Author Topic: Richmond likely to offer Damien Hardwick contract extension (Herald-Sun)  (Read 6788 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond likely to offer Damien Hardwick contract extension

Jon Ralph
    June 23, 2011 9:07PM

RICHMOND is set to show its faith in coach Damien Hardwick by offering him a contract extension only two seasons into his time at Punt Road.

Richmond president Gary March said yesterday the Tigers board had not yet officially raised Hardwick's contract as an agenda item.

He is likely to be offered a one or two-year extension past his initial three-season deal.

Hardwick will present his half-year report at next month's board meeting, an ideal time to start discussions on that contract.

"We will have a look at it (at) some stage in the second half of the year," said March of the extension.

"We look at it a bit like player contracts - if you feel you have the right person you prefer to lock them away sooner rather than later. It hasn't come on to the agenda yet but I dare say it will.

"We always ask Damien to present at the halfway mark of the year to talk about the KPIs the coaches have set themselves."

The Tigers brains trust is thrilled with the development across the board, although the defence is still considered too porous.

Much of that has come down to the injuries to key backs, with the club's best defender, Kelvin Moore, not playing a single game.

Dylan Grimes also went down with season-ending hamstring surgery, while David Astbury is out with a dislocated kneecap.

Full-back Alex Rance has improved significantly in his absence, with the coaching of former Brisbane Lion Justin Leppitsch seen as integral in his development and body positioning.

The club's clearance and centre-bounce numbers are way down on last year but better use of the ball has Richmond pushing for September.

Richmond will gain a better understanding of where it is at when it takes on another finals aspirant, Melbourne tomorrow.

The Tigers are encouraged by the recent progress of Mitch Morton, who has returned to the club after time away for personal issues.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-likely-to-offer-damien-hardwick-contract-extension/story-e6frf9jf-1226080869387

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Good idea but Make it 1 year Tigers, as good as it looks we've been burnt too many times in the past
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
Dimma is the key to the future success of our Mighty Tigers through his knowledge of the game and his coaching methods which have brought our team from the bottom to be on the way to the top while developing player's skills, team ethic and a sound gameplan.

I'd be happy to give him another 3 year contract because it does take a long time to get up the ladder and once there it will be vital to keep consistency in the hierachy to ensure we stay there for as long as we can.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I am happy with Dimma as coach, think he is doing a great job

But I have to say I not a believer in giving contract extensions to coaches when the existing contract has another 12 months to run anyway.

Dimma isn't going anywhere so why the rush?

Let's just concentrate on getting through this season and then look at this in 2012
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

But I have to say I not a believer in giving contract extensions to coaches when the existing contract has another 12 months to run anyway.

Let's just concentrate on getting through this season and then look at this in 2012
True! Let us not forget the mistakes Essendon made with extending Knight's contract early! Having said that though, i think Dimma is a much better coach than Knighta!

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.

Totally correct, I absolutely hate it when March talks to the media, has no idea.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
On another point in the article: Since when is Kelvin Moore our best defender? There was evidence that Dylan Grimes had already surpassed him in that third tall role. I reckon we're missing Grimes' input much more.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero

Agree with this 100%.

Why wouldn't you just renew a contract when the previous one is close to expiry? How many coaches have been 'poached' in the history of the AFL? Bugger all and none in recent years.

Imagine if he got a an extension and then the arse fell out of the side next year and finished bottom 4, while Mick Malthouse splits from Collingwood and is without a job.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
Sounds like the media asked March the question to get a story. I dont think he just started talking about Hardwick's contract. Nothing will come of this until next year.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
On another point in the article: Since when is Kelvin Moore our best defender? There was evidence that Dylan Grimes had already surpassed him in that third tall role. I reckon we're missing Grimes' input much more.

What? Since when was Grimes playing third tall? He was full back when he played this year. Moore is definitely one of our best defenders

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Totally correct, I absolutely hate it when March talks to the media, has no idea.

Well said, March and Craig Cameron should never be allowed near a microphone. It is always cringe-worthy.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
why is anyone surprised. Nothing new to me when March/Cameron leak information out to the public.

Absolutely against this, no matter how much i like Dimma.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

Exactly gag March and Cameron for good.

No need to offer a contract extension until this time next year even though I feel as most do that Dimma has done a splendid job thus far with our list and our playing style as well as the morale of the players. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
There's only four reasons I can think of as to why you would extend someone's contract this far out from the end of the current one ..
(a) He'll either walk or be poached to a better offer near the end of the current deal (That's not Dimma's style)
(b) You're 100% convinced he's the right and best man for the job.
(c) You can sign him up now to a cheaper salary than if you wait until next yeat and we end up well exceeding our expectations (ie. playing finals in 2011 & well on our way to playing finals again in 2012).
(d) It'll take pressure off the club next year when Dimma is in his final year of his contract and the media will jump on every loss equating it to whether Dimma survives or not.

IMO we should wait until the beginning of next year at the earliest. While things are looking up and improving on-field from where we were we are still daylight away from being a genuine top side. Way too early to judge yet. I wish too March and the Club would shut their traps when it comes to things like this.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame

What? Since when was Grimes playing third tall? He was full back when he played this year. Moore is definitely one of our best defenders

The claim in the article was that Moore is our BEST defender, which I just find ludicrous. Grimes may have started at full back, but was initially monstered by players like Franklin and Cloke. It was only when he was given the job of third up tall, which he's more suited to at the minute while he's still developing, that he started to shine.