Author Topic: Wallace's aftermatch media conference  (Read 621 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace's aftermatch media conference
« on: April 20, 2008, 06:00:13 PM »
Wallace in his press conference:

* Had a draw at the Dogs when Lloyd kicked a point on the siren. That was relief. This was disappointment as we were front.

* Game full of momentum swings. Dogs up by 4 goals in the 2nd and then we were up by 4 goals in the last. We ran out of legs a bit. The Freo game in the heat might have taken a bit out of us. Reiterated his pre-game point about having night games in Perth.

* They're 4 years ahead (Murphy group vs Lids group). Not a 4 year gap today but experience wise in the end it showed.

* When icing the clock you got to find space so you can go back, forward, sideways; not consentina yourselves into a corner like when King conceded a point.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace stung by result (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 09:56:28 PM »
Wallace stung by result
richmondfc.com.au
Ben Broad
 7:11 PM Sun 20 April, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace admitted Sunday’s thrilling draw against the Western Bulldogs might take some time to get over after his side threw away a 25-point lead mid-way through the final term.

But despite not getting one over his former club, the Tigers coach was all praise for his side’s endeavour in its round five clash with the unbeaten Bulldogs.

“It’s a massive sting,” Wallace said after the match.

“It feels more like a loss than a win.”

Wallace took his players behind closed doors after the match after they gave up a 19-point lead with five minutes remaining to eventually finish locked with the Dogs.

When the siren sounded at full-time, it brought to a close one of the most entertaining matches of the season, with Richmond 20.10 (130) sharing two premiership points with the Bulldogs, 19.16 (130).

But Wallace will take several positives from the match.

“You’re a glass half-full person or glass half-empty person. I sit there at the end of the day and say, ‘Well, I had a group of guys who worked their backsides off for their football club, their supporters and for me as a coach’,” he said.

“They just couldn’t get the mechanics of the game right [at the end] – which we can work on.

“I’d rather a side that’s playing with heart and soul, and we can work on the mechanics.”

Richmond had looked headed for victory, and was still a goal up with 30 seconds left before Bulldogs defender Brian Lake floated forward to take a big pack mark.

Upon taking the mark, Lake – not noted for his goalkicking – appeared injured and left the field, unable to take his kick.

The umpires decided big Bulldog Will Minson should instead take the kick, and he duly potted the six-pointer which resulted in the teams sharing the points.

The Tigers coach had a wry smile when asked about Lake's inability to shoot for goal.

“Is he injured, is he?” Wallace asked when asked about Lake.

“I bet you he plays next week.”

The Tigers coach wouldn’t be drawn on whether the rules could be manipulated too easily – allowing other players to kick for goals in crunch situations – but said he feared the worst when Minson ended up with the footy.

“Lindsay Gilbee almost got [a] stitch running from one end of the ground to the other end to try to accept it,” Wallace said.

“So our blokes tried to shepherd him off.

“But to be honest, when they finally came up with whose ball it was and it was in Will Minson’s hands, I knew we were in trouble because he’s kicked some pretty good goals in recent times. I thought he was probably the right man for them to have the ball.

“[But] I would have rathered Brian have it.”

Wallace, however, said his side should not have put itself in that position, and should have been able to spoil Lake’s mark.

Wallace also believed his side’s shorter preparation might have played a part in its late fadeout.

“I still think the fixturing [could be better],” he said.

“I’m not looking for excuses or anything like that but … we didn’t get in until 1.30 on Monday morning [and] the Bulldogs were coming off a Friday night game, so I reckon they were probably fractionally fresher than us. But that’s a learning experience for our guys too.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=58240

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace: Don't blame King
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:25:12 PM »
Wallace: Don't blame King
20/04/2008 7:40:48 PM
Paul Gough
Sportal

Full article at:
http://sportal.com.au/AFL-news-display/wallace-dont-blame-king-46988

"There are probably half a dozen things we could identify we did wrong at the end there so it identify just one thing is very unfair," he said.

Wallace said King only rushed a behind because he felt he had no safe target to kick the ball to.

"We just didn't get the ball out (into space) before we tried to play that style of footy," he said of his team's failed bid to slow the game down and keep possession in the dying minutes.

"But that is a learning experience for our guys but it's a very harsh lesson."

"We just didn't handle that last four minutes as well as we could have."

"There are probably four or five actions we will look at in our (post-game) review - from (missed) opportunities to spoil the ball to missed tackles to kicking down the line to stepping back through the goals (and conceding a rushed behind as King did)."