Author Topic: Rex Hunt to help out  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Rex Hunt to help out
« on: December 19, 2004, 08:53:03 AM »
Hunt Hunt offers help
19 December 2004
Sunday Herald Sun
JON PIERIK

GREG Miller will fulfil his duty as a Richmond board member next season, but Rex Hunt will help the young players and assist in securing sponsors.

The dual Tigers premiership player received a phone call from new coach Terry Wallace yesterday and said: "I'm on board at 100km/h."

Hunt's bid to align himself with Clinton Casey left both parties embarrassed in late November when it was revealed the colourful commentator was not a club member.

The popular Miller, who is also the Tigers' director of football, then took Hunt's place -- an inspired move which played an instrumental role in Casey's re-election. While Hunt recently indicated he wasn't overly enthusiastic about joining the board, the Tigers have not given up hope.

"I have no intention of walking off tomorrow and putting somebody else on," Miller said.

"We'll see what happens in the next six months, 12 months, and see what's best for the footy club.

"If we can get a guy like Rex, he would be the final part in the jigsaw."

Casey said Hunt would be a great asset to the Tigers.

"I don't think he is utilised as much as I would like to see him utilised," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/fo...5E20322,00.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 08:54:36 AM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

froars

Re: Rex Hunt to help out
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 10:59:49 AM »
I think Rex needs to be around the club a lot more than he is to get some passion back.  He has passion, but has been from a distance in a commentators box.  Be good to see him more at the club, with the boys, with the supporters, attend games where he's not commentating and get the feel of the supporters.

I very much wanted him on the board at first, but now i'm not so sure.  Not because i don't think he's not capable, but his recent dismissals of not wanting to be on the board after all the crap that went on - and that letter he wrote on 3AW which i thought was pretty pathetic - shows he would not be committed.  He needs to "want" to be there, and i don't think he does at the moment.

Having said that, i still think he's a great RFC person and identity, and if he had his mindset right, would be the first person i'd pick.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 12:15:27 PM »
I reckon there is good chance that this will happen Moi.

He will not have his TV commitments with his fishing show - so there is a bit more time. I am pretty sure I heard or read that he intends to not call as much footy once his current contract with 3AW is finished - at the moment he does Friday nights, Saturday arvos and Sundays - that's a lot and deosn't give much chance to get to footy games unless we are palying Saturday nights.

He has always made himself available to MC the THC luncheons and his passion shines through at those. I think with Tezza as coach we are going to see alot of not only Rex Hunt but a heap of other past players involved at the club. :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline starkravenmad2

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 08:35:11 PM »
hard to understand the faith people have in rex.he has never shown himself to be a team player or sensible with his comments.He appears to have only one intrest in mind when he speaks and that is himself,IMO we dont need this at the club now we need calm measured responses to problems that arise or all we are going to hear is u voted for them its your fault and the alts forum at pre are going to go nuts.By the way unbelivable as it sounds they are thanking pahoff for his good work with the petition and hoping he gives greg miller his advice on recruiting :help :help all we need im sure

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 08:56:24 PM »
they are thanking pahoff for his good work with the petition and hoping he gives greg miller his advice on recruiting
His scouting reports of the U/18 comp are quite good. Just ask him. ;D If he couldn't name-drop, pee in his own pocket and pump up his own tyres about his selfless work he'd probably have bugger all to post about.
Having said that, his reports are honestly very good and would be helpful to the recruiting staff.

I'm not a big fan of Rex but I think he'd be fantastic for the club as a board member.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 08:58:02 PM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 08:46:43 AM »
hard to understand the faith people have in rex.he has never shown himself to be a team player or sensible with his comments.He appears to have only one intrest in mind when he speaks and that is himself,

I have heard Rex speak at a couple of functions. His passion for the Tigers, his teammates and his coach Tommy Hafey cannot be questioned - he is a very inspirational speaker in that regard and that's where his benefit to the club would be - membership and marketing. It is interesting that when he talks about his career he now admits he made a mistake in leaving the Tigers - may have earnt more moeny at Geelong but doesn't have the same fondness or link to the other Clubs he played at.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 04:26:41 AM »
I met him years ago at that Richmond vs Carlton Legends game in 1990 (I think).  He was commentating off the interchange bench...  BIG man, and seemed like a good bloke.

Most of the ex players really got along with him that day,  and I assume this continues, even after the ex player support split pre the election.

Bit like the boss you knew was passionate and determined as well as being quite relaxed. 

I will welcome him down in some capacity at Tigerland.  Not sure about future President, but thats my opinion.....