Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 924726 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #2385 on: February 12, 2010, 02:40:14 PM »
According to BF they did 10 mins goalkicking practice.

Andy Collins said he's definitely playing on Sat and Cotch was limping thru the carpark, but he didn't look restricted, could just be his walk or a bit of soreness??

Cotchin was pushing Graham's car with Graham inside dancing the music he had on. Cotch looked fine pushing it, and refused one bloke's offer to help. Fwiw.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647617&page=41

While I was there they certainly weren't doing goal kicking practice

The were in groups of 6 or so doing handball drills
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2386 on: February 15, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »
The Tigers will train at the following times this week:

- Tuesday 16 February, Punt Road Oval, 10am.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2387 on: February 15, 2010, 06:10:36 PM »
Cool. I will be there.

I plan to throw things at Hislop & White.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2388 on: February 15, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
bouquets ?  ;D
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2389 on: February 15, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »
Cool. I will be there.

I plan to throw things at Hislop & White.

Just don't throw footballs at them as they will probably drop them.... :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2390 on: February 15, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »
Cool. I will be there.
Bents, can you find out how far away McGuane is. We need all the size we can get down back.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2391 on: February 16, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
if anyone is heading down today, could you keep a very very very very very close EYE on Ben Griffiths!

Griffiths, Foley, Jackson, Simmonds and McGuane!

i am guessing Troy Taylor will not be training. doesn't he have his court hearing in 2 days time?

those five players i would like to have full reports on!

ROFL!

sorry guys! after Saturday Night, my worry is in the midfield and forward structure ... which has always been the worry really!

:)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2392 on: February 16, 2010, 12:24:16 PM »
Richmond Tigers go back to basics

* Jay Clark
    * February 16, 2010 11:37AM

RICHMOND has got to work on the poor foot skills that plagued it during the 73-point loss to Hawthorn on Saturday night.

Clearly signalling his concern, coach Damien Hardwick made the Tigers do basic kicking drills for the bulk of this morning’s hour-long training session.

Groups of young players were made to retain possession with simple 20m chip passes from the backline while opponents applied defensive pressure.

But, as was the case against the Hawks, many kicks missed their targets, illustrating the massive challenge facing Hardwick and his young Tigers this season.

Richmond was made $3.25 favourite with Eskander's Betstar to win the wooden spoon after Saturday night’s loss to the Hawks.

Club leaders have called for patience this season as the club again looks to rebuild with youth from the draft.

However, amid the wreckage of Saturday night’s defeat, there was a significant positive in the blistering form of NAB Rising Star favourite Dustin Martin.

The midfielder trained well this morning although fellow midfielder Trent Cotchin did not participate in the main outdoor session at Punt Road as Richmond continues to carefully managing the injury-plagued onballer.

Brett Deledio came off the track early with a blood lip but there was little concern.

Veterans Troy Simmonds and Ben Cousins also completed training.

Tagger Daniel Jackson and defender Jake King did not join their teammates on the track but completed light kicking drills by themselves after the main session.

Neither appeared to be affected by injury.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-tigers-go-back-to-basics/story-e6frf9jf-1225830849244

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2393 on: February 16, 2010, 04:10:56 PM »
I went down to watch training this morning. You've got to love the media for contorting what happens at training into what they want to report. More on that later.

Rehab group:
Griffiths - ran a number of laps. He didn't appear to have any noticeable injury so maybe they are just trying to get his fitness up after missing a fair bit of footy last year.

Nason - jogged a lap and then walked a couple more. He's got a compression bandage around the knee. He kicked the ball with the opposite leg so he can put his bodyweight on the crook leg.

Jacko and Kingy - did the same program together. Jogged a few laps, did some 30-50m sprinting and then did some kick to kick after the main squad had finished training.

As for those who had been in the rehab group - McGaune and Thursty trained fully so I'm presuming they'll play in our next practice match in Yea.

Onto training itself. The first drill had the squad split into groups of 3-4 players around various points of the ground where you had to kick to the advantage side of a teammate from another group. I was behind the Northern end goal so you passed from near the goal-line to someone else who was leading to the forward pocket. This player would then hit a lead to the HFF and that player would then pass inside back to the corridor and so on with a ball being kicked back to the someone in the first group by the goal to start again. Yeah the footpassing was average from the same old same olds who we know can't kick but any journo could have said the same thing over past years as well. Hardly a revelation. The media acting as though this was the first Richmond training session they had ever turned up to  :sleep.  

Most of the rest of the session had the squad split in defence (Southern end of the ground), midfield/rucks (far wing), and forwards (Northern end) groups. The forward group near me consisted off Jack (vocal as ever instructing the others), Morton, Nahas, Roberts, Hislop. I think Thomson was out there too but I could be wrong.

For the next drill each group did the same thing which was the retaining of possession with 20-30m chip passes while opponents applied defensive pressure that the media were talking about. Basically it was keepings off as there were no marks paid. It was always plan on. Each group had 3 guys trying to spoil or force a bad kick. Once a mistake was made those players involved became the chasers.

Next up the defence, midfield/ruck and forwards group performed drills specific to their position. So the forwards worked on defensive pressure and a rolling zone from an opponents kick-in. Jack was constantly talking and pointing fingers instructing the zone. Basically a kick-in would go to one pocket and the zone would push over and then the next kick would go back across to the other side and the zone would follow. The midfielders concentrated on stoppage work at ball-ups and tackling. Simmo, Vickery, Gus and Browne were all involved. Even Lade joined in. At one stage we had the coaches up against the mids at stoppages which was kind of funny. I'm not sure exactly sure what the backline group was doing. It looked like they were trying to loop long kicks over a teammate's head so they could mark without stopping.

And that was about it for most of the squad who went inside. The rucks stayed out along with Collins and a couple of other small mids to do more tap and stoppage work with Brendon Lade. Contin did about 10 minutes worth of reflex handballs with a trainer. Jacko and Kingy stayed out longer to do some sprinting work as I mentioned.

Photos to come later on. Any questions fire away  :cheers.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2394 on: February 16, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »
awesome MT!

Alex Rance and Troy Taylor???

Alex Rance: did he train? and did Hardwick speak to him during training? not a good sign if he was sub-off during the second quarter.

Troy Taylor: did he train? isn't his court hearing or something on Thursday?

you mentioned about our forward group, any other talls apart from Riewoldt worked with the forward group?

:)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2395 on: February 16, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »
Thanks MT, top report. :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2396 on: February 16, 2010, 08:25:50 PM »
Fantastic report MT! The media never let the truth get int he way of a good story now do they  ::)

Great to see Hardwick ensuring he addresses fundamental problems immediately rather than just hope they go away. Until he can get rid of those players you mentioned we will just have to cope with some of these errors unfortunately.

Stripes

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2397 on: February 16, 2010, 11:13:04 PM »
Pics from Tuesday's training  :cheers.

Thumbnails: - Click to enlarge

Griffiths running laps // Astbury and the forwards

Forwards in the huddle // Martin tackles Vickery in the midfield stoppage work

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2398 on: February 16, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Thumbnails: - Click to enlarge

Hislop chips the forwards rolling zone // Midfield stoppage

Mids doing extra work after main training // Another midfield stoppage

jackstar is back again

« Reply #2399 on: February 16, 2010, 11:20:24 PM »
I went down to watch training this morning. You've got to love the media for contorting what happens at training into what they want to report. More on that later.

Rehab group:
Griffiths - ran a number of laps. He didn't appear to have any noticeable injury so maybe they are just trying to get his fitness up after missing a fair bit of footy last year.

Nason - jogged a lap and then walked a couple more. He's got a compression bandage around the knee. He kicked the ball with the opposite leg so he can put his bodyweight on the crook leg.

Jacko and Kingy - did the same program together. Jogged a few laps, did some 30-50m sprinting and then did some kick to kick after the main squad had finished training.

As for those who had been in the rehab group - McGaune and Thursty trained fully so I'm presuming they'll play in our next practice match in Yea.

Onto training itself. The first drill had the squad split into groups of 3-4 players around various points of the ground where you had to kick to the advantage side of a teammate from another group. I was behind the Northern end goal so you passed from near the goal-line to someone else who was leading to the forward pocket. This player would then hit a lead to the HFF and that player would then pass inside back to the corridor and so on with a ball being kicked back to the someone in the first group by the goal to start again. Yeah the footpassing was average from the same old same olds who we know can't kick but any journo could have said the same thing over past years as well. Hardly a revelation. The media acting as though this was the first Richmond training session they had ever turned up to  :sleep.  

Most of the rest of the session had the squad split in defence (Southern end of the ground), midfield/rucks (far wing), and forwards (Northern end) groups. The forward group near me consisted off Jack (vocal as ever instructing the others), Morton, Nahas, Roberts, Hislop. I think Thomson was out there too but I could be wrong.

For the next drill each group did the same thing which was the retaining of possession with 20-30m chip passes while opponents applied defensive pressure that the media were talking about. Basically it was keepings off as there were no marks paid. It was always plan on. Each group had 3 guys trying to spoil or force a bad kick. Once a mistake was made those players involved became the chasers.

Next up the defence, midfield/ruck and forwards group performed drills specific to their position. So the forwards worked on defensive pressure and a rolling zone from an opponents kick-in. Jack was constantly talking and pointing fingers instructing the zone. Basically a kick-in would go to one pocket and the zone would push over and then the next kick would go back across to the other side and the zone would follow. The midfielders concentrated on stoppage work at ball-ups and tackling. Simmo, Vickery, Gus and Browne were all involved. Even Lade joined in. At one stage we had the coaches up against the mids at stoppages which was kind of funny. I'm not sure exactly sure what the backline group was doing. It looked like they were trying to loop long kicks over a teammate's head so they could mark without stopping.

And that was about it for most of the squad who went inside. The rucks stayed out along with Collins and a couple of other small mids to do more tap and stoppage work with Brendon Lade. Contin did about 10 minutes worth of reflex handballs with a trainer. Jacko and Kingy stayed out longer to do some sprinting work as I mentioned.

Photos to come later on. Any questions fire away  :cheers.

MT, there lies the problem.
Why do they practice kicking the ball 20-30 metres at training for ?????
Tell you what happens on match day, they try and kick the ball 20-30 metres.
You know my past history and I have watched all clubs for years, except Richmond, Can tell you that Geelong and others are successfull for a reason.