Author Topic: Josh Gibcus [merged]  (Read 46059 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Josh Gibcus [merged]
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2022, 11:23:08 PM »
7news last night mentioned that Gibcus has added another 4kg to his frame on top of the 8kg he put in his first year at Punt Rd.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2022, 11:56:07 PM »
He came listed at 87kg...so are they suggesting he's now up to 99kg? Haha not likely.

Draft profile had him at 84kg and I doubt/would be thrilled if he was at 96kg but it seems a little quick IMO. Don't want him to lose pace.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2022, 09:40:22 AM »
Looking at the vision and granted it was training it was some sort of fashion shot thing he didn't look like he'd bulked up that much  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2022, 08:27:51 PM »
Young player X has bulked up [insert number] kgs.

Player Y is training the house down.

This is player's Z first full preseason in [insert number] years and he's never been fitter.

Welcome to preseason news  ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2022, 09:32:44 PM »
And in the draft, we can’t belive this player slipped to our picker, we rated him much higher

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #200 on: December 05, 2022, 12:25:31 PM »
And in the draft, we can’t belive this player slipped to our picker, we rated him much higher

Yeah lmao.

Thrilled we managed to get this kid sliding down to pick 50-odd. Sheesh I guess they have to say something positive for the fans don't they.

Can't exactly say 'we took a punt on a kid with a worthless 3rd rounder, fingers crossed'.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #201 on: December 05, 2022, 05:25:06 PM »

Yeah lmao.

Thrilled we managed to get this kid sliding down to pick 50-odd. Sheesh I guess they have to say something positive for the fans don't they.

Can't exactly say 'we took a punt on a kid with a worthless 3rd rounder, fingers crossed'.

To be honest fans would probably like or prefer that. Like something along the lines of how they handled mason cox when he first came over. Like look he has some attributes but obviously has serious deficiencies. We’ll support player X and hopefully help them realise their dream of making an afl debut

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2022, 09:11:25 PM »

Yeah lmao.

To be honest fans would probably like or prefer that. Like something along the lines of how they handled mason cox when he first came over. Like look he has some attributes but obviously has serious deficiencies. We’ll support player X and hopefully help them realise their dream of making an afl debut

Exactly and this is why I don't agree with the talent > need attitude once you're out of the first say 10-15 picks.

Like I understand we weren't going to take Jacon Van Rooyen last year over Gibcus, but once you're getting towards the end of the first round you're probably running out of that genuinely elite top talent and may as well draft a likely kid to a position that you're forecasting a need for.

Definitely anything 3rd round onwards too. Let's face it if we didn't draft some of these kids so late there's a good chance nobody would have and if they play 100+ games we will be both surprised and thrilled.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2023, 12:03:50 PM »

Yeah lmao.

Exactly and this is why I don't agree with the talent > need attitude once you're out of the first say 10-15 picks.

Like I understand we weren't going to take Jacob Van Rooyen last year over Gibcus, but once you're getting towards the end of the first round you're probably running out of that genuinely elite top talent and may as well draft a likely kid to a position that you're forecasting a need for.

Definitely anything 3rd round onwards too. Let's face it if we didn't draft some of these kids so late there's a good chance nobody would have and if they play 100+ games we will be both surprised and thrilled.

Agree with all of that. Yep we were going to take Gibcus and others in front of Van Rooyen but the exact thing your talking about Brown instead of Van Rooyen  late in the round at 17. For gods sake how many hbf did we need.

One point i disagree on 3rd round picks are not worthless every year there are enough very good kids taken after the first round and they are spread right thru to the rookie draft. Just go and have a look at players taken after say pick 20 over the last 10 drafts.

Further to your post in the last 10 yrs we have taken way too few talls especially fwds  which includes the nd, psd, rookie draft, trades and f/a.  We simply are not investing in very many at all. Gibcus is the only top 10 CCJ is next at 20 and imo with him we did what we always do hedge our bets. Balta at 25 and then you have to go deep into the draft to find a tall.

Gotta ask why are supporters not concerned with our ND drafting. again look at our first round picks over the last 10 seasons.

2013 Lennon   12.    Gone
2014 C Ellis     12.    Gone
2015 D Rioli    15.    Was just an okay pick until he went to the hb flank recently.
2016 Bolton    29.    best pick since Dusty in 2009.
2017 Higgins   17.   Gone and a ordinary pick imo.
2017 CC-Jones 20.  Gone and just like Higgins .
2018 RC-D      20.   Gone and to be honest probably will never get back.
2019 T Dow    21.   Has to be on his last legs if he cannot improve.
2020 ####    ##   Traded out of the Draft
2021 J Gibcus  9.   Early days looks the goods. Being  a top 10 pick you would hope so.
2021 T Brown 17.  Way too early to say.
2022 ####   ##   Traded out of the draft

We have used 10 first round picks in the last 10 seasons

5 are gone
1 likely on his last legs
3 good gets
1 too early to call

A side note is just two talls taken with first round picks in the last 10 seasons,  one ruckman who is no longer there and one kpd entering his second season.

Point is if as people are discussing you need to find the best players early and the ND is no good after the early rounds then we are not doing so well where you should be expected to be at your best.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2023, 12:18:52 PM »
Claw you could be a bit more honest with CCJ and Higgins as we received picks equivalent to the picks we originally gave for those players so they are not failures.

How ever Ellis and Lennon were butchered picks and I hope in the review the recruiting staff or coach involved in the selection were reamed out.

For 1st round picks their flaws were to great to even be considered.

Lennon lack of pace and agility

Ellis lack of production and mainly an outside player.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 05:44:16 PM by yandb »

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2023, 03:37:52 PM »
Claw you could be a bit more honest with CCJ and Higgins as we received picks equivalent to the picks we originally gave for those players so they are not failures.

Still a failure as it’s years lost and starting from scratch again
But yes , we did get picks back

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2023, 12:27:38 AM »

How ever Ellis and Lennon were butchered picks and I hope in the review the recruiting staff or coach involved in the selection were reamed out.

Okay if you want to go down that path. Mind its more about the use of the pick at the time but CC-J was a part of the Tarrant trade where Tarrant was almost the steak knives thrown in. We got a 2022 third round selection also.

The Higgins trade we recieved pick 20 which we traded to Geelong for their future first round pick  which was i think either 28 or 29 and a 2021 second round pick which became Judson Clarke.
The simple fact does not alter the fact we took Higgins at pick 17 which was a big mistake at the time.

And the jury is well and truly out on how well we did with what we got back.It does not alter the fact that imo the initial draft picks were ordinary.

FFS Here we were in 2017 screaming out for genuine tall fwds and bigger bodied ball winning mids and we took small fwd Higgins and Ruckman who could pinch hit fwd in ccj.Neither pick looked right at the time and does not look right now.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2023, 09:13:02 PM »

Yeah lmao.

Like I understand we weren't going to take Jacob Van Rooyen last year over Gibcus, but once you're getting towards the end of the first round you're probably running out of that genuinely elite top talent and may as well draft a likely kid to a position that you're forecasting a need for.

Agree with all of that. Yep we were going to take Gibcus and others in front of Van Rooyen but the exact thing your talking about Brown instead of Van Rooyen  late in the round at 17. For gods sake how many hbf did we need.

One point i disagree on 3rd round picks are not worthless every year there are enough very good kids taken after the first round and they are spread right thru to the rookie draft. Just go and have a look at players taken after say pick 20 over the last 10 drafts.

Further to your post in the last 10 yrs we have taken way too few talls especially fwds  which includes the nd, psd, rookie draft, trades and f/a.  We simply are not investing in very many at all. Gibcus is the only top 10 CCJ is next at 20 and imo with him we did what we always do hedge our bets. Balta at 25 and then you have to go deep into the draft to find a tall.

Gotta ask why are supporters not concerned with our ND drafting. again look at our first round picks over the last 10 seasons.

2013 Lennon   12.    Gone
2014 C Ellis     12.    Gone
2015 D Rioli    15.    Was just an okay pick until he went to the hb flank recently.
2016 Bolton    29.    best pick since Dusty in 2009.
2017 Higgins   17.   Gone and a ordinary pick imo.
2017 CC-Jones 20.  Gone and just like Higgins .
2018 RC-D      20.   Gone and to be honest probably will never get back.
2019 T Dow    21.   Has to be on his last legs if he cannot improve.
2020 ####    ##   Traded out of the Draft
2021 J Gibcus  9.   Early days looks the goods. Being  a top 10 pick you would hope so.
2021 T Brown 17.  Way too early to say.
2022 ####   ##   Traded out of the draft

We have used 10 first round picks in the last 10 seasons

5 are gone
1 likely on his last legs
3 good gets
1 too early to call

A side note is just two talls taken with first round picks in the last 10 seasons,  one ruckman who is no longer there and one kpd entering his second season.

Point is if as people are discussing you need to find the best players early and the ND is no good after the early rounds then we are not doing so well where you should be expected to be at your best.

3rd rounder these days after some bids and slides we're talking at least pick 40+ and for a club like us that's been at least moderately successful and not bottom 4 we're talking about pick 50-55? I know there's plenty of good kids are pick 20 but there sure as hell are a lot less after pick 50. Sure you can check every draft and find a gem who slid but for most guys going at 50+ I think most clubs are taking a punt and hoping for the best, not honestly thinking they'll get 100-200+ games out of a kid that late.

Agree re: drafting talks heck if it was me I'd be expecting 1 tall to be drafted basically every year you give them 2-4 years to show a bit and if they're not then you should have multiple more to try out.

Our drafting lately has sucked too, I agree with you quite comprehensively on your assessments and appreciate your recognition of Dan's contribution at HBF.

Boggles me that we took Brown over JVR.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2023, 09:15:17 PM »

Okay if you want to go down that path. Mind its more about the use of the pick at the time but CC-J was a part of the Tarrant trade where Tarrant was almost the steak knives thrown in. We got a 2022 third round selection also.

The Higgins trade we recieved pick 20 which we traded to Geelong for their future first round pick  which was i think either 28 or 29 and a 2021 second round pick which became Judson Clarke.
The simple fact does not alter the fact we took Higgins at pick 17 which was a big mistake at the time.

And the jury is well and truly out on how well we did with what we got back.It does not alter the fact that imo the initial draft picks were ordinary.

FFS Here we were in 2017 screaming out for genuine tall fwds and bigger bodied ball winning mids and we took small fwd Higgins and Ruckman who could pinch hit fwd in ccj.Neither pick looked right at the time and does not look right now.

Could have taken Oscar Allen, Tim Kelly, Balta all in the same draft.

Club was always going to give Naish a go for his dad.

So far I'm happy with Miller at 63.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2023, 09:47:23 PM »
I just don’t agree with the one dimensional review of first rounders - there aren’t many clubs who nail it year in, year out for multiple years.

It’s one element of recruiting along with late picks, father/son, rookie and trading.

I think we’ll know in 2-3 years how the regen of the list is looking. My guess is that we’ll trade into key position players because they are tricky to draft.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.