miss last year's draft camp so he could undergo surgery to deal with complications from a broken left fibula, has paid off in the first six games of the Tigers' improving season.

That will continue at the MCG on Saturday when the 18-year-old plays against Fremantle, the club he once saw as most likely to offer him his AFL chance.

But Richmond saw things differently and by the time the Dockers had their first pick in the draft at No.20 - used to recruit Jayden Pitt - Conca was long gone, taken with the Tigers' second selection and No.6 overall in a decision that was leaked on the internet.

It didn't take long after his arrival at the famous Melbourne club to erase any doubts that his injury would affect his football.

He soon claimed his place in Richmond's team and his 101 possessions to date this season suggest he is there to stay.

After his surgery Conca was in plaster for six weeks and then a moon boot for eight.

"That part of it goes really slow," he said.

"It was tough, but looking back now it's been all right.

"When I first got out of the boot, my foot hadn't actually touched the ground for a while and it was really strange.

"You were sort of sensing the ground and balancing on one leg.

"Touching the ground and even getting into the shower for the first time was quite different ... it's like a weird sensation where your foot's really rough and your skin is a bit dead."

Conca, who lives with Richmond's Claremont recruit Tom Derickx, said part of his surgery also concentrated on shaving a piece of extra bone from his heel because of a condition known as os trigonum which can affect movement of the joint.

He said the syndrome was still evident on his right heel.

It limited the full range of his kicking motion, but was not a problem for him when executing the crucial skill.

Having converted to football from soccer to follow join his childhood friends in sport, Conca's earliest inspiration was 1995 Brownlow medallist Paul Kelly, despite being only 10 years of age when the Sydney legend retired.

He fondly recalled being the only one of about 30 family and friends wearing red and white at a house in Harvey as they watched the Swans snatch the 2005 premiership from West Coast in a thrilling grand final.

By draft day he had been assured by Richmond he was going to be a Tiger. But after an earlier daunting pre-draft interview with Fremantle officials, including coach Mark Harvey, he thought he was destined to be a Docker.

Despite suggestion that he could be bound for a Port Adelaide with their first pick at No.16, Conca had spoken with Perth teammate Tendai Mzungu about the probability of the pair continuing their football at Fremantle.

Conca has found a habit of being in the football headlines from the time he was at the centre of the Tigers' draft leak.

He said he also found it strange when Collingwood's Chris Dawes was cited for striking him in round four, in an incident which threatened to cost the Magpies forward a chance to play in the Anzac Day match against Essendon.

He was relieved when Dawes was cleared for the big match.

Conca, who is of Calabrian descent and has a twin sister, said it was difficult to imagine how the start to his football life could have been more satisfying.

And he said being handed the No.30 guernsey made famous by Richmond's 300-game great Francis Bourke added a special edge to the fairytale.

"The club gave me Francis Bourke's number ... I still haven't met him yet, but I hope I'll get to do that soon," he said.

"He's a pretty big deal within the club so it's pretty special. Hopefully someday I could get to somewhere near where he did and etch my own history alongside him.

"To win our first game and sing the song was probably one of the greatest moments of my life and the crowd after the game was probably the loudest thing I've ever heard.

"Being here is probably the best thing that could have happened to me."

Conca said Richmond's expectations for the season had risen with wins in their past two games and said the Fremantle battle would be his club's biggest test so far this season.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/9318815/teenage-tiger-conca-earns-his-stripes/

Offline tiger4life

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #213 on: May 05, 2011, 02:48:38 PM »
The kids going to be something special, I can feel it.  :gotigers

TigerTimeII

« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2011, 09:37:28 PM »
its the italian blood
forza!

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2011, 09:59:10 PM »
Reece Zola Conca.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2011, 10:05:03 PM »
Another Italian cant complain about that.  :thumbsup

Hope his better than our last, Merenda

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
merenda started to show great form but he had a chronic back injury which destroyed his career

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
merenda started to show great form but he had a chronic back injury which destroyed his career

Merenda was another player who's possessions were about quantity rather than quality  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »
choco at the disco!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #220 on: May 06, 2011, 12:36:56 AM »

Agree. He dances beautifully in traffic.
With experience could be anything.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #221 on: May 06, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »

Agree. He dances beautifully in traffic.
With experience could be anything.

Id prefer not to see our players doing the conga. All they need to do is just play footy  ;D

TigerTimeII

« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2011, 05:12:53 PM »

Merenda was another player who's possessions were about quantity rather than quality  ;D

lol hahahaha nice u got me there

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #223 on: May 07, 2011, 12:41:19 AM »
It's a refreshing change to hear our players say coming to Richmond was the best thing that could have happened. I think they know they are at a club on the up-curve and there's an opportunity to work hard together and become successful. You can't knock someone of good Calabrian stock either  :thumbsup (otherwise you may end up with a horse's head in your bed  :lol ).

Speculating who do people think will be the better long term player - Conca, Gaff or Polec?
I was a massive fan of Gaff in the U18s although I'm not disappointed we got Conca at pick 6. If we had massaged our wins in 2009/10 smartly we could have ended up with both  :whistle :outtahere. No doubt the Eagles were tanking last year  :whistle.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: May 07, 2011, 08:12:50 AM »
just like Pakistan in the cricket?  :outtahere
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI