Author Topic: Reece Conca [merged]  (Read 426170 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Reece Conca [merged]
« Reply #1200 on: April 26, 2014, 04:07:52 PM »
Used pick 6 on a pick 36 standard player.

Tool.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1201 on: April 26, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »
The guy has not had a full preseason yet!
Reserve your harsh judgement till that has been completed please.

Excuses, excuses. He's been fit enough to play 57 games out of a possible 72 so far and every game this year.

Tool.

Looks like you misspelt "truth" there, champ.  Nevermind, you'll get there one day.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1202 on: April 26, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »

Excuses, excuses. He's been fit enough to play 57 games out of a possible 72 so far and every game this year.

Tool.

Looks like you misspelt "truth" there, champ.  Nevermind, you'll get there one day.
Being fit enough to get on the park and having a full preseason that instills you with confidence in your body to lift your game to the next level are two very different things!

Have you ever played a competitive sport at an elite level? It's not like kick to kick at school.
It's not an excuse mate, it's a fact.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1203 on: April 26, 2014, 04:42:05 PM »

Tool.

Being fit enough to get on the park and having a full preseason that instills you with confidence in your body to lift your game to the next level are two very different things!

Have you ever played a competitive sport at an elite level? It's not like kick to kick at school.

I've played various sports at a high level and even been paid for it on the odd occasion but no, I've never been a full-time professional athlete....have you?

How many uninterrupted pre-seasons has Cotchin had over the years? 
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1204 on: April 26, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »

Tool.

I've played various sports at a high level and even been paid for it on the odd occasion but no, I've never been a full-time professional athlete....have you?

I haven't but have had relatives that have been full time pros. The amount of work they do with heir bodies to prepare is amazing.  They would constantly tell me how preseasons would set up the whole year.
Cotchin is a freak. It's not fair comparing anyone with him

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1205 on: April 26, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »

Tool.

I haven't but have had relatives that have been full time pros. The amount of work they do with heir bodies to prepare is amazing.  They would constantly tell me how preseasons would set up the whole year.
I get you think Reece hasn't done a full pre-season, we all get it. But having said that, he has played 57 games, how would you rate those 57 games? Genuine question.
Do you think to date he is worth pick 6?
And lastly, what is it you see in him that you think will improve to the point of being an A grader?
IMO he may have missed some pre-seasons and I don't even know if it's all since he has been at Tigerland, but you don't have to 100% fit to be able to hit targets! NOT FUMBLE, or show some class when you do have the footy.
All Reece has shown so far is that he is a pretty good tackler and he loves a cuddle.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1206 on: April 26, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »
What BT said ^

Caracella and Balmey.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1207 on: April 26, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »

Tool.

I get you think Reece hasn't done a full pre-season, we all get it. But having said that, he has played 57 games, how would you rate those 57 games? Genuine question.
And lastly, what is it you see in him that you think will improve to the point of being an A grader?
IMO he may have missed some pre-seasons and I don't even know if it's all since he has been at Tigerland, but you don't have to 100% fit to be able to hit targets! NOT FUMBLE, or show some class when you do have the footy.
All Reece has shown so far is that he is a pretty good tackler and he loves a cuddle.
Firstly it's not his fault he has been picked in the firsts when not 100% fit. We have had poo reserves teams to send him to and develop there, so when he came in he was thrown to the sword in the firsts.
And he wasn't a true number 6 pick as there were the 12 prelisted 17 year olds taken by the Gold Coast in 2009 that would have gone early in 2010. So get your ******* facts right before you ask questions!
Yes there have been a few players taken after him that have played better thus far. But guess what? If you look at each of these players one thing is common to all of them. They haven't had any serous injuries that have required surgery. Reece has gone under the knife 3 times since he has been with us. This has enabled them to fast track their development compared to Reece.
What I see in Reece is a competitive player who has pace and who has a defensive game and an attacking game. When his game has been up he has kicked multiple goals. This is his great strength. He should be a goal kicking mid. These types of players are very valuable.
I am happy to wait as he is still young and I think he has much upside. He just needs a decent run with injury. Our recruiters are not Nostradamus in predicting injuries in the future too, so criticizing them is premature. I still think his greatest strength is his character. He is a good kid with a level head on his shoulders. He is a good team man who is good to have around the club.

It's amazing what effect positive reinforcement has on the psyche. It's also amazing what a deleterious effect these negative rants have on players. They may not read them but others do and pass on sentiments.

FFS get off his back and give him support and encouragement. If you really love the club, you will.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1208 on: April 26, 2014, 06:37:35 PM »

Tool.

Firstly it's not his fault he has been picked in the firsts when not 100% fit. We have had poo reserves teams to send him to and develop there, so when he came in he was thrown to the sword in the firsts.
And he wasn't a true number 6 pick as there were the 12 prelisted 17 year olds taken by the Gold Coast in 2009 that would have gone early in 2010. So get your ******* facts right before you ask questions!
Yes there have been a few players taken after him that have played better thus far. But guess what? If you look at each of these players one thing is common to all of them. They haven't had any serous injuries that have required surgery. Reece has gone under the knife 3 times since he has been with us. This has enabled them to fast track their development compared to Reece.
What I see in Reece is a competitive player who has pace and who has a defensive game and an attacking game. When his game has been up he has kicked multiple goals. This is his great strength. He should be a goal kicking mid. These types of players are very valuable.
I am happy to wait as he is still young and I think he has much upside. He just needs a decent run with injury. Our recruiters are not Nostradamus in predicting injuries in the future too, so criticizing them is premature. I still think his greatest strength is his character. He is a good kid with a level head on his shoulders. He is a good team man who is good to have around the club.

It's amazing what effect positive reinforcement has on the psyche. It's also amazing what a deleterious effect these negative rants have on players. They may not read them but others do and pass on sentiments.

FFS get off his back and give him support and encouragement. If you really love the club, you will.
You only answered one of my three questions before going off on some "he is such a nice guy rate"
This is AFL footy YBB, if you think being a nice guy is someone's best talent than maybe you have answer all my questions at once.
Also no need to get all weird about it, I was only asking your opinion on Reece, since I know you rate him. I thought maybe you could give me something to look at for tomorrow, but looking for a nice guy is pretty hard from level 2.
Light up pal!  :thumbsup

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1209 on: April 26, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »

Tool.

:clapping

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1210 on: April 26, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »
we played two good quarters of footy against the bears (allowing for the crap conversion rate in the first).

Conca's work through the midfield was instrumental in those periods of play.

and he was winning his own ball, not feeding off the hard work of others.

You don't have to look flashy to be effective.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1211 on: April 26, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »

Tool.

You only answered one of my three questions before going off on some "he is such a nice guy rate"
This is AFL footy YBB, if you think being a nice guy is someone's best talent than maybe you have answer all my questions at once.
Also no need to get all weird about it, I was only asking your opinion on Reece, since I know you rate him. I thought maybe you could give me something to look at for tomorrow, but looking for a nice guy is pretty hard from level 2.
Ok...
To the ones I didn't answer….
I rate about 25% of his games as very good, 25% as good, 25% as a bare pass and 25% that could have been much better.  Not too bad for someone who was thrust into the team a very early and with the injuries he has sustained.  And don't forget, he has been assigned tagging roles by the coach and many times he has sacrificed his game to carry out the job.

The question really is how many of his next 57 games will be rated as good?  Time will tell and in the next 3 seasons we will see if he was worth the pick "6" the club picked him up as.  To date he hasn't lived up to what a pick 6 is suppose to have done (whatever the hell that's supposed to be) but I did say there were good reasons for that which you have continually failed to acknowledge.

And while we're at it let's look at the last ten years of pick 6:

2004:  Tom Williams (WB)
2005:  Beau Dowler (Hawks)
2006:  Mitch Thorp (Hawks)
2007:  David Myers (Bombers)
2008:  Chris Yarran (Blues)
2009:  Gary Rohan (Swans)
2011:  Chad Wingard (Power)
2012:  Jackson Macrae (WB)
2013:  Matthew Scharenberg (Pies)

Out of that list I would have thought only 3 of the players listed have clearly been better than Reece who wasn't a real pick 6 anyway.   What do you think?

As for the nice guy part, you are twisting my words.  I said his greatest strength was his character, not being a nice guy.  Do I really need to explain what that actually means?  Well if you are so challenged you don't know, I will explain.  Guys with strong characters are more likely to apply themselves and improve.  They generally listen to the coach and carry out what is required to the best of their ability.  They are better equipped to handle the rigours of AFL footy and also can bring themselves back from hardships like severe injuries (which he has had).

Over to you...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1212 on: April 26, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »

Tool.

Oh boo hoo - what a load of namby pamby crap."Oooh don't ever criticise the players because their mates might read it and they'll cry" Positive reiforcement - stuff me dead this isn't kindergarten or some Dr. Phil/Oprah Californian pop psychology bollocks. If he really has the "strength of character" you say he does then it should be water off a duck's back anyway. Posters like you seem to be unable to grasp the concept of a "discussion forum' or you think they should be just like sitting with the arse lickers in the cheer squad - a bland backslapping echo chamber of "Yay Reecey! Yay Jakey! Yay Griggy! Go Tiges!"

As for puling out the old "real supporters should only cheer & praise our players"  card  - well sorry but you can stuff right off with that shyte...if you want to play that game then I'll put it to you that "real" supporters - people who really care about this club- aren't the people who just blindly applaud everything the club does but are the people who demand & push it it to be the best it can be , who actually show concern when they feel the club is underachieving , who don't accept mediocrity and yes single out those who we don't believe are up to the job and are therefore letting the club down. Those who are genuinely worried about the future of the club if we go through too many more years of being perpetual losers and fail to attract new fans from the younger generations.  People, I might add, who've generally put more money & time into this club than most of the loudmouth so-called "brightsiders" who like to dictate to everyone the supposed "correct" way of supporting the club.

Players & coaches come and go, they're just employees - it's  the club we care about.

As for Conca - our skills & disposal are woeful through the middle and he's one of the main offenders. Pick 6 for what's essentially a slight upgrade on Shane Tuck is massive overs IMO.

- Thomas Sowell

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1213 on: April 26, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »

Tool.

Oh boo hoo - what a load of namby pamby crap."Oooh don't ever criticise the players because their mates might read it and they'll cry" Positive reiforcement - stuff me dead this isn't kindergarten or some Dr. Phil/Oprah Californian pop psychology bollocks. If he really has the "strength of character" you say he does then it should be water off a duck's back anyway. Posters like you seem to be unable to grasp the concept of a "discussion forum' or you think they should be just like sitting with the arse lickers in the cheer squad - a bland backslapping echo chamber of "Yay Reecey! Yay Jakey! Yay Griggy! Go Tiges!"

As for puling out the old "real supporters should only cheer & praise our players"  card  - well sorry but you can stuff right off with that shyte...if you want to play that game then I'll put it to you that "real" supporters - people who really care about this club- aren't the people who just blindly applaud everything the club does but are the people who demand & push it it to be the best it can be , who actually show concern when they feel the club is underachieving , who don't accept mediocrity and yes single out those who we don't believe are up to the job and are therefore letting the club down. Those who are genuinely worried about the future of the club if we go through too many more years of being perpetual losers and fail to attract new fans from the younger generations.  People, I might add, who've generally put more money & time into this club than most of the loudmouth so-called "brightsiders" who like to dictate to everyone the correct manner of supporting the club and what opinions they should have.

As for Conca - our skills & disposal are woeful through the middle and he's one of the main offenders. Pick 6 for what's essentially a slight upgrade on Shane Tuck is massive overs.
I can almost guarantee you that I have put more money over the last 50 years into the club than you. So just wack off.
If you read my posts you will see I am critical as well towards the club.  I don't need idiots like you telling me off for pandering to the club.

In the case of individual young players who have gone through hell to make it, I will always defend.  They don't need armchair critics like you who know stuff all to start laying in the boots and then saying they're weak if they can't take it.  A real supporter DOES support the youth in the club and tries to make it an environment they want to excel in, not a friggen nazi prison where they are afraid to take a risk or they will be shot by their supporters.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1214 on: April 26, 2014, 08:33:16 PM »

Tool.

Ok...
To the ones I didn't answer….
I rate about 25% of his games as very good, 25% as good, 25% as a bare pass and 25% that could have been much better.  Not too bad for someone who was thrust into the team a very early and with the injuries he has sustained.  And don't forget, he has been assigned tagging roles by the coach and many times he has sacrificed his game to carry out the job.

The question really is how many of his next 57 games will be rated as good?  Time will tell and in the next 3 seasons we will see if he was worth the pick "6" the club picked him up as.  To date he hasn't lived up to what a pick 6 is suppose to have done (whatever the hell that's supposed to be) but I did say there were good reasons for that which you have continually failed to acknowledge.

And while we're at it let's look at the last ten years of pick 6:

2004:  Tom Williams (WB)
2005:  Beau Dowler (Hawks)
2006:  Mitch Thorp (Hawks)
2007:  David Myers (Bombers)
2008:  Chris Yarran (Blues)
2009:  Gary Rohan (Swans)
2011:  Chad Wingard (Power)
2012:  Jackson Macrae (WB)
2013:  Matthew Scharenberg (Pies)

Out of that list I would have thought only 3 of the players listed have clearly been better than Reece who wasn't a real pick 6 anyway.   What do you think?

As for the nice guy part, you are twisting my words.  I said his greatest strength was his character, not being a nice guy.  Do I really need to explain what that actually means?  Well if you are so challenged you don't know, I will explain.  Guys with strong characters are more likely to apply themselves and improve.  They generally listen to the coach and carry out what is required to the best of their ability.  They are better equipped to handle the rigours of AFL footy and also can bring themselves back from hardships like severe injuries (which he has had).

Over to you...
Pretty sorry bunch of pick 6's if you ask me. I agree probably only 3 have shown more to date than your man Reece.  :thumbsup
That's not really the point is it though. Other teams picking duds is not what I am concerned about, it's us that concerns me.
I wasn't going to mention this but I will- I recently (within the last year) met though a mate a recruiter from another club. Now over about 300 beers the stories started to flow, and I thought I would ask about what he thought of at the time we took Reece over Heppell? He and his other recruiter friend just laughed. He said within the recruiting fraternity they all though FJ had lost the plot! And not just because of this one decision.
Now I have cleaned this up a fair bit, but I think you can get the picture.
True story.