Author Topic: Tigers to dominate draft  (Read 1997 times)

Bulluss

Tigers to dominate draft
« on: October 29, 2004, 11:08:53 PM »
Richmond will enter the 2004 National Bank's AFL Draft with not only the first selection of the meeting, but also the most number of selections.

The Tigers have nine picks available which includes five in the top 20, with their final selection at No.65.

It is understood Richmond will take Murray Bushrangers midfielder Brett Deledio with its number one pick.

Hawthorn and Carlton have six picks each, with the Hawks claiming an enviable three selections in the top 10, while the Blues first pick is at No.9.

The Western Bulldogs have five selections, while the Brisbane Lions, Essendon, Fremantle, Kangaroos and West Coast have four picks each.

Adelaide, Geelong, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Sydney all have the mandatory three selections.

Fremantle will be the last club to get a turn in the draft, after it traded away each selection in rounds one, two and three for Port Adelaide premiership player Josh Carr during the recent exchange period.

The revised draft order can still be altered slightly when the second list lodgment is finalised on Friday November 12.

But with only five players taken off senior lists when the second list lodgment was made last year, it's unlikely the current order will be dramatically changed.

Five clubs have confirmed father/son selections - Carlton (Luke Blackwell No.39), Collingwood (Travis Cloke No.38), Geelong (Nathan Ablett No.46), Kangaroos (Jesse W.Smith No.40) and West Coast (Mitchell Morton No.53).

The draft order
As at October 19
Adelaide: 8, 24, 28
Brisbane Lions: 18, 27, 43, 48
Carlton: 9, 25, 39 (L.Blackwell F/S), 66, 69, 70
Collingwood: 10, 23, 38 (T.Cloke F/S), 52
Essendon: 14, 30, 44, 56
Fremantle: 55, 61, 63, 68
Geelong: 32, 46 (N.Ablett F/S), 58
Hawthorn: 2, 5, 7, 21, 26, 50
Kangaroos: 40 (J.W.Smith F/S), 54, 62, 67
Melbourne: 13, 15, 41
Port Adelaide: 11, 19, 34
Richmond: 1, 4, 12, 16, 20, 35, 49, 60, 65

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=176491

Please dont stuff it up this year, we have ourselves in a good position. As stated in the article Deledio is the mail for Pick 1.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers to dominate draft
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 01:08:09 AM »
Richmond will enter the 2004 National Bank's AFL Draft with not only the first selection of the meeting, but also the most number of selections.

The Tigers have nine picks available which includes five in the top 20, with their final selection at No.65.

The article assumes Cambo and Richo as our two veterans are to be excluded from the senior list of 38 which we've been told won't be the case. We currently have 7 National draft picks - 1,4,12,16,20,35,49 + 1 PSD pick. If Ty goes then we can also use pick 60 as well. In any case 7 picks in the top 50 is awesome. Yeah hope we use them wisely Bully.

Good to hear we're not going to try and be cute with our first pick.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 04:38:10 PM »

It is understood Richmond will take Murray Bushrangers midfielder Brett Deledio with its number one pick.

Hell-lay-loo-ya

Does this mean we are actaully going to take the best player available rather than picking the best player for position? All I can say is Hell-lay-loo-ya again and again

Please dont stuff it up this year, we have ourselves in a good position. As stated in the article Deledio is the mail for Pick 1.

Agree Bull - I reckon this is the most important draft in our history. I think we have to have some confidence in them this time because we didn't trade any of our picks away. :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 11:01:34 AM »
How did our pick 36 become 35 ?

5 picks in the top 20 equates to a quarter of the U18 All-Australian team.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 03:55:54 PM »
How did our pick 36 become 35 ?

Port had picks 19 and 35 but received pick 11 from Freo as part of the Carr deal and pick 34 from Brissy as part of the Shattock deal. Due to their small number of trades/delistings they can only use picks 11, 19 and 34 so everyone else moves up one. Likewise our late picks 52, 68, 84 became picks 49, 60 and 65 respectively for similar reasons. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 03:57:33 PM by mightytiges »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 04:31:04 PM »
The pick that has me most intrigued is Number 12 - I would expect Cam Wood to be gone by then? Do we use pick 12 for an up and coming ruckman?

Who to chose  :help
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 05:58:14 PM »
The pick that has me most intrigued is Number 12 - I would expect Cam Wood to be gone by then? Do we use pick 12 for an up and coming ruckman?

It depends obviously what other clubs do. This draft has an unusually high number of ruckman and KPP yet is weaker midfield wise compared to past years apart from the top few so clubs may grab the potentially better midfielders earlier than expected as opposed to talls. Hard to tell and just a blind guess. It would be nice if we could leave picking up a ruckman til pick 16 or 20 so we can claim two good midfielders and a KPP with picks 1,4 and 12 but we may not have that luxury. Clubs with multiple picks in the first round like us, hawks, dogs, dees and Port you would presume will take a tall and a small. I'd reckon the Hawks will use pick 7 (their 3rd pick) on a ruckman (Cam Wood).