Author Topic: Josh Gibcus [merged]  (Read 46070 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Josh Gibcus [merged]
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2022, 04:34:00 PM »
Kevin 'Shifter' Sheehan was asked about Gibcus and a rising star nomination. Shifter replied that Josh is "right on the edge" and as they move closer to the end of the season the weighting moves more towards choosing those with season long performances over best of the round efforts.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2022, 03:35:36 PM »
Aside from that 1-on-1 where Darling was too big  for him, Gibbo has done well. Nice goal too. Another half like the first and surely he'll receive a RS nomination this week.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2022, 03:42:16 PM »
The kid doesnt need a rising star nomination hes chasing a premiership medallion.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2022, 03:55:06 PM »
The kid doesnt need a rising star nomination hes chasing a premiership medallion.

Yep
Who cares about the Rising Star?
He can’t win it anyhow

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2022, 04:16:05 PM »
Aside from that 1-on-1 where Darling was too big  for him, Gibbo has done well. Nice goal too. Another half like the first and surely he'll receive a RS nomination this week.

Can't agree. I reckon he was average in the first half , his 3rd qtr was poor apart from that mark

He has to get this punching back into the centre corridor out if his game very quickly  it is costing us

Kids going to be a star, no doubt but there are some little things that are becoming bad habits
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2022, 04:16:39 PM »
Been poor and has been avg for 6 or so weeks now. First year player with plenty of upside but still need to call it as I see it. When Balta returns I’m not sure he’s in our 22 with Tarrant playing well lately.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2022, 05:42:21 PM »
Needs a rest imho

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2022, 06:36:12 PM »
I agree, he's struggled a little. I think he will struggle for best 22 when Balta comes back as I think Nank and Soldo combo works and Balta up forward doesn't work.
Go Tigers!

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2022, 06:38:23 PM »
He is 19 years old FFS.
A must keep IMHO.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2022, 06:47:19 PM »
He is 19 years old FFS.
A must keep IMHO.

What are you talking about?

No one is saying to get rid of him. People like me are saying currently he isn't playing very well and probably needs a rest in the VFL to get his confidence back
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #175 on: July 03, 2022, 06:50:03 PM »
He is 19 years old FFS.
A must keep IMHO.

What are you talking about?

No one is saying to get rid of him. People like me are aging currently he isn't playing very well and probably needs a rest in the VFL to get his confidence back
My apologies.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #176 on: July 03, 2022, 07:21:28 PM »
I think he should have 2 weeks off footy altogether then play 1 game in 2s then come back the next week. We need him to stand up and play as best he can in the finals.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #177 on: July 04, 2022, 03:27:21 PM »
I'm clearly in the minority  :outtahere but I rewatched the game on TV and I didn't think Gibbo was that bad in relation to how the team performed. He made 3 bad blues - two trying to open the play and the third when our defence was under siege in the 3rd qtr thanks to our asleep midfield up the ground. It was still less errors than some of his senior teammates on the day such as Floss and Graham. Perhaps I still judge him as a first year 19 year old KPP so I give him some slack. It was Dimma who started Gibcus on Darling leaving Tarrant as the loose man rather than other way around. Dimma isn't protecting him out there. For mine Gibcus did his job more often than not as his direct opponents did little damage. It was West Coast's midfield and half-forwards (Cripps) who were the ones we lost control of during the game and that sits squarely on our mids upfield.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #178 on: July 04, 2022, 03:56:23 PM »
I think Gibcus is going to be a very good AFL player for us. Not sure yet whether he’ll be the bees knees as some other people believe but time will tell. Rancey made just as many if not more errors early days and he didn’t even play in his debut season and he ended up being an all-timer.

But rightly or wrongly I can only judge him on his performances and to me he’s just been making too many basic errors lately that directly result in goals. Something you need in defence is to be cool under pressure and gibby has started turning the ball over when not under any direct pressure i.e. his cross field kick off halfback yesterday.

While we are going all out for a flag and whether people think it’s achievable or not, it’s clear that’s what we’re doing, we’ve just got to play our best 22 regardless of age. With Tarrant playing well lately and balta due back within a couple of weeks, I just don’t know if there’s a spot for him atm.

Nothing wrong with going back to the reserves and developing his game especially in his first season. He’s got all the time in the world.

Surely Tarrant, Balta, Grimes and Broad (could throw in vlas at a stretch) provides enough options against key position forwards. If they do want another body, would like to see Miller get a chance ahead of Gibcus on current form.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #179 on: July 04, 2022, 10:51:55 PM »
For about 4 weeks now i have thought he needs a rest or a change.
People go on at me about list management and team structure but Josh is not and should not be playing KPD ATM. at the moment means exactly that SO THERE CAN BE NO MISUNDERSTANDING.

Really believe we need to get games into kids but as usual its a balancing act.

Strongly believe we need a second really big bodied KPD and have thought that all year. for me that one should have been Miller and he should have played just as many games as Gibcus.

Look if honest even im starting to think maybe if we can stay healthy we can give it a nudge but we have to address some key areas where we have ABSOLUTELY NO DEPTH so injuries can't  derail us.Maybe its a already a bit late in the year for that.

Imo i want to keep getting games into Gibcus and that should have been the last three or four weeks up fwd with Miller playing kpd. Especially with no Balta in the team.
FFS lets find ways to get games into areas where we are deficient in depth.

Personally i think Balta should play fwd the need is also for a big bodied kpd to partner Tarrant he fits that bill also... Thinking is if JR and TL are fit then its a third tall we want and thats where maybe Gibcus can play allowing Balta to play back.  we need some tall cover fwd so why not Gibcus. Get him up high and make him a threat from 50 out.Let Jack and Tom get the heat and he can drift deep and be a threat.
For me it is the third tall fwd we lack and with dusty and injuries etc struggling for continuity, play Dusty mostly fwd as well if the other mids are fit and then allow Junior yes as a critic i think he has continually improved each game and Shai  thats a a fantastic structure and it is formidable as well.

Bottom line is im just looking at where i think we have little or no cover and depth and do something about it in case we need said cover.