Author Topic: Terry Wallace's darkest hour - re: coaching (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1784 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Terry Wallace's darkest hour - re: coaching (Herald-Sun)
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »
Terry Wallace's darkest hour
Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
August 24, 2010

TERRY Wallace has lived in Matthew Knights' shoes and he never wants to return.

The former Richmond coach knows how it feels to speak to players pre-match aware some are ignoring every word.

Or realise your assistant coaches are aligning themselves with others to save their own skins.

The crushing pressure and expectation was so great last year there were times he retreated to his home cinema to lock out the outside world.

On reflection, Wallace says he suffered a form of depression.

Now after a 10-month period he says was the most difficult of his life, he has emerged to stick up for besieged Essendon coach Knights.

Wallace says he does not want sympathy, but believes senior coaches need more respect as they depart.

And he cannot fathom how the football industry builds up its coaches then mercilessly tears them down.

"My advice to him, and I have left him a message, is back yourself in," Wallace said. "The scrutiny has got worse. When I left it was severe, but it has got even worse.

"For me the scrutiny started in Round 4 and I could have walked away from the club and the supporters would have been happy, but when you fight it can be worse.

"Knighter has been putting up with this for a long time, and it gets bloody tough.

"You have two choices - you can fight, or walk away.

"If you walk away you are perceived as weak, and if you fight, you get smashed more."

Wallace entered his final season under pressure that intensified each week until it hit breaking point in Round 11.

A Herald Sun headline labelling him on "Death Row" early in the season started the rot.

" 'Dead man walking' became the headline and my kids were spoken to in those terms," Wallace said.

"It grows and grows and every supporter uses it to and from games, when you are walking on to the ground, and it becomes a catch-cry."

At one stage one of his children was asked by a PE teacher in front of hundreds of kids at a school sports carnival whether his dad would last the year at Richmond.

How did he cope?

"I don't think I did cope," Wallace said. "I've got a home cinema which is four walls, and it's locked away by heavy curtains, and I would just lock myself in that room.

"That's the reality. You try to get away from it all. It's not real healthy.

"Someone would say, 'We need some milk and groceries,' and you would ask someone else to go and do it because people would be whispering and pointing at you, and all I used to do was lock myself away."

Only midway through this year did the black fog begin to lift for Wallace.

"I didn't get any counselling or anything like that, but I think I probably should have," he said. "I went and saw people in relation to changing jobs, but not from a mental approach, and I think I should have.

"To me, I'm not a psychologist but to me there was a form of depression and from what I can gather it's situational depression."

There was no single moment when he turned the corner, just a gradual realisation life had to move on.

"I don't think there was a day when I woke up and thought, 'I am all right', but things roll on," he said.

The trickle of media and corporate opportunities has become a regular flow and Wallace feels re-energised.

Considered unemployable in the immediate aftermath of his sacking, he is combining work on Channel 9 and Foxtel with special comments roles on SEN Radio and Croc Media.

He says his situation is almost identical to Essendon and Knights.

"Essendon got done (on Sunday), and it was nothing to do with the teams. The game was identical to the one we played in Round 4 against Melbourne," Wallace said.

"We were that much under the eye of the storm that the players don't play with freedom, and they are not listening to messages, and they are not doing anything because they are that under the pump."

Do the players know you are gone?

"They all know. You know yourself. You can sense that but you have to keep battling and do your job. There is a time where you can start feeling it change and it's every man for himself.

"You can feel it. Your assistants start posturing in different directions because they know you are gone, whether it's moving towards the director of football or moving towards the president.

"You feel the players sense you are not going to be there, and it diminishes your message and your power."

He is still mystified by the depth of anger against him , which only now is abating.

"You have to sit back and say, 'All I have done is not win games.' I haven't not turned up to work, I am not breaking any laws, I am just losing games and people hate you for it.

"It's not about feeling sorry for yourself. I am out the other side."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/terry-wallaces-darkest-hour/story-e6frf9jf-1225909123984

jackstar is back again

Re: Terry Wallace's darkest hour - re: coaching (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:39:57 AM »
Terry suffering from depression. ::)
Yes , i would be depressed if my $600,000 a year "'benefit "" was taken away, LOL
And lets dont forget the tailored shirts either.
This would have to be the worst article I have ever read.
As for you Wallace, you got your right wack ! :clapping

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:02:40 AM »
Yes , i would be depressed if my $600,000 a year "'benefit "" was taken away, LOL

That would be a whack not wack.

:thumbsup

jackstar is back again

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:04:21 AM »
whack whack :chuck

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »

Build a bridge Jack and get over it

Time to move on and look to the future

waste of time bitterness  ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:07:36 PM »
If Knighter is being compared to Wallace then yes it must definitely be his darkest hour.

Someone put the poor bastard out of his misery.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 02:46:34 PM »
might need an elephant gun to get through that leathery hide of his
Lots of people name their swords......

gerkin greg

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
Just had visions of Terry in his home theatre with the curtains drawn, going commando in his tracky dacks, a pack of country cheese biscuits and some cocktail onions beside him as his labrador licks the tinea from between his toes as he stares at a paused close up of Gary Ayres in the 1986 granny, it is a dark place...

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Just had visions of Terry in his home theatre with the curtains drawn, going commando in his tracky dacks, a pack of country cheese biscuits and some cocktail onions beside him as his labrador licks the tinea from between his toes as he stares at a paused close up of Gary Ayres in the 1986 granny, it is a dark place...

LMFAO  :jump

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
 ;D

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 04:12:54 PM »
Wallace should have givin it away after round 4 losing to Melbourne.

gerkin greg

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 04:37:19 PM »
Hey Davey I bet you'd love a sesh in Terry's home theatre, LOTR Trilogy on the big screen with you and TW giving Caro the old chinese finger trap? You sick bastard.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 04:42:52 PM »
I actuall do feel sorry for Wallace and any coach that has such oppressive scrutiny, pressure, negative publicity, anger and all encompassing hatred directed at them when afterall, at the end of the day, they are just doing a job. No amount of money is worth that day after day, week after week, month after month. When you friends and family are affected as well then you have to say something is just not right. The industry is just far to political and far too black and white.

TW and Knights didn't and shouldn't be treated like War Criminals, that's just plain wrong. While I'll never forgive him for what he did to the club with draft, trades and development, I can't justify the sheer wave of anomosity that washed over him because he was poor at a job. Get rid of a coach if they are underperforming - certainly, publically destroy their character and reputation as a person - going too far.

One day a coach will top himself and the media and supporters will finally wake up to the level and magnitude of negative pressure they put on these people just trying to do a job the same as anyone else.

I wonder how long it will be before Hardwick cops it in the neck......

Stripes

gerkin greg

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »
Try coaching top flight soccer in Europe or Sth America, our blokes have it easy. But that's the way it is going here with the media pack, soon we'll see clubs sacking coaches after a few games then sacking their replacement all in the space of a season to feed the frenzy.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »
Paint me a picture Gerk, im not a mind reader lol You should enter this in a short story contest lol
Lots of people name their swords......