Author Topic: Paying yourself within a company structure.  (Read 1378 times)

Ramps

Paying yourself within a company structure.
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:50:05 AM »
Accounting question. Experience and advice of people who have been involved in such an area would be greatly appreciated.

I will be going to accountants soon, but I'd like to know if you are starting a new company, and are registering as a company and not just a business name how does one pay oneself, considering that the company is a different legal entity to yourself and the obligations are clearly different to just operating as yourself under a business name.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Paying yourself within a company structure.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 07:24:08 PM »
I'm no accountant Ramps and someone here actually qualified may offer more rigorous advice but here's a link that may help you for starters:

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/4457-paying-myself-wages-under-pty-ltd-structure.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »
Ramps.

I ran my own business for a while and found in the initial stages, provided you have invested some of your own startup capital (a personal loan to the company using your own cash) is to draw back on it if you require funds to live on as it is tax free and any income the company earns, keep it in the business. Once all your investment capital has been drawn back, you would then have to draw a wage and pay all the necessary payroll taxes and liabilities. 

My company was Pty Ltd with directors etc so if your business is a different structure, my advice may not be suitable for you.

Hope that helps.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:28:28 PM »
My advice is to spread the wages allocation out amongst as many close family members as you can.  Wife does the books, son does the lawns etc whether or not they actually do the work, just pay the wages into your own/family bank account.