Author Topic: Daniel Jackson on the Australian Flag debate  (Read 2073 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Daniel Jackson on the Australian Flag debate
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:52:41 PM »
Life, Not so Black and Yellow
Daniel Jackson blog
Wednesday, January 26, 2011

http://lifenotsoblackandyellow.blogspot.com/2011/01/flag-this-question.html?spref=tw

Flag this question..

It seems my suggestion today that we, as Australians should change our flag has stirred up plenty of chatter on my Twitter. It's great to see people have strong opinions about their country even if they don't agree with me. At this stage it's about 60-40 in favour of changing it but seeing as though I'm as stubborn as they come I'm definitely sticking to my guns and saying it's time for a change.

Why do I think so? Because it's time! Our current flag is representative in part by another nation. In fact as I sit here writing this with the cricket on in the background I'm left wondering how the Poms don't remind us more that we are living off their history. And of course I can't argue that our history isn't intertwined with theirs and I wouldn't want to. Let me be clear, I'm as proud of our history as any other Australian. I spent many of my years at school studying Australian history, I've been to Changi prison in Singapore and some of the war memorials in northern France and Belgium. In fact my grandfather served in World War Two and I attended the ANZAC Day march every year to see him (my birthday is even on ANZAC day!). I think the only thing I haven't done is get a Southern Cross tattoo but there are plenty of others who have, probably too many!

But since federation over 100 years ago Australians have been forging their own history and identity free from England and the British Empire. It may have been the British generals who ordered the ANZAC troops to attack on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey but it was the brave Aussie soldiers who sacrificed their lives for our great country. Since the end of WW2 in 1945 we have only grown further apart from our colonial past. We fought representing ourselves along side the US in Vietnam and do so now in Iraq and Afghanistan. The reason I raise so many examples of war and our soldiers is because many of those who disagree with the idea of making the change do so on the grounds that such men have died serving our current flag. But it is only a symbol. What they fought for was their mates, their brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers. And that's what I think being Australian comes down to, the people.

We are a diverse multicultural society. We are renown for our friendly, easygoing and always willing to lend a hand approach to life. The way our people have conducted themselves during the current floods in Queensland and Victoria are a perfect example of what being Australian is all about. The Aussie character that is so well known around the world is not, British, not even remotely. I've often had arguments with many a backpacker both foreign and Aussie about 'what is Australian culture?'. And I don't know if this will surprise you but some people don't think we have one. They say we just copy everyone else's. Well I have the same answer for them, Australian culture is about people, it's about lifestyle, it's about our character. Character that has evolved over a retrospectively short but proud history. Character that once again has nothing to do with the Union Jack or the British Empire. And that is why I believe it is time for a flag change.

But there is a step we must first take. We need to open up the Republic discussion again and this time we must have an unbiased vote where the question is simply put to all Australians 'do we want to be a republic?'. And if the answer is yes then why not change the flag as well. Like a child grows up to eventually move out and fend for his or herself it's time for Australia to take that step and claim complete ownership of our achievements and failures because they are ours to be proud of and responsible for.

The last question is what would the new flag be? That I cannot answer (I haven't a creative bone in my body!) but in my opinion I think the stars should stay and just as importantly we need to acknowledge our Aboriginal history. I'd like to see the Aboriginal flag feature in some form, probably in the colours. Another suggestion on Twitter has been to use the Australian coat of arms although I'm reluctant to agree with that, think about all the poor school kids who would have to try and draw the kangaroo and the emu in class, it would be near impossible!!

Anyway I'm sure there will be plenty of differing opinions on this one so let rip!

http://lifenotsoblackandyellow.blogspot.com/2011/01/flag-this-question.html?spref=tw

Offline Fruity Morgan

• Jack Dyer medallist
Re: Daniel Jackson on the Australian Flag debate
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:33:38 AM »
It may have been the British generals who ordered the ANZAC troops to attack on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey but it was the brave Aussie soldiers who sacrificed their lives for our great country.

Two questions.

1. Why did we invade Turkey?

2. In what ways was this a sacrifice for Australia?

gerkin greg

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:12:15 AM »
It may have been the British generals who ordered the ANZAC troops to attack on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey but it was the brave Aussie soldiers who sacrificed their lives for our great country.

Two questions.

1. Kebabs

2. So we could all have kebabs

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:12:45 AM »
I can see us becoming a Republic eventually but not the flag while it has majority support. The other problem is no one can come up with an alternative that looks decent.

Two questions.

Turkey sided with Germany and Austria-Hungary. If the Gallipoli campaign hadn't been stuffed up from the start, the Allies could've invaded and marched up the peninsula to  capture Istanbul (then capital of Turkey) and then create a shipway via the Borporus and Black Sea to help Russia who were being pushed back by the Germans.

26000 casualities including 8000 dead.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 06:52:32 AM »
To much support for the current flag from the baby boomers. We need that generation to collectively drive their burgundy cars off a cliff to leave a majority wanting change. Hopefully when they do, they pack their porcelain ducks and John Farnham in the boot.

Offline Fruity Morgan

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
Mighty Tiges, I'd argue it was a sacrifice for Imperialism and not a sacrifice for Australia at all.

Meaningless deaths in a meanlingless war.......as usual