Author Topic: Heat wave - It's HOT damn HOT  (Read 10527 times)

Moi

Re: Heat wave - It's HOT damn HOT
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 08:05:17 AM »
I hope everyone is safe. What a horrible day it was. The fire knocked out a communications tower in gippsland so all tv stations except ch 10 are not working and there is no coverage of it on there. So mad at them that I rang them last night and told them to pull their finger out

Thank god for ABC radio

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »
They are saying 14 confirmed dead and it could reach as much as 40 dead as there are areas the emergency services can't get into. The fire from Kinglake to Wallan is massive. I know people want to save their homes, property and livestock but you'd think in future when they know days like this are coming they'd force people to get out early.

Thank god its cooler today and a little rain this morning.  I know it wont make much difference but its better than another day like yesterday.  Unfortunatly MT they cant force anyone to evacuate.  I was in the SES for a while and we were supporting the firies at Mount Martha as well as helping evacuate people but all we could do was suggest people leave, you cant actually make them.   

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 07:17:23 PM »
Yeah I realise the SES and CFA now can't but when you hear now 65 confirmed dead with many more still missing most likely lying dead in the burnt out shells of their homes because they stayed to try and save their house and property it's just a tragic waste of life. Total towns like Marysville, Kinglake and others wiped off the map  :'(.

There are lessons to be learnt from every tragedy even one as horrific and devestating as this one. There's nothing we can do about natural bushfires occurring (although firebug scum started most of these and continue to light more >:( ) but when we know a day like Saturday is coming as we did then surely it would make sense to get people out of fire prone areas the night before. It may be most of the time overkill but it's better than have towns of people all dead  :'(.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 07:23:32 PM »
We watched the smoke from the fires at Yarra Glen and Mt Ev from our back porch last night. My hubby asked what would we do stay or go. I said definitely go, a house can be rebuilt, I wouldnt think twice about it, especially if we had the kids with us.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 08:14:21 PM »
Ch 9 just reported that former newsreader Brian Naylor could be one of the dead too.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25024407-661,00.html

Moi

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 08:54:47 PM »
Fire doesn't discriminate. Brian was a friend of my dad years ago when they both worked in radio together. Nice man :-(

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 08:59:50 PM »
It is just so hard to comprehend the distruction in such a short space of time

You're spot on Moi - the fires don't discriminate
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 09:12:42 PM »
Yeah I realise the SES and CFA now can't but when you hear now 65 confirmed dead with many more still missing most likely lying dead in the burnt out shells of their homes because they stayed to try and save their house and property it's just a tragic waste of life. Total towns like Marysville, Kinglake and others wiped off the map  :'(.

There are lessons to be learnt from every tragedy even one as horrific and devestating as this one. There's nothing we can do about natural bushfires occurring (although firebug scum started most of these and continue to light more >:( ) but when we know a day like Saturday is coming as we did then surely it would make sense to get people out of fire prone areas the night before. It may be most of the time overkill but it's better than have towns of people all dead  :'(.

I agree with you MT sorry if that came off as heartless it wasnt meant to.  IMO once a state of emergency has been declared the appropriate authorities should have the power to make people leave for their own safety, sure they may loose there homes and personal items but you can stat again if your still alive, Dead is dead there is no starting again. 
I got a txt message from a mate 1/2 hour ago saying his kids hadnt come back from theie mothers (in Traralgon) what should he do???.  I told him as long as they are safe to leave them there and try to enjoy a quiet night.  Missing a day or so from school isnt going to hurt them.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
76 confirmed dead and when you look on the map how far the fires stretch especially the Kilmore-Kinglake-Marysville ones it's covering an area the size of most of Melbourne suburbia  :o. Just mindnumbing.

Fire doesn't discriminate. Brian was a friend of my dad years ago when they both worked in radio together. Nice man :-(
And IIRC it was also only six months ago that the son was killed in a plane accident and now the mum's been found dead and Brian the father is missing presumed dead  :(.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
Just confirmed in Sky News 84 dead including Brian Naylor and his wife Moiree.
RIP Brian and all the victims as fire does not dicriminate and all life is valuable and important. :'(

I fear the toll could go 150-200 with so many people still unnaccounted. :'(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2009, 09:43:31 PM »
 :(

I agree with you MT sorry if that came off as heartless it wasnt meant to.  IMO once a state of emergency has been declared the appropriate authorities should have the power to make people leave for their own safety, sure they may loose there homes and personal items but you can stat again if your still alive, Dead is dead there is no starting again. 
I got a txt message from a mate 1/2 hour ago saying his kids hadnt come back from theie mothers (in Traralgon) what should he do???.  I told him as long as they are safe to leave them there and try to enjoy a quiet night.  Missing a day or so from school isnt going to hurt them.
No not heartless at all Jacosh. You would know far more than me what happens in these emergency situations having been in the SES. Pure courage and selflessness are the SES/CFA folk. Right advice too for your mate. Right now personal safety comes first.

bushranger

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »
This all is sad news for everyone.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2009, 09:59:21 PM »
Yep your heart and condolences goes out to all those who have lost family, friends and neighbours as well as those who have lost everything  :'(.

As for the lowlife firebug scum who started it all they should be charged with mass murder on par with a terrorist act  >:(.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2009, 05:38:42 AM »
You can donate to the Red Cross Victorian bushfires appeal online or phone 1800 811 700:

http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm

96 now dead  :(.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 01:41:49 PM »
 when I gave plasma today they told me some will be going to help out those in need as a result of the fires

come on you OERites  pop into your local Red Cross and make a practical difference   it only takes 15 mins for blood and about 45 mins for plasma :thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 02:40:15 PM by 632 RFC »
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench