Author Topic: Who should we choose with our first draft pick?  (Read 34495 times)

the claw

Re: Who should we choose with our first draft pick?
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2013, 12:06:10 AM »
Best way to stuff your list is to follow trends Terry
lol the best way to fail is ignore the obvious.  is that yoiu spud.
hmm wallace believed the game would be 18 skinny flankers before it even happened . what is patently clear is the game has progreses toward 12  14  big bodied mids and utilities.thought vthat would be obvious to anyone who remotely takes an interest in the game.

you only need to look at just how many highly skilled small players are taken each yr and how many are totally ignored.  you only need look where most smls are taken now days not mant clubs are prepared to use high picks on smals no matter how well they have gone.
im not saying smalls dont have a place but they have to be damn near on elite in one or more areas of the game to even get looked at.

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2013, 07:03:19 AM »
Best way to stuff your list is to follow trends Terry
lol the best way to fail is ignore the obvious.  is that yoiu spud.
hmm wallace believed the game would be 18 skinny flankers before it even happened . what is patently clear is the game has progreses toward 12  14  big bodied mids and utilities.thought vthat would be obvious to anyone who remotely takes an interest in the game.

you only need to look at just how many highly skilled small players are taken each yr and how many are totally ignored.  you only need look where most smls are taken now days not mant clubs are prepared to use high picks on smals no matter how well they have gone.
im not saying smalls dont have a place but they have to be damn near on elite in one or more areas of the game to even get looked at.

To back up this, there is an interview Richo does with Cotchin where the Cap'n pretty much says the same thing. Big bodied midfielders are becoming more and more popular with a) the sub rule and now b) the interchange rotations cap. The last part of quarters and certainly the last quarter usually become more contested.

I like the sound of Salem, but in saying that, I trust Mr Jackson to make the first round pick correctly (gasp, shock, horror).

tony_montana

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2013, 07:56:10 AM »
Why has this discussion turned into one about big bodies? Are 183-185cm mids midgets?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »
It's called shifting the goal posts
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2013, 10:05:03 AM »
It's called shifting the goal posts

yep, some of these blokes are slicker than whale poo in an ice flow

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »
Trent Dumont is my pick. Was exceptional in the final series for Norwood and one of the best on ground on grand final day. Wins the hard ball as an inside player and links up well on the outside and kicks it well. 185cm and 87kg...he is ready to go.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2013, 02:16:39 AM »
@mightytiges - Any whispers Brett on whom Richmond is looking at with their first pick?

‏@BrettAndersonIF - "Not at this stage. I think Lewis Taylor would be a good fit though!"

https://twitter.com/BrettAndersonIF/status/389688444751863808

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »
Gentleman

McVeigh = 184 = plus six foot

186 = plus six one

If you draft a mid 5 11 or smaller you taking a risk. Tom Scully (Martin) and Marc Murphy (Pendlebury), even.  Granted those sydney players are excellent. Jack is abit of an out of the box selection as he is a superfreak. RFC should trade for his brother...

. evertitt 194
goodes 191
rampe 189
rohan 189
mattner 188
kennedy 188
malceski 188

etc.

Of course not every short player is bad but you have to be exceptional like Sam Mitchel or an indigenous speed demon preferably.

Hodge plays tall beating ruckman when he plays as the back pocket / quarter back.... One could argue that position is arguably more important than pure midfielder these days.

is birchall a kpp?

You know what a mid is right?

Im not sure. Why dont you give me the definition? IMO the way the game is played now with running, zones, flooding, rugby there is not more mids. Certainly not in the rover, ruck rover sense. For me anything that is not a 'tall' ie. ruckman or chf/chb etc. is a 'runner' or a mid.

Sample size says you are correct

the top four and we are in the process of discussion - the 5th team.  ;)

This started bc you called a 183cm mid in the draft a midget, and I said no its not, now you say 184 is ok which is what i said in my original post - 183-185 is not midget territory and that size mid can hold their own against mids 1 or 2 inches taller than them. If you're talking 175-178cm then yes they will struggle against those 4 inches taller.

Seems 6'1" at least is the go, that puts me out. However Greg Williams  176 and K bartlett 177 seemed to go OK or  Sam Mitchell 179 but is the day for that size player gone?

gerkin greg

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »
like when they said Power forwards were dead...
and contested football...
and ruckmen...
and only athletes would get drafted...

it's bogus Ted

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »
With the interchange cap coming in, I'd be happy with a 180cm+ hard running player with a competitive spirit. Elite kicking will be a plus but if that isn't an option, a hard running nut with good tackling pressure and able to dish out the ball by hand to say a deledio or a martin would satisfy me.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
Looking at the draft how do we rate Blake Acres? May be overlooked due to last season, good size and weight,
Billy Hartung too small and light
matt Crouch looks great
Cam McCarthy and Marcus Bontempelli - 194cms and 84 kg - are they talls or smalls?
Christian salem too light?
Lewis Taylor too small and too light
nathan Freeman at likely pick 9 looks like our man 184cm and 85 kg
Freeman is the bolter of this year's draft having quietly crept up on a few of his contemporaries and he has done it through being dynamic. The strong-bodied midfielder finished the year well with the Sandringham Dragons, is a reliable kick, and loves to win the ball at stoppages and then burst from them. Showed his running prowess at the combine when he was ranked quickest for the repeat sprints (23.62 seconds), second for the 20-metre sprint (2.82 seconds) and 10th for the beep test (level 14.10).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-09/phantom-draft

Picks 1-8 dont even consider them as we won't get them
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:36:45 AM by MintOnLamb »

dwaino

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »
Being pretty vanilla here but I'd love Salem but if Pies trade Shaw for Adams and keep their 2 picks I hope we have a plan B as I reckon he'd be the next cab off the rank after the top 10.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2013, 01:28:23 PM »
If you are the size of Sam Mitchell you have to be outstanding. Which Mitchell is.

The kid that won the TAC 18 best and fairest, twice. Was not drafted.

It'd be a lot harder for a Greg Williams or Sam Mitchell to be drafted today rather than 10-30 years ago

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2013, 01:32:25 PM »
like when they said Power forwards were dead...
and contested football...
and ruckmen...
and only athletes would get drafted...

it's bogus Ted

If u can runnot run all day or are short/fat its hard to be drafted.

I know u don't like this news. Perhaps take it up with the rules committee or the list managers / recruitment

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2013, 01:35:26 PM »

It'd be a lot harder for a Greg Williams or Sam Mitchell to be drafted today rather than 10-30 years ago

Mitchell was overlooked in the 2000 draft and was picked up from a VFL side at #36 a year later.

That wasn't exactly a smooth transition into the AFL.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do