Author Topic: Adam Goodes racially slurred incident  (Read 6430 times)

dwaino

Re: Adam Goodes racially slurred incident
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2014, 02:21:40 PM »
Good read. The more these sorts of things are singled out and highlighted the further away equality gets. Equality is when we don't need a special round of footy to commemorate those of a different race or nationality, or when we need to bend over backwards and give handouts to descendants of some people who were wronged by some of our ancestors (not mine, mind you). Like the part where the author says he refers to himself as 'silverback.' A big part of being Australian is the ability to take the mickey out of yourself.

Or have an AFL round for us White Aussie bogans ;)

That would be racist  >:(

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2014, 08:02:25 PM »
I respect the view of the blogger but I'd also respect the views of others who may feel differently.

In the heat of the moment, Adam Goodes had every right to be offended that night - who the stuff has the right to tell him how to feel?
Certainly not the blogger or any of you.

I reckon he could've handle the aftermath better - when the heat of situation had settled and he was aware of the way that girl was treated.
Because Goodes should've realised that all people have rights - in the end, that little girl ended up being treated far worse than anything she dished out to him.
 At that point, in my view the agenda should've changed from the comment to the way that girl was treated - ironically being taken away from her grandmother by security guards and then the wonderful world of on line lynching - media and social media afterwards.

That is where he lost me.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2014, 08:37:07 PM »
Another thing. This idea of "I'm offended". Well I've got news for you. I'm offended by a lot of things too. Where do I send my list? Life is offensive. You know what I mean? Just get in touch with your outer adult. And grow up. And move on. Reasonable people don't write letters because... A: They have lives and B, they understand it's just TV. C: If they see something they don't like, something they do like might be on later. I've seen many comics I've hated. I've seen many shows that have offended me. I've never written a letter. I just go about my life.