Author Topic: The glory of this mad game - Martin Flanagan  (Read 958 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The glory of this mad game - Martin Flanagan
« on: March 15, 2008, 03:38:56 AM »
The glory of this mad game
Martin Flanagan | March 15, 2008 | The Age

The Olympics have long been a plaything of big powers. But I'll be going to the footy. Footy's mad. You've got to understand that. No sane person would, for example, follow Richmond.

I can assert this as a fact because four days after the attack on the World Trade Centre in 2001 I went and stood with the Tiger Army as its team took on its most hated enemy, Carlton, in an elimination final.

The Tiger Army is insane. Four days earlier the world had tilted on a course that could lead to any number of disasters. I've walked into the MCG thinking if I was to hurt Australians on this day, this is where I'd do it, and I've gone there to watch a game. To watch what? A game!

I describe this incident at the start of my book The Game In Time of War and will not summarise it further beyond saying I surrendered completely that day.

I surrendered to the foul-mouthed pandemonium around me and forgot about the rest of the world and saw only the glory of this mad game we play as if something seriously depends on it.

I went home like a didgeridoo that's just been played — hollow but humming.

The day the planes struck the World Trade Centre something happened to me. I went to Richmond training. I wrote about a bloke of Middle Eastern appearance with a woman in a headscarf.

He was in a Tiger guernsey, tossing a footy around in his fingers. His name was Waleed Aly. You may have read some of his writing.

If this were written on my blog, it would trigger any number of rants about Muslims but I believe what my father-in-law, a working-class man from the west coast of Tasmania, says. Speak as you find.

Waleed's a good bloke. I rate him seriously as a writer. He's also a former Richmond mascot since his friend, a drama student called Geoff who had the contract for the job, couldn't do it several times and Waleed, literally, stood in for him.

Waleed ran around the MCG in a Tiger suit and people handed him their babies and took photographs. Waleed wondered what would happen if they knew the Tiger was a Muslim.

Waleed and I try to get to a game together each year.

As it happens, we went to Jason McCartney's comeback game after the Bali bombing. It's the only time in my life I've seen a Buddhist monk in saffron robes at the footy.

A couple of years later, through former Freo coach Gerard Neesham, I met Andrea Goddard, the woman who took the monk to the game. Playing for the Kangaroos in that match was Troy Makepeace. At one point, he made a mistake, turning the ball over. "Geez, Makepeace!" cried a voice. "Ah, I understand now," said the monk. "It is a holy game". True story.

Waleed and I also went during the last Olympics. That's when I knew footy was a great game. The Olympics were on TV that afternoon. It was raining.

And 20,000 people had turned up at the MCG to see Hawthorn, itself not the power of yore, play Richmond, the cause of perennial suffering to its followers. Footy's mad. We need it to be. Go Tiges!

Full article at: http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-glory-of-this-mad-game/2008/03/14/1205472087149.html

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The glory of this mad game - Martin Flanagan
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »
Thats exactly right! You go the footy and its the be all and end all and all other world news takes a back seat.....then you lose and you walk out and say to yourself "well, its only a game, 9/11, bali bombings, tsunamis, car crashes, thay are all much much worse" But, while you are there, the performance of your team and the score line is the only thing that matters.
And, the tiger army is a great place to hide and lose yourself in the "foul mouth pandemonium" when you are losing, I would rather stand there than be in one of the corporate boxes when the tigers are playing! :gotigers

Little Jackie

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 04:43:13 PM »
2JD, no doubt I will have to take you to a corporate box one day :cheers

Might add that the Mediallon Club at the dome with the TV sets on the seats is fantastic :thumbsup

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 04:52:53 PM »
Na Jack, i'm a bogan deep down, Ive been in the corporate boxes, its not where I'm comfortable lol, keep getting the feeling I have to behave and its hard to behave when your tigers are playing lol Besides if I want to watch the game on the tv, i'd stay at home, I much prefer to be down with the yobbos :cheers But I will have a drink and a sausage with you at punt road before the game sometime ;D

Little Jackie

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 05:48:26 PM »
2JD, you do watch the game outside, the TV,s are connected to the armrests, great when the tigers are getting beat as you can swap channels and get on to Sky Channel and watch the trots or the Greyhounds

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 06:40:36 PM »
I'm on your side 2JD.  Have watched many sports from a corporate box - AFL, NRL, even American Baseball but when it all boils down nothing matches the passion and there is only one place to watch the Tiges - standing room, MCG.   :thumbsup :gotigers

Moi

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 06:52:58 PM »
keep getting the feeling I have to behave and its hard to behave when your tigers are playing lol
Had that feeling in Sydney once when I sat in the Toohey's box, thought I better be good.  But had an almighty good time arguing with the box next door all afternoon.  Was a good day except we lost  :-[

Sat in the Nissan box with Leon once up at Brisbane.  Gotta say it was pretty relaxed and not snobby at all. 

I guess if you're sitting behind glass it is - I hate that - but some boxes have outdoor areas as well, so you get the atmosphere.

I reckon if you get the chance 2JD take Jack up on his offer and take him to town with the smoked salmon and champers lol.

Little Jackie

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 06:54:51 PM »
I have no problems looking after my friends, 2JD is welcome , anytime ;)

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
lol thanks jack i really appreciate the offer and i know i'd be looked after, but i only get to go to half the games and id rather be outside barracking with my buddies, trying to have fun. Ive been in both types of boxes and you know me moi, i hate the arguing lol.........but if it will give you two common ground and stop you arguing, then keep trying to sell me the idea  :D :rollin

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 04:33:23 AM »
Ah my path down the road of insanity will be further enhanced now that the cavalcade that is the footy season is here again. But I would have gone crazy much much earlier had it been not coming at all. Give me my buddies and seats at the G.
2JD you are a real trouper champ. :thumbsup