Author Topic: Draft Day 2009  (Read 4097 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Draft Day 2009
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:09:48 PM »
Jon Ralph from the Herald-Sun was on the Fifth Quarter tonight and he said Richmond and Melbourne may not be able to go for 5 or 6 kids this year because this year's draft is weak - little star talent and lacking depth. That's on top of GC17 getting the twelve best 17 year olds. Ralph also said clubs may draft picks away for players to compensate.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: 2009 - a weak draft?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:42:26 AM »
I've read otherwise, however very few drafts are deep enough to get solid players in the 5th and 6th rounds.
The raising of the draft age last year means more kids qualified for this year, however GC17 will get to take the best bottom agers out of the draft which weakens it a little bit.

There are a couple of decent talls, but not many, quite a few good mids though. Glad we went tall in the last draft.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »
We need do the proper reaseach / due diligence, for too meny years we have been foolish and listens to those who don't know or just like to suck us in because we were dumb!

I am sure you all know the examples.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 01:09:40 PM »
There is still quality at the top end so I think saying it's a weak draft is a cop out. John Butcher would've been top 5 last year if he was eligible and he should be top 5 again this year. The hardest part of this draft is clubs will be unwillinging to trade away high picks before GC17 comes in.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 02:32:51 PM »
Id like us to get a KPF but if we cant then Scully would be ok to - he would add to our mids. At this stage my hope is

1st Round Tom Scully
2nd Round Ben Griffiths

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 10:54:36 PM »
Scully and Butcher would be in the top 3 at this stage. Early days though at this time of the year.

2008 U18 Champ highlights:

Tom Scully - 15/05/1991 - 182cm - 74kg - Dandenong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTAm5DluQf0

John Butcher - 03/07/1991 - 197cm - 84kg - Gippsland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CDa74UishA&feature=related

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 02:48:43 PM »
Melbourne recruiter Barry Prendergast's view on this year's draft....

The new Gold Coast club will then have exclusive access to a dozen 17-year-olds born from January 1 to April 30, 1992, a group that under previous rules would have been available to all AFL scouts.

The changing landscape means Melbourne recruiting manager Barry Prendergast is planning for a weakened draft in November.

"It's not going to be as strong as last year by the sheer fact that potentially 33 per cent of the draft isn't going to be there with those under-17s out," Prendergast told afl.com.au.

"But I don't think the draft is as strong at the top end as it was last year, because players who were left over from the AIS squad the year before – like Nick Naitanui, Tyrone Vickery, Daniel Rich and Hamish Hartlett – don't appear to be left over."

Prendergast said the 2008 draft pool was an exceptional year.

"I think history will probably judge last year's draft as pretty rich in terms of talent, and that's starting to come through," he said.

"As to how deep [this year's draft] is, I don't think you can really judge that until the championships.

"I think a lot of teams probably looked to load up on last year's draft and maybe they'll look the other way this year."

Prendergast said trading or retaining players on lists may also become a greater option at the end of the year.

"The other side of it is that clubs might decide to hang onto some of their players and they might look at their players on their list and think that they're a bit more 'glass half-full' than empty," he said.

"They might look at their own playing stocks in relation to the draft itself, so I'd imagine trading will be dependent on recruiting staff and coaching staff getting together and evaluating lists versus the draft as clubs always do in this situation."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/76860/default.aspx

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:22:24 PM »
we need to continue to invest in the rookie draft, already we are seeing divs with Nahas and Browne looking likely...thats a great return from 4 picks with gourdis and gilligan still largely untried and silvestor capable enough should we need him...I would shift the focus to key marking forwards...rookie 3 of them in hope at least one is ok :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 11:29:02 PM »
Being a veteran, Joel retiring will open up another rookie spot next year. It will also allow us the opportunity to promote one of the rookies without needing a senior listed teammate to go onto the LTIL. On top of that IIRC clubs will be allowed 8 rookies due to the Gold Coast taking the 17 year olds.

Ramps

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 06:06:31 AM »
Has Gilligan put on any weight at all?

Tigermonk

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 07:00:33 AM »
Scully and Butcher would be in the top 3 at this stage. Early days though at this time of the year.

Can tell you Butcher is a talented player but there are many more players out there like him
dont anybody be fooled about drafts not having players of top quality
backmen are hardly ever mentioned in best players & write ups,  its always the rave for the ball getters & goal kickers
unless your viewing TAC games live dont go by what you read in the papers cause people like Ralph hardly leave the office

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 10:43:58 PM »

Can tell you Butcher is a talented player but there are many more players out there like him
dont anybody be fooled about drafts not having players of top quality
backmen are hardly ever mentioned in best players & write ups,  its always the rave for the ball getters & goal kickers
unless your viewing TAC games live dont go by what you read in the papers cause people like Ralph hardly leave the office
I wasn't basing my opinion on what I read in the papers or on the net. I've seen Butcher play live last year in the U18 champs. The kid can play and would've been a top 10 pick if not top 5 last year if he was eligible. Why I've pointed him out at this still early stage is we need at the very least a gun big key forward (two would be better) to add to our list and as they develop straighten us up as a team. If the best available at our first pick is a talented young big key forward then it's a no brainer.

I agree TM that it's too early to judge properly the quality and depth of this upcoming draft yet.

Tigermonk

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 07:28:47 AM »
Melbourne scouts are monitoring the progress of Butcher closely.
l have overheard would be glad to have him in the forward-line with Watts as they are building thier side for the future just like Hawks did with Roughhead & Franklin
Pushed hard by his father as well who ya need a crowbar to get him off his back  ;D

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Draft Day 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Question ? If we finish say last or second last and Melbourne dont win 5 games what paick do we get assuming we dont win more than 5 games also.
And looking forward to draft day as its the only thing left to wait for what type of player can we expect to get at 1, 2 or 3.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Draft Day 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 04:19:01 PM »
Don't rule out West Coast either, though they should win 4+ games.

Melbourne finish bottom with less than 5 wins - they get pick 1, 2 and 17
We finish 2nd last with less than 5 wins - We get pick 3 and a priority for example pick 18 and 20.

We finish bottom with less than 5 and Melbourne 2nd last with less than 5 it's the Carlton scenario again.

We get pick two, Melbourne get 1 and 3

We finish bottom and Melbourne AND West Coast win less than 5 games we get pick 3!!  :banghead
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do