Author Topic: When the war is over  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
When the war is over
« on: December 10, 2004, 03:02:40 PM »
RFC reminds me of one of those wore torn countries.  You just wonder if and when it will all end.  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

When this latest war is over, what will be left of our footy club?

Even when the votes have been counted, will it really be over, or are we just someone else’s ego away from this sort of upheaval again?

I just wish we could get beyond all the instability and in-fighting and get on with the playing side of things.  And until we do the on-field side of things will just be an aside to RFC’s existence.

And the way things are, it just seems that everyone loves Richmond so much that they’re prepared to tear it apart just to prove to everyone how much they really do care.  I just hope there’s something left of Richmond for everyone else to still be able to care about when the current bunch of egomaniacs have all finished preening themselves.

It might be a different decade, different year and a different day, but it’s still the same bulltish as always.  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
Re: When the war is over
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 03:17:55 PM »
Well, once the vote is done it should calm down.

However, there's a few people have worked themselves into a lather over this and they might take a while to settle. In fact, if CC gets back I'd say we're about 100 votes off turmoil at any time.

Not sure if the alternative gets up - depends on how long they can hold their tongues before starting to meddle with what's been set up. This is because even if they agree with the new structure, they'll want to do something to make it "theirs" rather than their predecessors. And there's a few "formers" who'll want a piece of the action in return for their support. You can't make them all footy manager.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 04:21:45 PM »
IMO footy clubs only quieten down when there's on-field success. I don't reckon it's a coincidence that the political turmoil this year occurred at the clubs that finished 14th, 15th and 16th. Just look at the Dees 2003 when they finished botton 4 compared to this year. As on-field success is still going to be a couple years away at least there's still a chance of rumblings if supporters get impatient. I'm hoping everyone will be so sick of the fighting amongst our own that the "war" will be over for good after Dec. 22.

As for this time next year, if Casey's ticket or most of it gets up then IMO he'll be under the hammer straight off. Even if he delivers on his off-field (financial) pledges I can still imagine some cries for his head if we finish down the bottom again (and there's a good chance we will) because there'll be some supporters stupidly expecting Wallace and the new kids to turn things around for us quickly. Hope I'm wrong and we'll be patient.

If Macek's ticket or most of it gets in then they'll get the usual honeymoon period no matter what happens but if in a couple of years if they don't deliver on their hand-wavey promises then expect the same people who support them now to turn on them and the coach just like we've done for over the past two decades.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

blx

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 06:22:44 PM »
very good summaution there mighty, as for the alternative ticket, i agree if things start going pear shaped once they get in, you can guess now who'll want out. Then expect the headlines to start up all over again for all the wromg reasons  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

change never worked then why is it any different now. MILLERTIME  :rollin

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 06:49:17 PM »
"When the war is over, gotta get away.  Pack my bags to no place and no time of day"

(apologies to Cold Chisel)

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 02:27:41 PM »

We'll all get behind the club once the election is over. And we'll turn on Casey the moment we lose 3 games in a row. That's just the Richmond way. If you're sick of it, things are much nicer following the Dees. More polite supporters and they still clap the team when they lose games.

froars

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 03:51:13 PM »
Anyone know what date we will know the result?

Just wondering so we can either:

A)  Start gloating; or

B)  Start sticking the boots in  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 04:00:34 PM »
LOL

Given that all ballot papers have to be received by the returning officer by 5pm Friday and no later and that counting 18,000 votes won't take long, I'd reckon a "leaked" result could be known by the weekend. If they don't count it on weekends then Monday for sure. The result has to known before the AGM Wednesday week so that we have the victorious candidates up on stage.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 04:08:55 PM »
I'm collecting 100 signatures for an EGM. We should have one EGM each month - two in January because that's a slow month.

:santa

froars

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 04:10:02 PM »
Thanks MT.  
Hope we're all gloating - i'm good at that lol
Not bad at sticking the old boots in either, if i may say so myself  :rollin

froars

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 04:12:18 PM »
I'm collecting 100 signatures for an EGM. We should have one EGM each month - two in January because that's a slow month.

Brilliant idea PS:  if we don't like the result, we'll just have to have an EGM until we do.  that's the usual practice when we don't get our own way hey lol

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 06:30:04 PM »

Doesnt matter who wins the election. If we're not a top 4 side in 2007, everyone involved with this election will deserve to be shot for setting those expectations.

If we're not, the winner will be the real loser come 2 years.

Ox

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 07:49:06 PM »
"When the war is over, gotta get away.  Pack my bags to no place and no time of day"

(apologies to Cold Chisel)

just realised that that lyric doesn't make sense.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 09:25:05 AM »
How many lyrics really do make sense?  I think one of the best nonsensical lyrics is from "I am the walrus" - sitting on a cornflake?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 02:45:47 PM »

Seems like we could know over the weekend.

==================

Macek promises to work with rivals
14 December 2004   Herald Sun
Jon Pierik

ALTERNATIVE Richmond president Charles Macek has vowed to end the bloodletting and unite the club if he wins power on Saturday.

As votes continue to pour in to decide who takes charge at Punt Rd, Macek said he didn't expect either party to claim all nine seats up for grabs.

Ballots have been sent to 22,500 adult Tiger members, with Macek expecting about 10-12,000 to lodge their vote with receiving officers PricewaterhouseCoopers.

Returning officer Tony Hallam is keeping a progressive count until Friday's 5pm deadline. Scrutineers will check his result on Saturday morning, with an unofficial announcement likely soon after.

Under the club's constitution, Hallam is not allowed to disclose an updated count.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11683543%255E19771,00.html
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.