Author Topic: Dylan Grimes happy that Tigers are uncomfortable to play against (Age/AAP)  (Read 2565 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Grimes' presser today ...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-08-04/grimes-press-conference-august-4th

-------------------------------------------------------

Unsociable? Try 'uncomfortable' says Tiger Grimes
Dylan Grimes happy that Tigers are uncomfortable to play against

Melissa Woods, AAP 
Ronny Lerner, Age
August 4, 2015 11:17 AM

RICHMOND defender Dylan Grimes says his team will happily accept the tag of AFL bully boys, having beaten unsociable Hawthorn at its own game.

Captain Trent Cotchin set the tone for a physical encounter against the Hawks before the opening bounce on Friday night and his teammates responded, beating the red-hot flag favourites by 18 points.

Grimes said the Tigers wanted to be known as a team that was "uncomfortable" to play against.

He said that was how coach Damien Hardwick played his football during his career with Essendon and Port Adelaide - and how he wanted his team to play.

"It's been a part of our culture for a while now and I really like the fact that it's uncomfortable playing against the Tigers," Grimes said.

"Perhaps now that we're winning a few more games, there's more light on it.

"I like being known as that type of playing group and I know Dimma (coach Damien Hardwick) loves it as well - it's something he prides himself on."

"Look at the way Dimma played his footy and the way he coaches as well, he was always really tense at the man and at the ball and at the contest.

"I think that's probably come through on our playing group ... it's a real compliment to our group that, one, we can take it up to the bigger sides and, two, we don't just play the game – we're out there to win."

Grimes said watching Cotchin initiate some argy-bargy with Hawks stars Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell revved up his team.

And Grimes all but admitted that Cotchin was feeding off the universal praise he was receiving for his heightened aggression levels.

"I suppose when players are being rewarded in the media for being more aggressive and being more upfront and having that bully mentality, I guess he's going to keep on doing it," Grimes said.

"As players under him, we love seeing our skipper go straight up to their skipper before the game and show everyone in the footy world that it's going to be a real arm wrestle for the next two hours."

Richmond has now taken the scalps of the Hawks and Swans and split results with runaway ladder-leaders Fremantle this year.

But Grimes, 24, was quick to point out they have also lost games they should have won, most notably in round for against Melbourne.

"It's great to beat some really good teams but we've shown in the past if we're not on 100 per cent, any side can beat any other so it's critical we bring our best game like we did on the weekend," he said.

"The top 10 spots are really up for grabs."

Since the current top-eight system was introduced in 2000, no side outside the top three has gone on to win the premiership but Grimes suggested that trend could change this season.

"Anyone in the finals (can win the flag), particularly this year where we're sixth at the moment and we've beaten a few of the top sides and so have the teams that are not in the top eight at all," he said.

Grimes said the most pleasing aspect of the win over the Hawks was that they delivered a four-quarter performance, which had been missing for the past month of football.

He said the performance had boosted their confidence but they needed to back it up against the Crows in Adelaide on Friday night.

"To do it against quality opposition always instils a lot of confidence in the playing group and we've got a big challenge this weekend," Grimes said.

"Hopefully that confidence, we can take it into the game and play really well again."

The match takes place at Adelaide Oval on Friday night but the Tigers are one of the best road teams in the competition, having won nine of their last 11 interstate games, and Grimes said they relished travelling.

"Being a young group and getting all the players in together, at the same hotel together, being able to prepare together, train together over there as well and then go out in the game, I think that's an ideal situation for us really," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmonds-dylan-grimes-happy-that-tigers-are-uncomfortable-to-play-against-20150804-gir2fh.html#ixzz3hoyORk5f
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-04/tigers-gain-confidence-from-win-over-hawks-but-another-big-challenge-awaits-grimes

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Start playing that way against the lesser teams and we'll look even better

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Dylan is going great BTW IMMHO, interesting to hear that this year was his first full pre season :clapping

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Start playing that way against the lesser teams and we'll look even better

Yep, go out against Adelaide Friday and start pushing and shoving Danger, rip Sloanes helmet off, dack Eddie Betts and intimidate them.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Gotta back it up now, Adelaide will come at us!

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Gotta back it up now, Adelaide will come at us!

I know I been there away trips before

Dirty, toothless bogan rats
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Snip

Bents: nice try saying it was within the rules. Doesn't justify that post in way shape or form

it was clearly in bad taste and highly offensive as others picked up on very quickly.

Which was in part of the point I was trying to make. But seeing you had to ask whether it was "too soon" it would appear that you and others don't get it.

Will say again it was a disgusting post and I was hoping you'd see that and remove it yourself. But obviously the point was lost, hence you trying to justify it

Thanks Eat_Em_Alive & Diocletian for your comments

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Yeah I had no idea what u were getting at

:gotigers
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus