Author Topic: Tigers losing ground on rivals, Tony Jewell laments (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2456 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers losing ground on rivals, Jewell laments

Herald-Sun
26 April 2016

RICHMOND’S last premiership coach Tony Jewell fears the Tigers have stagnated while other teams have rushed past them.

“We all thought the eight was a realistic chance but the worry was the number of sides coming at them, like the Bulldogs, Adelaide, GWS, Gold Coast, Geelong, Melbourne and even St Kilda,” said Jewell, who led the Tigers to the 1980 flag.

“I did think the eight was a real possibility, even if they lack class. (Chris) Yarran hopefully still will be a good pick-up and (Brett) Deledio has class.

“They are both good decision makers and you don’t have to be a Rhodes scholar to see that some of the skills and decision making are well short of a top four side.

“I think Damien Hardwick has done a brilliant job to make the finals the last three years but, unfortunately for him, once you do that the expectation is you will finish higher.

“When you watch the improvement in a team like Melbourne you see how much ground we have lost. All of a sudden these sides are bobbing up and looking far more accomplished than us.

“It looks like back to the drawing board. Just the same old story.”

Leon Daphne, Richmond president from 1993-99, said he had low expectations for 2016.

“We need every one of our good players out there because our list at the moment doesn’t have any depth,” Daphne said.

“Some players have lost a bit of form, but I must say I haven’t had high expectations and this team has exceeded my expectations by playing in September the past three years, which is a credit to the coaching staff and players.

“I’m just a bit disappointed we haven’t been able to build more in the six years Damien (Hardwick) has been there. Other clubs have built towards being Grand Final contenders much better than us.”

“The list needs time to be developed and added to, for we are a long way from the top teams. Adelaide and West Coast thrashed us despite the fact we brought effort.

“I do think the Tigers are trying, having a terrific go, but the skill level has dropped since last year which can be confidence.

“I don’t always like the way we play because we aren’t nearly as direct as some teams.

“We don’t seem to run as hard as the opposition which Melbourne highlighted with some terrific ball movement.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/tony-jewell-laments-richmond-losing-ground-on-its-rivals-after-loss-to-melbourne/news-story/c16a1eee0b0e62e618e2ae4475cd8f36

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Tigers losing ground on rivals, Tony Jewell laments (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »
FFS even the geriatrics can see it!  :banghead

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
Has been the problem for a while and everyone bar those making the decisions at the club could see it coming. It makes you wonder whether they just hoped it would all go away or whether they are delusional or a combination of both.

Pressure from the media and from supporters isn't going to go away unless of course we have another remarkable turnaround but that's just not going to happen this season. Someone at the club is going to have to come out at some point and say we got it wrong otherwise they lose all credibility and probably already have in the eyes of most.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »
Has been the problem for a while and everyone bar those making the decisions at the club could see it coming. It makes you wonder whether they just hoped it would all go away or whether they are delusional or a combination of both.

Pressure from the media and from supporters isn't going to go away unless of course we have another remarkable turnaround but that's just not going to happen this season. Someone at the club is going to have to come out at some point and say we got it wrong otherwise they lose all credibility and probably already have in the eyes of most.
The tiger "turnaround" has always been a false dawn. Radically surgery now is the only way out.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »
It's interesting that he's backing Hardwick, I sat and watched the game Sunday night with an ex Tigers player who basically said the same thing!
His words were "it's not the coaches fault, he's actually a good coach.
I think he's done bloody well to get the team to where it's at but the fact we keep recruiting and persevering with players the likes of Grigg, Chaplin,Houli and Hunt is where the club has fallen down"

He even went on to say he believes that Hardwick doesn't get the final say at the selection table and the above players are only picked week in week out to justify picking them up in the first place!

It's mind boggling to think that's even possible?

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:07:18 AM »
It's interesting that he's backing Hardwick, I sat and watched the game Sunday night with an ex Tigers player who basically said the same thing!
His words were "it's not the coaches fault, he's actually a good coach.
I think he's done bloody well to get the team to where it's at but the fact we keep recruiting and persevering with players the likes of Grigg, Chaplin,Houli and Hunt is where the club has fallen down"

He even went on to say he believes that Hardwick doesn't get the final say at the selection table and the above players are only picked week in week out to justify picking them up in the first place!

It's mind boggling to think that's even possible?

It's possible for Real Madrid or Chelsea,  *

I don't see how it could work for Circus fc. Who picking the team if not mr moron Damien?

Penny?
Benny gale?

Pretty dumb conspiracy theory boarding on deflection

No shortage of idiot former players

It's clearly not claw. Don't think it's Cotchin ...

* the devils spawn of a club that was reinforced by hitlers mate Franco te facist pig dog and owne by a Russian billionaire oligarch respectively )
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:34:21 AM by Stalin »
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:59:02 PM »
For me the question is, why have the club been unable to recognise, what any decent football person
Can in a heartbeat?
Are they protecting their income, stupid or high on their status?
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »
Leon Daphne's remarks are spot on. Significant change in all areas of the club is needed.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 04:49:36 PM »
Something Peggy is unqualified to recognise obviously.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 04:51:03 PM »
And that's why I'm against an American female as our president
You can't even expect her totally understand the football issues.
What a joke
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
No, no, no Tony, it's all going great, we arent being overtaken by any team or losing ground to them... :whistle :whistle :whistle :whistle

DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"