Author Topic: Tigers capitalise on golden opportunity: Tezza from the RFC site  (Read 1039 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Tigers capitalise on golden opportunity: Tezza from the RFC site
« on: December 02, 2004, 10:49:02 AM »
Tigers capitalise on golden opportunity
10:04:49 AM Thu 2 December, 2004
Richmond coach, Terry Wallace
richmondfc.com.au

The 2004 AFL National Draft was seen as a prime opportunity for Richmond to re-launch its future.

As the first league club to ever have four first round selections, and five picks inside the top 20, it was vital that the decision-making process was thorough and precise.

In reality, it probably takes three years before a club is clear as to how it has performed in each draft, as players need that time to develop and mature. But, as senior coach, I was very confident in the professionalism of both the Club’s key recruiting men, Greg Beck and Greg Miller.

Ten days before the draft, our recruiting staff and football division had a strategy meeting at my home. As a group, we went through the possibilities for each selection and the type of players the Tigers required for future success.

I have a blueprint based on statistical data and my own beliefs on what it takes to win premierships, and all trading and drafting decisions are made according to this plan.

One of the first criteria that we agreed upon was not to speculate with our first-round selections. Some clubs, who had only one first round pick (i.e. St Kilda selection 17), would put a year’s effort into choosing the best player available, so it was imperative that we had as much respect for our fourth selection as we did for our first.

This year there was no certainty with regards to the No. 1 pick in the country. Most AFL judges believed it was a choice in two – 17-year-old Brett Deledio from Kyabram, or the explosive Richard Tambling from Darwin, while the Western Bulldogs had Ryan Griffen as their No. 1 target.

A great deal of discussion went into the selection and, finally, the Club decided on the well-rounded Deledio.

About four days before the draft a rumor got back to us that Hawthorn was possibly going to pull a surprise and select Jarryd Roughead from Gippsland and then hope that we would choose a taller, key-position player with selection No. 4, leaving Richard Tambling still available at pick 5 for Hawthorn to secure.

With this knowledge, Greg Miller flew up to Darwin to talk again to Tambling and, on his return, we locked into selecting the best player available, regardless of size.
:bow :bow

On the day the rumor turned out to be correct, and I couldn’t have been more pleased to secure the services of who, I felt, were the two best available players in the Draft.

From then on, you need some luck to get the players you are looking for. Frequently, on draft day, clubs are disappointed when their No. 1 priority is taken just before their selection and they then have to turn to their second or third options.

This year, the draft went according to plan for us, and we were able to snare our first selection with virtually every pick.

Of course, we all must wait to see if these selections are justified, but as senior coach I am extremely pleased with the efforts of the recruiting department to deliver the talent necessary for the Tigers’ future success.

Our football division has a clear direction for the future and every decision now made will be guided towards developing our own stars.

Here are my own brief thoughts on each player the Tigers drafted . . .

BRETT DELEDIO (1): Quick and highly-skilled, Brett can play anywhere from half-back through the middle to half-forward. He is a genuine goalkicker, who has the ability to influence games.

RICHARD TAMBLING (4): Tiger supporters will love this bloke, who is lightening quick and a goalkicker. He is an on-ball rover, tough enough to win his own ball, and he has a naturally competitive spirit.

DANNY MEYER (12): Danny is a gifted athlete, who also is extremely quick. His foot skills will have him in the elite bracket at the Club. Can play anywhere through the midfield to half-forward, and he’s a multiple goalkicker.

ADAM PATTISON (16): A ruckman/key position player. Spent most of last season at centre half-forward, but is a capable ruckman as well. He is dedicated to constant improvement and is super fit, with strong marking skills.

DEAN POLO (20): Dean is a genuine “footballer”. Competitive in nature, he will keep his head over the ball at all times. An All-Australian under-18s representative, he’s best suited either at half-back, or in the middle where the action is.

LUKE McGUANE (36): At 17, Luke still has a good deal of exciting development left in him. He plays as a third, tall forward and, with the potential for further growth, could develop into a key-position player. Always plays in front and keeps his eye on the ball.

DEAN LIMBACH (52): A speculative selection deeper in the draft. Dean has the athletic capabilities to be a top player. Injuries ruined his 2004 season, but if he is prepared to do the hard yards, he now gets his chance. Has played his best footy as a deep, goalkicking forward.

MARK GRAHAM (65): While some of our younger brigade are maturing, we needed some back-up experience. Mark had a pretty good season this year, but found himself at a club that was heading in a new direction. He has not lost any of his athleticism, and will be a valuable contributor for the Tigers.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=179446
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Bulluss

Re: Tigers capitalise on golden opportunity: Tezza from the RFC site
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 12:59:34 PM »
I have a blueprint based on statistical data and my own beliefs on what it takes to win premierships, and all trading and drafting decisions are made according to this plan.

Did Danny Frawley ever have one of these or even know what it takes to develop one?

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 01:27:09 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  !!

Some releif !!

Now isn't this better than the off-field crap we've been discussing.  I'd love to get to training one of these days.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 01:33:25 PM »
Im tipping Hawthorn will be spitting chips over this article! :thumbsup