Author Topic: Cousins on Nova this morning, admits he let Richmond down [merged]  (Read 1630 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Cousins was on Hughesy and Kate this morning brief summary:

- Connors was in toxicated
- Boys were loud and were told off by security
- Ben tried to restrain Connors and as Connors woke up with a black eye
- Ben was not intoxicated (Didnt say if McGuane or Polo were)
- Ben did NOT miss the recovery session the next morning. Connors Polo and McGuane did
- Ben said he completly wears the punishment and the guys should know and him especially not to put themselves in invulnerable situations
- Ben said Connors is a fantastic guy, great mates before this and still are
- Ben said Connors had a great pre season and is in our best 22 he's gotta go away work hard and get back in the side
- Ben said as a group were behind Connors helping him get back he's admitted to a problem and working towards fixing it
- Ben said he hasn't got a problem with going out. He doesn't go out anymore this was a problem that was IN.
- Ben said he'll play at Coburg with Polo and McGuane at Frankston this week

That's about all I can remember and I missed the introduction
Go Tigers!

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Cousins on Nova this morning
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:28:47 AM »
Cousins was on Hughesy and Kate this morning brief summary:

- Connors was in toxicated
- Boys were loud and were told off by security
- Ben tried to restrain Connors and as Connors woke up with a black eye
- Ben was not intoxicated (Didnt say if McGuane or Polo were)
- Ben did NOT miss the recovery session the next morning. Connors Polo and McGuane did
- Ben said he completly wears the punishment and the guys should know and him especially not to put themselves in invulnerable situations
- Ben said Connors is a fantastic guy, great mates before this and still are
- Ben said Connors had a great pre season and is in our best 22 he's gotta go away work hard and get back in the side
- Ben said as a group were behind Connors helping him get back he's admitted to a problem and working towards fixing it
- Ben said he hasn't got a problem with going out. He doesn't go out anymore this was a problem that was IN.
- Ben said he'll play at Coburg with Polo and McGuane at Frankston this week

That's about all I can remember and I missed the introduction

cheers pl, thanjks
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Cousins admits he let Richmond down
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »
Cousins admits he let Richmond down
Updated April 13, 2010 10:49:00

Controversial midfielder Ben Cousins says he let Richmond down after he was one of four Tigers players suspended by the AFL club for misbehaviour following the heavy loss to Sydney.

Utility Daniel Connors was suspended for eight matches after being involved in a drunken rampage at Sydney's Intercontinental Hotel in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Cousins and team-mates Luke McGuane and Dean Polo were banned for Saturday's game against Melbourne after Tigers officials decided they did not do enough to prevent the situation from getting out of hand.

"I've got to take responsibility," Cousins told Nova 100 on Tuesday.

"It was a situation with a player where it gets away from him.

"(Connors) has to put his hand up to say that he did it.

"He is a young, excitable, talented player and when something like that happens I guess everyone that was there or was in involved has to ask themselves if they could have done more to prevent the situation from escalating."

Cousins admitted that Connors received a black eye during attempts to restrain him.

"I got involved and forcibly tried to slow him up a little bit and I have found myself in a situation before where I have needed the same thing," he said.

"It's disappointing that we have found ourselves in this situation and let the footy club down."

The former West Coast captain, who turns 32 in June, was spoken to about alleged binge drinking by Richmond officials during the off-season.

But he denied he was drunk during the latest off-field incident to hit the struggling club.

Cousins, who has already missed one match in 2010 due to injury, will play for Richmond's VFL affiliate Coburg this weekend.

The Tigers are in last place on the AFL ladder after three successive heavy defeats to start the season under new coach Damien Hardwick.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/13/2871186.htm?site=sport&section=afl

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cousins admits he let Richmond down
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:42:35 AM »
The club has done the right thing here and Cousins is completely accepting of their decision. This is exactly the right message to Connors and the rest of the group about acceptable behaviour and peer support. The one thing that is not acceptable though is the media's desperate spin to try and paint Ben as having problems with substance abuse. They are relentless and I just hope Ben has the support and mental fortitude to continue to weather the continuous media storm.

Stripes

FNM

Re: Cousins admits he let Richmond down
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »
The one thing that is not acceptable though is the media's desperate spin to try and paint Ben as having problems with substance abuse.
They have different rules for journalists with alcohol problems though  ::)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:50:59 PM »

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 01:54:29 PM »
I reckon Cuz has handled himself pretty well in this case.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

tony_montana

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »
I reckon Cuz has handled himself pretty well in this case.

He's actually shown good leadership in the way he's handled himself in the aftermath imo. Hope he and the club stay strong and use this as a building block to move fwd positively, don't let the effin parasites(media) drive him out of the game prematurely, this bloke still has a role to play at our club.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »
this bloke still has a role to play at our club.

Yeah his value isn't about the number of kicks & handballs he gets on game day. Whether the media wants to admit it or not what he has taught the kids about preparation and training is something that we will benefit from in the future.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cousins breaks new ground in bizarre behaviour (Australian)
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 01:21:59 AM »
Cousins breaks new ground in bizarre behaviour
Courtney Walsh
The Australian
April 14, 2010

EVEN for Ben Cousins with his troubled history, his witching hour behaviour on Sunday broke new ground.

Punching a teammate is nothing new for the Tiger.

His brawl with one of his best mates, Daniel Kerr, at the Claremont nightspot Club Bayview in 2002 left him with a broken arm and was the first indication something was seriously awry with the pin-up boy. Then there was his role in another incident near the end of his career as an Eagle -- one likely to feature in a book on Cousins said to be due for release at season's end -- that led to other former teammates fighting.

But to thump a mate in the hope of doing good? It's a first for Cousins and surely something that could happen only at Richmond.

The former Brownlow medallist, who will play with Coburg this weekend after being banned for a week for his part in the farce at Sydney's InterContinental Hotel following the loss to the Swans, yesterday admitted he was partly responsible for troubled Tiger Daniel Connors' battered look at an early morning recovery session on Sunday. That a toilet bowl was involved is perhaps fitting given the storm created on the night.

Cousins acknowledged he had some expertise when it comes to teammates using force to subdue another but, in his drug-addicted past, it had been him on the wrong end of the fist.

"He is a young, excitable, talented player and when something like that happens, I guess everyone that was there or was in involved has to ask themselves if they could have done more to prevent the situation from escalating," Cousins said yesterday.

"I got involved and forcibly tried to slow him up a little bit and I have found myself in a situation before where I have needed the same sort of thing." The 31-year-old, banned for drug abuse at West Coast and sacked by the club and then deregistered after a litany of bizarre misdemeanours, yesterday did not express any qualms about the latest sanction.

With his own history of substance abuse, Cousins admitted, perhaps he should have done more to prevent Connors -- who received an eight-week ban for provoking the trouble -- from hitting the drink, especially as the young Tiger was known, as he confessed on Monday, to have a problem with alcohol.

"I'm not sitting here saying it is unfair. I've got to take responsibility. It's disappointing that we have found ourselves in this situation and let the footy club down," Cousins said in his paid weekly slot with a Melbourne radio station.

"I think he (Connors) has put his hand up to say that he has a few things to work on. That is where the responsibility from the whole group comes in. We have got to make sure that he doesn't find himself in vulnerable situations. "Knowing Dan Connors and the sort of bloke that he is, he will go back and work hard and use this as motivation to get back in the side.

Richmond football operations manager Craig Cameron said yesterday Cousins was not "the main instigator", but he should have done more to prevent the incident.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/cousins-breaks-new-ground-in-bizarre-behaviour/story-e6frg7mf-1225853375908