Author Topic: Hardwick - a Clarkson Clone? (Herald-Sun blog 11am)  (Read 2912 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hardwick - a Clarkson Clone? (Herald-Sun blog 11am)
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 08:22:19 AM »
I had a look at Clarkson's first side as coach (Dimma's first as assistant) where the Hawks lost to the Sydney by 63 points.

11 future premiership players were in it [in bold]. Of the 11 all were 23 years old or under except for Crawford and Croad.

Avg. Age: 23y 350d, Avg games: 78, Debutants: 3.

30. Crawford (232), Everitt (216), Holland (176)
--------------------------------
28. Vandenberg (99)
27. Dixon (143), Smith (165)
25. Croad (143), Hay (129)
24. Jacobs (93)
23. Bateman (42)
-------------------------------
22. Campbell (31), Osborne (39), Lonie (52)
21. Brown (40), Ladson (14), Sewell (6), Williams (33)
20. Hodge (46), Brennan (3)
19. Miller (-), Thurgood (-)
18. Franklin (-)

Yet to debut but on list: Roughead, Lewis, Young

Compared to us last week.....

Richmond - Avg Age: 23y 142d, Avg Games: 60, Debutants: 3

31: Cousins (253), Simmonds (190)
-----------------------------
27: Newman (154)
26: Moore (65)
25:
24: Roberts# (-)
23: Jackson (69), Thomson (30), Thursfield (53), McGuane (54), Morton (50), Tambling (95)
------------------------------
22: Deledio (106), Nahas (19)
21: Hislop (19), Connors (10), Edwards (47), Riewoldt (46)
20: Farmer (3), Nason (-)
19: Cotchin (25), Vickery (9)
18: Martin (-)

http://www.stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2005/101620050327.html
http://www.stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2010/031420100325.html

TigerTimeII

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »
good work

and i bet clarko and the hawks back then didnt get the poo we r getting now

jackstar is back again

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 11:33:48 AM »
how funny.
compare there 21 year olds to ours ::)

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 12:26:56 PM »
Here's a summary

Ralph: Hi guys great to be with you. I am bullish about the directions the Tigers are going in, but it's going to take plenty of time for them to adapt under their new coach.
The best part - they have lots of young talent, and you fans are going to enjoy judging them this year to see who will come on, and who won't make the grade.
As for Cousins, I think he clearly has another year in him. My take - the club actually could have attempted to trade him last year. They might have got a third-round pick.
They couldn't have done it because it would have looked bad, but as great as he has been, he won't play in the next flag. And that player gained from the third-round pick might have

[Comment From craig: ]
Hi Ralphie, Hopefully a few of the young blokes come on this year. Connors, Collins, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Vickery. You said at best Richmond will win 6 games, but win the wooden spoon. If we win 6 we won't win the spoon.

Ralph:
You are spot on - six wins probably gets you 13th or 14th spot.
I said Richmond would win six at best. That's just an honest appraisal.
It's the way in which they win them. If Deledio grabs a few games by the scruff of the neck, fair enough. If Taylor or Nahas or Vickery or Collins does some great stuff to get the Tigers over the line, you will really be going somewhere

[Comment From Dylan : ]
Roberts and Taylor?

Ralph:
Both of them look bloody handy, don't they. Roberts is more of a small forward based on what the Tigers have said, but Taylor could be anything.
Spoke to another club yesterday who said he was top-ten talent. Of course we all know the assault charges are hanging over his head, but the club's handling of him has been really mature. No point sacking a bloke who has only been in your club for a week or two. Try to include him and make him a better human being.
Still, that doesn't mean he won't end up in the big house for the assault. Let's hope not

[Comment From stu : ]
what players are still on the list that shouldnt be there

Ralph:
   Stu, I am too diplomatic to tell you who will be dumped next year.
Some people would tell you Jordan McMahon, Jake King, Adam Thomson, Tom Hislop are on shaky ground, and SImmonds and Cousins might retire. That makes six. And of the eleven that came in, some of them won't make the grade because the draft was pretty shaky. That was the risk the Tigers knew they needed to take

[Comment From Tiger : ]
What are your thoughts on playing Jake King as a hard tackling small forward and playing Richard Tambling across half back to create some run (his best asset is his pace)?

Ralph:
   I thought Benny Gale said it best when he basically said King didn't have much natural talent, yet he had a crack. They need to play him even if his nickname is Turnover King. He rips in, and plays the Hardwick style, and takes risks.

[Comment From matt: ]
Is this the Australian way keep kicking people while there down get a life and get of Hardwick’s back, he hasn’t couched a game yet. Talk about something more substantial, we all know tigers are flat at present and will gradually improve so except it and move on there will be no miracles cure.

Ralph:
   I think the Australian way it to say it as it is. I think they finish last, but as funny as it sounds, that's not a criticism. It's just where their list is at. Last year they thought they would play finals and finished second last. This time they are totally aware of where their list is at, but just know they need some pain before it turns around
Someone might go past him at some stage, but at least he has a crack

[Comment From doug : ]
where do you see richmond in 3 years

Ralph:
   The club says they will be playing inals by 2012, and then will stay in there forever. (I might be taking dramatic licence). The problem with five-year plans is that they tend to backfire. Make the five-year plan but keep it inhouse.
I think the Tigers could play finals by then - and only then - but who knows what happens after that. Just like Carlton made the finals this year, but with no Fev aren't any guarantee to do it again.

[Comment From wayne : ]
Hi Ralphy, I'd rather a Clarkson clone than a Wallace clone.

Ralph:
   We probably dragged a few of you in with the provocative Clarkson clone heading, but I think he's going to be great. Perhaps Brad Scott has been a bit more open and as a result we are really talking him up, but Hardwick has impressed in the inner sanctum so far.
My point about the Clarkson clone stuff is that he's going to have to do something special and create some players through inventiveness, because Clarkson developed a great list through some sheer luck as well as hard work.
They got into one of the best drafts ever and got Buddy, Roughy, and Lewis in the top seven picks. Richmond are in the worst draft ever and have taken ten or so players. So they need some luck and to really recruit smart if they are to follow in Clarko's footsteps

[Comment From kev : ]
Ralphie what makes Hardwick more of a clone than any other coach who has served there apprentiship, with that your logic wouldnt they all be so called clones, or am i missing something about Hardwick?

Ralph:
   Kev, you are spot on. Every senior coach comes into the club with experience gained from the previous senior coach. The best thing about Hardwick - premiership experience at Essendon, Port and Hawthorn as an assistant.
He sounds very much like Clarko - soldiers going down and having to replace them, not doing much media and not yet being the full-blown marketer that Wallace was - but that's not a problem.
As you say, the divergance from Wallace's methods will be a good thing in the eyes of the supporters

[Comment From Guest: ]
TUCK.. He is playing a sweeping half back role (in the NAB so far atleast) Think hardwick wants some quality getting out of defence (we will be spending alot of time down back in 2010!). He should be in thier best not an emergency. He had some issues with turnovers but still a better option than our current crop of backs..  

Ralph:
Tuck is a fascinating case study. Nearly leading the best and fairest when Wallace was dumped, then when Rawlings came in it was all over.
He wanted a trade but still had another year on his contract, so he stays.
Apparently he's been really solid in practice matches, with lots of contested ball.
I can't see who else plays at half back. Newman is an out-and-out star, Tambling might have to go back, Edwards is exciting but inconsistent, and who else is there?

[Comment From Tony: ]
Jon is Benny Cousins capable of taking the best and fairest at the TIgers this year and polling well in the Brownlow?

Ralph:   
   I reckon Cousins is a real chance to go high in the best and fairest. Maybe not in the Brownlow just because he will be fighting for the one-votes and not the threes if they don't win much.
He gets a lot of ball around the back and because the Tigers are struggling hasn't got forward much. I would love to see him streaming forward like in the glory days.
Hopefully after a good pre-season he can do more of that

[Comment From Jacob : ]
Is troy simmond really our number 1 ruckman...i believe angus graham has much more to offer that Simmonds

Ralph:
   I think the club will just suck it and see.
Simmonds was injured all last year but the coach clearly likes him because he kept him and sacked Adam Pattison. Pattison isnt a genuine ruckman but probably still has AFL footy left in him.
Then Vickery looks the goods, even if it takes time.
Then you have Browne and Graham and Griffiths. So your ruck stocks are shaping up OK. Graham was pretty hot and cold last year.

[Comment From Grant  : ]
Would you agree this is possibly the worst time since the draft began to be sitting in the Tigers' current predicament. That is, lacking experience, real class, leaders and in need of at least five or six out'n'out stars?

Ralph:
   Yeah, shocking time to rebuild, but you do what you can.
That said, the club loves what it got in the draft.
Martin - gun.
Astbury - very exciting
Griffiths - very tall, and a bargain
Troy Taylor - could be a star if he can dodge this escape charge.

The problem is you can only count on getting four or five good players in a draft, not the ten they have recruited
That's one of the holes you have to fill, and if it's Tuck at least you get hardness around the contest.

Puts the boot in straight away.

stuff off HUN and your band of Richmond haters.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 12:31:48 PM »
how funny.
At the time, those 21 year olds weren't rated at all, Clarkson turned them into quality players

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »
We definately will not finish last after hearing Cameron Schwabs interview on SEN about Melbourne's tanking plan.

The funny thing all the media at SEN who are known Richmond hating serial offenders,praised Melbourne's new plan.

If it was us in the same seat,they'd be pulling us to threads telling us to win games.

Dermie praising Melbourne for tanking and getting their 2 draft picks.

What is wrong with the world?
 :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 12:36:34 PM »

Ralph:
   The club says they will be playing inals by 2012, and then will stay in there forever. (I might be taking dramatic licence). The problem with five-year plans is that they tend to backfire. Make the five-year plan but keep it inhouse.
I think the Tigers could play finals by then - and only then - but who knows what happens after that. Just like Carlton made the finals this year, but with no Fev aren't any guarantee to do it again.

Aah ,it's a bit hard when Hun journos snoop around Tigerland looking for dirt.

Ralphy keep wearing that Richmond chip on yer shoulders.

FNM

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »
how funny.
Rubbish the club at every opportunity, hey Jack
You got your new coach you so desperately wanted and you still continue
It really is about "look at me" isn't it?

PS:  Great work, MT  :thumbsup

jackstar is back again

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 12:59:01 PM »
how funny.
Rubbish the club at every opportunity, hey Jack
You got your new coach you so desperately wanted and you still continue
It really is about "look at me" isn't it?

PS:  Great work, MT  :thumbsup

Your mental :banghead
Firstly , Hardwick wasnt my first choice as coach.
And its common knowledge that some of our younger players arent up to it, dont you watch the games. ::)
Clearly Nahas isnt up to it, and we have recruited way too many smalls.
Trying watching these ""postage stamps "" being pushed of the ball.

FNM

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »
I'm sure they said all that when the Hawks list was under-developed as well at that stage then
In fact, didn't we laugh at them
Hardwick's had one game and you're out for him already
He wasn't my first choice either but FFS, give him a chance

jackstar is back again

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
I'm sure they said all that when the Hawks list was under-developed as well at that stage then
In fact, didn't we laugh at them
Hardwick's had one game and you're out for him already
He wasn't my first choice either but FFS, give him a chance

Have seen enough of the practise matches and round 1 to say this.
 we need to see a competitive effort tomorrow and not have players jump out of the way of shadows, as was the case last week,
If we arent competitive tomorrow, he will need to make decisions this early in the season of the players that arent up to it and play them at Coburg for the remainder of the year.
Players in danger will include Nahas, Moore  and Edwards. He has already seems to have views on Rance Graham and Tuck.
Saying that, I really beleive we will be highly competitive tomorrow, if not watch out..
Would also like to see him ""INVENT "" his own style in regards to changing structures up.
EG.McGuane down forward just has to happen tomorrow..
Even Edwards inside F50.

FNM

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 01:56:04 PM »
Every year there'll be players that are not up to it
That's footy
Tomorrow is going to be a big ask for any club let alone a team of babies and novices
If they have a go, that's all you really can expect
I thought they had a go last week but weren't up to it
I expect the same this week