Author Topic: Tiger baiting (Age)  (Read 10178 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger baiting (Age)
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2010, 07:27:36 AM »
The mining giants may baulk and carry on at the moment but at the end of the day they will suck it and absorb it. The extra costs and dangers of running mining operations in many other countries will still make Australia an attractive investment option.

If they do decide to leave our resources in the ground a little longer, then these resources will only become more valuable over time. The worlds resources are finite and as they diminish in volume those left behind become more valuable.

This super tax proposal is only part of a wider range of changes to the tax system, as recommended by the Henry Report, that is meant to reduce the tax burden on the rest of us.

Sorry Al I can not agree with your comments saying the Mining Giants will suck it up, Rio Tinto (who I worked for) have just pulled the plug on an 11.2 Billion Dollar upgrade of their Brockman 4 Mine in the Pilbara, as has Andrew Forest and another Queensland Billion Dollar company. I can tell you mate they will not just suck it and absorb it, they do not work like that.
I think we will all find that the mining giants are not pulling the pin on new projects due to the new tax but more so because of the financial crisis in Greece and Spain. It is thought by many economist to have the potential to cause a financial crisis worse than the last one! That is why the resources shares are losing value, not just in Australia, but world wide!

No GR12 sorry but not true, I havent even been out a year and I still communicate with many friends and work associates throughout mining. I can assure the financial crisis is over in mining, it just hasn't been a big as issue as when the down turn occured.

At Christmas time last year I was instructed to lay off 15 contract personnel as the global crisis was about to or was occuring, directly after Christmas in less than 2 weeks I was instructed to employ 16 contract employees and it has never ramped down. What people dont understand is that within the Pilbara we have the best crap (so to speak) Iron Ore in the world, we can combine that product with top grade Iron Ore from our other Pilbara deposits to come out with the best grade for export that is mixed with other Ore from around the word that in turn goes even further. In short, our ore is just about the highest demanded ore in the world.

The mining giants are not stupid, they are biding their time, but that time will never come if the 40% tax comes in.

But believe what you will, all I am trying to say is that I have jsut lived it for 25 years.. :thumbsup

P.S we used to have a laugh at what the so called econimists were saying, because most of the time nothing they said happened.
The reason why nothing happened that the economist predicted was due to the stimulus! If Australia has proposed a new mining tax which will make it the most expensive place to mine in the world, then why are resource stocks falling in all stock exchanges!  I agree that mining companies have gone gun shy since the new tax was proposed but don't under estimate jittery world markets due to the Europrean financial crisis! Greeces economy has totally collapsed and Spain is not too far away and the EU bail out has everyone nervous! It will impose similar conditions as the Treaty of Versailles upon them!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2010, 08:28:21 AM »

The reason why nothing happened that the economist predicted was due to the stimulus! If Australia has proposed a new mining tax which will make it the most expensive place to mine in the world, then why are resource stocks falling in all stock exchanges!  I agree that mining companies have gone gun shy since the new tax was proposed but don't under estimate jittery world markets due to the Europrean financial crisis! Greeces economy has totally collapsed and Spain is not too far away and the EU bail out has everyone nervous! It will impose similar conditions as the Treaty of Versailles upon them!

The only thing the economic stimulus did was move our country's hard-earned savings into the bank accounts of licenced clubs and wealthy retailers - the very types of organizations that prey on the the people who received it.  We had an economy strong enough to withstand very severe external pressures - indeed, most of the economies that we deal with in the world would have collapsed before ours, but our government made a knee jerk reaction and spent our entire surplus like it was the last Christmas.  As a result we are NOW exposed to the global financial crisis like never before.  And what is our government's reaction to the realisation it has a bare cupboard?  Well, lets just whack the biggest of taxes on the ONLY commodity we have to export that is capable of carrying our economy through these tough global times - let's not just bite the hand of the one that feeds us, let's gnaw it's whole bloody arm off!  Yes, the world markets are jittery and resource stocks are falling - all the more reason that we should have reined in our spending last year and protected our country's single biggest income stream, not blown it in a few months of madness and then turned to the resource sector to bail it out.  The resources and those that mine them are not a bottomless pit and for our own protection and financial health the whole sector needs our government to nurture and protect them in our hour of crisis.  Of course mining companies are gun shy - they don't become successful profit making businesses over many many years on the back of their financial stupidity.  Our government would do very very well to listen to them and learn from them but unfortunately listening and learning does not appear to be one of it's strong points.  This current government are proving more and more eerily similar to the government that holds the mantle as the most financially irresponsible and incompetent in our country's history - Gough Whitlam's bunch of ragtag incompetents - all action and no thought.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2010, 08:51:47 AM »
Andrew Bolt is a very clever man and a Richmond supporter. :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2010, 08:56:36 AM »
oh stuff me dead, you believe in santa clause too don't ya  :santa lol
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2010, 09:17:12 AM »

There is only one word to describe to describe Bolt.

a big CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sorry Mods but it is the only word to describe such a piece of .poo

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »

what has he done Dan that has you so riled.. besides maybe when he was working for the ALP?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2010, 09:54:44 AM »

what has he done Dan that has you so riled.. besides maybe when he was working for the ALP?

Andrew Bolt is the Terry Wallace of journalism.

All i used to read in his columns is his continual bias crap that shoots from his mouth. He is blinded by the real truth

if you like him good luck to you

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »

The only thing the economic stimulus did was move our country's hard-earned savings into the bank accounts of licenced clubs and wealthy retailers - the very types of organizations that prey on the the people who received it.  We had an economy strong enough to withstand very severe external pressures - indeed, most of the economies that we deal with in the world would have collapsed before ours, but our government made a knee jerk reaction and spent our entire surplus like it was the last Christmas.  As a result we are NOW exposed to the global financial crisis like never before.  And what is our government's reaction to the realisation it has a bare cupboard?  Well, lets just whack the biggest of taxes on the ONLY commodity we have to export that is capable of carrying our economy through these tough global times - let's not just bite the hand of the one that feeds us, let's gnaw it's whole bloody arm off!  Yes, the world markets are jittery and resource stocks are falling - all the more reason that we should have reined in our spending last year and protected our country's single biggest income stream, not blown it in a few months of madness and then turned to the resource sector to bail it out.  The resources and those that mine them are not a bottomless pit and for our own protection and financial health the whole sector needs our government to nurture and protect them in our hour of crisis.  Of course mining companies are gun shy - they don't become successful profit making businesses over many many years on the back of their financial stupidity.  Our government would do very very well to listen to them and learn from them but unfortunately listening and learning does not appear to be one of it's strong points.  This current government are proving more and more eerily similar to the government that holds the mantle as the most financially irresponsible and incompetent in our country's history - Gough Whitlam's bunch of ragtag incompetents - all action and no thought.
Sorry Smokey but i will disagree as i obviously come from a different political perspective (Keynesian)!
Australia's stimulus is and was a fraction per capita in Australia to the rest of the world and is hailed world wide as a responsible economic measure. The minimal loss of jobs saved people's dignity, kept GST rolling in and reduced welfare payments! Gough may have been to radical but lets face it, what he has introduced has remained even though we have had conservative goverments since then! The US has only just bought in it's equivalent to Medicare and the US has a user pays health system that further marginalises poor people! Conservative governments have sold all our utilities in the interests of competition yet these utilities have become incredibly inefficient to the point where it is costing more lives than insulation ever will. People in the country are losing children to asthma attacks as no-one from Telstra will fix their land lines or they live in areas that recieves no coverage (98 per cent coverage, what a joke! Everyone in the bush knows what a joke that is!)
As Australians we are incredibly conservative as compared to, say, European countries such as Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland and France! It is not too much different to footy, to spend is to create money!

Offline Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2010, 10:01:17 AM »

All i used to read in his columns is his continual bias crap that shoots from his mouth. He is blinded by the real truth

You didn't answer the question Dan! What has he done to deserve such a stinging criticism?

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2010, 10:10:19 AM »

You didn't answer the question Dan! What has he done to deserve such a stinging criticism?
I listen to MTR 1377 every morning @ 8am just to here 2 good Richmond supporters find more holes in the swiss cheese policies of the DUDD government.... and the Brumby government.
Recommended radio.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2010, 12:38:45 PM »
Ill be your huckleberry.  He has never won a debate, he gets dismantled by facts every time and resorts to crude insults and labels which reduces me to belly laughter so he does have entertainment value as a clown.  He spews right wing dogma and drivel non stop along with racist and other bigoted agendas that he conveniently backs up with inferred facts and no actual facts.  The bloke is a stuffing joke, lacks any sort of balance or objectivity and therefore cannot be a journalist, he is just an extension of the political apparatus pretending to be media which is dirty pool.  Journalism is supposed to be an unbiased and objective representation of the facts not political manipulation of the plebescite and what better word to describe those who let themselves be manipulated by this idiot. :lol
Lots of people name their swords......

« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:56 PM »
Ill be your huckleberry.  He has never won a debate, he gets dismantled by facts every time and resorts to crude insults and labels which reduces me to belly laughter so he does have entertainment value as a clown.  He spews right wing dogma and drivel non stop along with racist and other bigoted agendas that he conveniently backs up with inferred facts and no actual facts.  The bloke is a effing joke, lacks any sort of balance or objectivity and therefore cannot be a journalist, he is just an extension of the political apparatus pretending to be media which is dirty pool.  Journalism is supposed to be an unbiased and objective representation of the facts  not political manipulation of the plebesciteand what better word to describe those who let themselves be manipulated by this idiot. :lol

Never has been, never will be. Don't kid yourself.

The word "unbiased" should be defined as a theoretical concept only.

:thumbsup

Ramps

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2010, 12:43:37 PM »

Gough Whitlam too! Establishing the no fault fault divorce law, family law court, medicare, free tertiary education etc! A man well and truly before his time!

Please GR12!  He was the greatest loose cannon our country has ever had as Prime Minister.  All action and no thought - not the way I want my country governed, regardless of political persuasion.

How many times smokey have you been to the Doctors over the last 35 years using a medibank/medicare card and not have to pay?

For that one initiative, for that sole program Whitlam needs to be thanked by all of us who get cheap healthcare- And thats coming from someone who has voted for the Libs regularly over the last 15 years.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2010, 01:09:18 PM »

How many times smokey have you been to the Doctors over the last 35 years using a medibank/medicare card and not have to pay?

For that one initiative, for that sole program Whitlam needs to be thanked by all of us who get cheap healthcare- And thats coming from someone who has voted for the Libs regularly over the last 15 years.

I do have to pay Ramps.  The furphy that Medicare = "free" is just that - a furphy.  I get a Medicare levy taken out of my tax, just like everyone else, so when I attend a doctor and the account is bulk-billed or I pay a gap, I am still paying.  And the sad fact is that the level of care I receive is usually directly related to the level of reliance of the said medical establishment on Medicare for it's income.  In addition I maintained private health insurance through that entire period because I had no faith in the Medicare system as it is (and still don't) to provide for me or my family in a period of medical necessity.  It's a bandaid measure that has fooled the masses into thinking they were getting quality medical support for free.  Nothing could be further from the truth at all levels.  And before this becomes misconstrued as an anti-Labor rant, I believe the Liberal party have been just as gutless in not implementing a fairer system that provides true quality care and in which we all pay our fair share.  Medicare has not been dismantled not because it works, but because the succession of governments since it's inception have not had any intestinal fortitude to tackle the real issues surrounding the provision of health services in this country.  Same as our taxation system.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2010, 02:10:16 PM »
Australian mining companies have never had it so good as they did when their cheersquad the Liberal Party was in charge. The good times can't last forever, everyone with even a basic education in economics would know this.

Anyone with a substantially less than basic education in economics would also know that the way to deal with an economic crisis is not to splash out and spend your hard-earned savings in one fell swoop and expose yourself to the influences and vagaries of every other 2-bit economy in the world.  If our government had managed our country's savings prudently 18 months ago then they would have no need to consider imposing such a debilitating and worker-unfriendly tax.

So it is time that the industry was looked at.
Rio posted a 33% increase in profit (of nearly $5billion!) last year. BHP posted a $6.5 billion profit in the last 6 months of 2009 alone.
Nearly half of this profit is taken directly off shore, how exactly does that benefit Australia?
I'm all for it, in fact I don't think it goes far enough.

Do you have any idea how much capital investment it takes to produce this type of profit?  Where do you think all the flow on from the billions and billions of dollars spent earning this profit goes?  Into the pockets of everyday workers like yourself though all the infrastructure expenditure needed to support the industry, all over the country.  You should be very mindful of the wise old adage regarding biting the hand of the one that feeds you.

Rio Tinto (who I worked for) have just pulled the plug on an 11.2 Billion Dollar upgrade of their Brockman 4 Mine in the Pilbara, as has Andrew Forest and another Queensland Billion Dollar company. .
WAT I think these are just idle threats being made by the mining bosses to try and scare Canberra. And going by the full page ads placed by them in the age and the hun today it looks like they are trying on the scare campaign to the general public.

Nope, they will close a mine down as quick as you can snap your fingers.  My son works in a mine in the NT and they closed it down almost overnight for nearly 12 months recently because the price of resources dropped below their acceptable margin.  Don't kid yourself, they will only play bluff to a certain point.  After that it's every man for himself and it costs them a pittance to leave their 'gold' in the ground, it ain't going anywhere and they will just bide their time......dare I say it.....until a new government comes in?

This tax is an impost on the wealthy, but unfortunately it is them who will make everyone else pay for it, in the form of charging higher rates for it's minerals, sacking innocent workers and paying the existing ones less. 
Because there is no way known that these fatcats are gunna let these commo bastards steal what's rightfully theirs!

What a cliche, so Neanderthal it's funny.  I suppose they will use some of their mega-wealth to pay someone (on under award wages of course) to check the underneath of their beds for commies each night.   :lol

Post of the year so far

To all of you Andrew Bolt loving, SUV driving, stockmarket watching wannabes on OER, who probably stand to lose a couple of dollars off the value of their portfolio/super fund, I salute you for your greed and ignorance. In fact I would like to apologise for being a mere worker on award wages, I must be such a drain on you all for asking for a 3% pay rise each year. Maybe I can cut back on some things and accept the 2.5% offer instead  ::)

DallasCrane

I also work for a wage that I negotiated individually with my employer and both parties are happy with the arrangement.  And I refuse to tow any union-driven party line that directs me to accept conditions that support lazy sloths in my company and industry that bludge on the hard work of others.  And I will go to my boss to ask for a rise that I think is fair when I think its time.  And I don't own a car, or own shares, or even have a super portfolio that would support me for a year, let alone a lifetime.  So don't trot out your soapbox of the ages and proclaim it's the rich industrialist world against us workers - it's dated, it's irrelevant and it's demeaning to you as an adult capable of choices - free and individual thought.

And as for Andrew Bolt?  He has only ever worked for one political party in this country - I'll leave it to you to guess which one.

Now this is the post of the year!! Well Done Smokey!  :bow :clapping I think DCrane will think twice in future about making ridiculous and inaccurate mass generalisations. Brought me back to the old propaganda posters from WWI with German Gorilla's raping and pillaging.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us