Author Topic: Joel, Cambo and Cuz make Champion Data top 20 of the past decade (foxsports)  (Read 2756 times)

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
Rd 22 WCE V RICH WCE 1942 Rich 1357 TOTAL 3299..... GEEL vFREO GEEL 2049 FREO 3301 TOTAL 3301 ...... HAW v ESS  HAW1569 ESS 1738 TOTAL 3307 ..... CARL v ADEL CARL 1552 ADEL 1744 TOTAL 3296........ If you check every match of every round you will find that the players points score for both sides adds up to within 10 points of 3300.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Dogged could you please link to these stats, I'm curious to have a look at what you say?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Round 22 2009: Sydney 1623 + Brisbane 1738 = 3361

I agree it does seem to happen a lot but I'd suggest its a statistical anomoly. Probably to do with the fact that there is a fixed amount of game time (nothing generally happens in time on to generate stats) and either one team has the ball and will generate points for doing something with it or vice versa. Perhaps the points for stats have been weighted around a number such as 3300 but it seems rather arbitrary. I would be interesting to go back in time to compare previous seasons given there is so many more possessions in a game compared to even 4-5 years ago.

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
Check again infamy syd 1623 bris 1677 TOTAL 3300.   You were looking at ess score. I am telling you it ALWAYS adds up to within 10 of 3300,and how can this be?

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
Al , infamy has got rd 22 scores on this thread. Some of my mates and me have been checking for two years. How can every game do this the scoring of players should be open ended for it to be completely fair. If Ablett scores 400 then so beit his score should not be rounded down nor should player B who gets -56 be rounded up .

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
so Bowden is better then Judd and Black?

what a load of sh*t!

seriously!

>:(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
I am telling you it ALWAYS adds up to within 10 of 3300,and how can this be?

Champion Data Rankings: how come every match adds up to 3,300 points?

Before 2004 we simply allocated a set number of points for each statistic, something like the Dream Team formula but with qualitative stats, such as effective kicks (+4), ineffective kicks (0) and clanger kicks (-6). Those base points had been refined through research by Swinburne University on the most important factors in winning a game of football. Over the years we have continued to test them and made minor tweaks and additions as the game evolves and we collect more information about each match.

From 2004 we decided to take “situational” information into account. The research shows that you win more matches by making quality decisions near goal, and when the match is in the balance. For each action in the match, the computer uses a multiplier which involves the position on the field and a “pressure factor” based on the margin and the time left. The pressure factor is basically the effect a player can have on his team’s winning chances by doing the right thing at that time – a game-winning goal is given the highest multiplier, while a handball on the wing when his team is already 80 points ahead gets scaled down.

Once all the numbers are in, we “normalise” them so that the total is 3,300. Each player is given a slice of the pie, in proportion to his total weighted ranking points. This lets us measure a player’s contribution to a match regardless of its speed or overall quality. For SuperCoach it means that Sydney players are worth considering on a level playing field with Bulldogs, even though there are fewer possessions in their matches. It also means that there is no inflation as the game continues to speed up, and a player’s 150 today is as dominant of a total match as 150 was five years ago regardless of game styles and trends.

• Where does 3,300 come from?
o The average match from 2001 to 2003 had about 3,300 points. If we looked at raw base numbers these days, they would have gradually increased just like Dream Team points.
• Not adding up to exactly 3,300?
o Rounding can vary this.
• What’s an average score?
o 3,300 / 44 = 75, so 100+ indicates a good game. 150 means he’s done the job of two average players.
• Someone had 50 points at half time and didn’t come back on the field. How did he finish with only 40? Or 60?
o The normalisation has the effect of concentrating points around the times when the result was decided as one team took control. At half time the computer assumes 1,650 points have been allocated. But if one team has already run away with the match, points from the first half will continue to scale up as a proportion of the pie. Conversely if the match is won very late, points from earlier are scaled down.

http://forum.sportal.com.au/viewthread.aspx?t=54461
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Sounds like a steaming pile of schit.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Nothing to lose sleep over and I can see what they are trying to do by trying to even out eras so there's some ability to compare. However isn't a 45 possie freak game from Ablett jnr still not more worthy than say a 35 possie game from someone 5-10 years ago?!! 

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
Just a quick question Does supercoach take into account what your opponent does?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Just a quick question Does supercoach take into account what your opponent does?
It would be very difficult to work out for midfielders if they do given all the rotations. Half the time the players and coaches themselves admit they don't know who is on who directly in the midfield. Only at the bookends can you easily see which backman is on which forward.