Author Topic: Web Servers ?  (Read 800 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Web Servers ?
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:24:34 AM »
I am looking for somewhere to host/make a site?

It is not going to be a forum as such but will be based on a club (No not Richmond)
So will contain photos and history stuff and will be updated from time to time - any suggestions/costs greatly appreciated.

I should add that something was set up some years back and is now on a defunct site, is it possible to copy this over or will we need to start from scratch?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Web Servers ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:43:22 AM »
I use both doteasy.com.au and webcity.com.au.

doteasy is probably one of the best values around for smaller traffic sites. They did have a few issues with downtime and even loosing everything (claimed they were hacked) which was a tough lesson about backups. Havn't had any dramas for quite a while though. Their customer service isnt to bad.

I also use webcity. Their basic plan doesnt have SQL database, which you need for something like this forum or if you use a content Management System like Joomla or Mambo to create your website.

Depending on how the other website was created you may be able to switch it over. Some hosts will provide a simple website creator and if you have used such then your new host will need to have the same software installed to simply switch it over. If it was just built from scratch using HTML or CSS then switching it over should be simple

Personally I wouldnt get a web host that doesn't have C-Panel, as this has makes installation, in most cases, easy of a range of free software for building websites (CMS), forums (such as Simple Machines Forum), Image galleries, shopping carts,help desks, etc. The advantage of this is that if you do change hosts and the new host has C-Panel,which many do, then moving your website is relatively simple.

I like using a CMS to build a website, as once it is up and running, adding new content is very simple and there are a wealth of add ons to do nearly whatever you want...and it's nearly all open source which means free, free, free.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »
Noice - Looking at doteasy - It is 35 per year to register the site and then everything from there is free? This site has CMS I presume?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 02:43:03 PM »
when i said c -panel i made a mistake. What i meant was fantastico delux, (which is normally incorporated into C Panel) to enable easy software installation - most of the time.

Yep that plan does has fantastico delux

I have that plan and have the following CMSs available through Fantastico;
       Drupal
        Geeklog
        Joomla 1.5
        Joomla
        Mambo
        PHP-Nuke
        phpWCMS
        phpWebSite
        Post-Nuke
        Siteframe
        TYPO3
        Xoops,

If your domain is .com or .net it is $35 per year, but if it is .com.au  or .net.au etc it is $99 for 2 years (+GST from memory)
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:05:25 PM »
Thanks man - Had to rofl a little a GEEKlog  ;D Looks like I have a bit of learning to do  :thumbsup