Author Topic: Herald-Sun Richmond season preview  (Read 1289 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Herald-Sun Richmond season preview
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:03:40 AM »
Here's the link to the "mega" Richmond-preview on the Herald-Sun website today....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2011-preview/richmond

The Herald-Sun will be having a live chat about Richmond today at 12.30pm at the above link.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Herald-Sun Richmond season preview
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:04:45 AM »
THE BUZZ - Jon Ralph

Time away from the game makes some plodders into champions. For Nathan Foley, 18 months with only a handful of appearances has made some people forget just how talented and valuble the former rookie has become.

While Foley is a star in his own right, it is what his addition does to the Richmond midfield that has the Tigers so excited. Foley rounds out an onball group that also includes an ultra fit Trent Cotchin ready to explode. He can run-and-carry, play an in-and-under role, instruct and teach, and even tag if needed. He will help release Dustin Martin to carry the ball more, and will take the heat off Cotchin. Of course, he needs to stay fit, but he is due a slice of luck on the injury front.

As for the rest of this list, the question marks are the key posts in defence, and the foil for Jack Riewoldt in attack. Kelvin Moore is the premier backman ahead of Will Thursfield, Luke McGuane and Alex Rance. But the Tigers do not have an elite defender. David Astbury will hold down centre half-back, but the competition for spots will be on.

Same up the other end. Jayden Post, Ty Vickery, Ben Griffiths and Troy Taylor will all get chances to be Riewoldt's wingman. Hopefully one can emerge as a genuine second target.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 03:06:24 AM »
Mike Sheahan and Sam Edmunds' video chat about Richmond ....

http://video.heraldsun.com.au/embed/1831791333/Richmond-Hope-at-last-for-Tiger-fans

Summary

Sam Edmunds: Richmond has had more false dawns than you've had backpage leads Mike. Why will this year be any different?

Mike Sheahan: It'll be different because the direction has changed. There's no doubt Damien Hardwick has come in and said we will rebuild from the bottom no matter how long it takes. They've done that and they've got some exciting kids. The Richmond faithful have had to be patient more than anyone else ... well maybe the Bulldogs .... but they have had to be patient. But they've seen Martin, Deledio and Cotchin emerge and Jack Riewoldt who I'm a real fan of. So there's something there to say we're looking forward to 2011. It's not going to take them to the Eight but hopefully it'll be a continual rise up the graph.

SE: Let's talk about Jackie Riewoldt. You couldn't have asked more from a player at a club where they finished. Is this the season where they say sheesh all he needs is some help?

MS: He'll need some help. You know what happens whenever a player has a good season; next year the attention is just huge from the opposition. They'll double team him and put pressure on the ball carrier upfield; and Richmond don't help themselves in that area the way they spray it around. He's a outstanding player is Riewoldt. His hands are so good and he puts himself in a position to get it. I don't know if he can replicate the 80 goals as it just puts their eggs in one basket if that happens but he'll be very formidable.

SE: Let's talk about Brad Miller; surely just a depth player?

MS: Yeah. Brad Miller is a good player to have in your footy club.  You'd think they wouldn't want him to play 22 games because there'll be an obvious hole in the spot he occupies; but he's going to be good for that football club.

The bloke I'm real pleased is back playing footy is Nathan Foley.

SE: I'm glad you mentioned him. Tell us about him?

MS: I like him, I like him! He's quick and he wins his own footy and what I like about him is what he does do is when he gets it he runs towards goal and he runs in a hurry.

SE: He's direct.

MS: When you go as quickly as he does and as directly as he does, the forwards get a chance to get it one-on-one. So he is a major plus for Richmond.

SE: Now I'm going to pin you down here with a tough question. Where will Richmond finish?

MS: I'll answer it this way - the worst they can possibly do and still continue the graph upwards is 6 wins with a healthy percentage. They should be expecting to win 8 and the dream should be 10.

SE: The thrashing have got to be reduced surely?

MS: That's the thing. Even if it doesn't sound like any improvement with 6 wins because they won 6 last year, their percentage was sub-60 at one stage last year, so if they were to win 6 games and have a percentage in the 90s then I'd say that's progress.  

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 03:13:21 AM »
And the Herald-Sun trying to be humourous.....

Q. If Richmond was an actor it would be ....... ?

A. Chevy Chase - big in the eighties. Haven't fired a shot since.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:50:04 AM »

We were big in the 80's?

We were big in 1980-82.  ::)
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:16:26 PM »
Herald-Sun live chat respones....

Hello. It's Glenn McFarlane here and I'm ready to talk about the Tigers.

Spoke to Trent Cotchin when he was on the New Zealand trip and he is fired up for a big season. Not sure he is yet in the mould of Selwood, but would love to find out with a full season under Cotch's belt.

Miller will play a big mentoring role. Dimma spoke highly about him and his involvement with the young guys. Didn't spend much to get Miller, so worth a punt. Understand your point on Bowden, but think the coach needed to make real changes in his first year

Back half for Deledio, with a few cameo runs through the middle in my view. The coach certainly wants that.

Agree, Houli definitely in top 22, probably in top 18

Newy has had a tough initation as skipper, but has plenty of respect within the group. Reckon it might make him an even better leader, but is a low-key bloke

Tigers taking cautious approach with Griffiths. Imagine how good it would be to have him, Jack and possibly Vickery in attack

Definitely Cotchin for mine [re: supercoach]. Foley will take time to find his feet. Has played only four of the club's past 30 games. Hardwick suggested it might take him half a year to get into a groove. But when he does, lookout

Backline still a real concern for me. Dimma said as much that they could not get the continuity through it last year. Like Astbury as a player, think backline is a work in progress.

Like all four of the C's at Richmond that you mentioned guru. Can;t wait to see Conca in Round 1. Coach says he is almost certain to play, along with Batchelor and Helbig strong chances

Definitely need more goals from midfield. It's a crucial element of success these days, take Collingwood for instance. can't rely on Riewoldt to kick 32 per cent of goals every year

Tough early draw for Tigers - need to beat North in R5 and have a serious crack at carlton in Round 1. Saints, Hawks and Pies look tough

Agree on Vickery. we always mark big guys too early. He is only into his third year, and developing into a new role in attack. Let;s wait and see.

Conca and Batchelor are likely to play in Round 1. Massive start to their careers before massive crowd.

Skill issues are a worry. It was a concern in last week's praccy match against Hawks. Still miss too many targets, but they have worked hard to rectify things.

They are being a bit coy on Griffiths' progress. Reckon they won't rush him early.

Key position defence concerns me, the smaller backmen are fine.

I'd keep Newy in defence. Reckon there is a stack of speed in the midfield that Tigers can utilise. Midfield looks like it will be superb in a few years - Cotchin, Martin, Conca, etc

Reckon Griggy has Flea covered for SuperCoach. I am still having nightmares about dale Weightman from 1980 Grand Final.

Grigg will be a real addition. Have always thought he could play with limited chances at Carlton. He will get those chances now, so needs to step up.

Tigers targeted him midway through the season and got their man. They were also into Sherman but missed out on him.

Great that Troy Taylor decided to keep pushing ahead with AFL. The coach reckons he will be very handy in attack this year. Hopefully with his off-field issues in check, he can be a lot more consistent

Yeah, you can't expect Foley to slip straight back in and be the same player he was a few years ago. It will take time.

He has looked a little rusty in the preseason, but tigers won't push him too hard. Look for a strong second half of the year from him

Derickx was a bonus late draft pick and the coach reckons he has done well. Good back up - he's 23, so he has got a bit of maturity about him

All is fine with Shane Tuck, and why wouldn't it be after his last 20 games in 2010. Averaged almost 26 touches and laid plenty of tackles. If the club was worried about his defensive efforts going into last season, they aren't now,

Think you needed to turn over 26 players, Tiger Pops. It was a move Hardwick had to make. Get players who can use the ball better and hopefully that has happened

Grigg is a tough nut, so that wouldn't surprise if he looks after Cotch a bit. I've never taken Cotchin in SuperCoach before, but I will be this year.

The coach is concerned that the 2010 model got blown away in quarters - whether that was first or last. They have worked hard on gaining a consistency this year, proof will be in the pudding,

Definitely can't give away four or five goal head starts. That needs to start with the carlton game - can't give up seven goals in first term as they did last year

Post needs to settle in one position, I reckon. Stop moving him about

Funny line, Zeptus, about the little midfielders (re: all Tiger mids small and skinny). That's why Martin will eventually be sensational there. He's tough.

Contin worth a bench position for supercoach - he will probably play 10-12 games

No chance of Fev if you listen to the coach. Won't happen, even though he and Newy are still close.

Coach likes Grimes down there, and has been impressed by Bachelor. Still a few unresolved issues in the backline, too

Big year required from Alex Rance. Just doesn;t have an on-off button, which is admirable but needs harnessing

Gourdis seemed to be an emergercy most of the year in 2010. haven't seen him play live a great deal, but will get plenty of chances to lock in a spot.

Totally agree about great midfields making Ok defences look good. Try Hawthorn 2008 - that's what happened there.

Too early to start saying Tiger midfield will be awesome, but it's looking pretty bloody good at the moment. Imagine what it might be like in 2012 and 2013

Really happy for kingy on his season last year. No one tries harder, no one goes harder. But he found a niche and hope he keeps it.

Think you will find the new equipment in the Tigers redevelopment might build a few bigger bodies. But take your point on that.

Post in the midfield? Interesting. Blues are planning to do that with Kreuzer when he comes back. might be a way of the future

I wouldn't be getting rid of Tuck, I might have said yes 12 months ago, but have changed my mind.

Morton will play a bit midfield and a bit forward

Clearly Tigers need new avenues to goal - other than Jack. Vickery needs to kick 30 if he left down deep in attack

Wow! 150 supercoach points for Cotch - I will be taking him. Might just be ready to explode.

Depending on the carlton game (which is winnable) reckon the Tigers could be 0-4. But I promise you it won't be 0-9 like it was last year.

Jury's out with me on little Robbie Nahas. Great finish year but just didn;t have the same spark last season. Needs a big year.

Sorry, Tickles. Can't say how many games Gourdis will play. Would love to think he could slot in down back somewhere. There will be openings.

I totally agree with Dimma about the reliance on Jack. You don't want another reliance situation as was the case with Richo. Need goals from Ty, Post, Griff and the little blokes as well.

Sorry, Chris, not much chance of finals in my view. I like your optimism, Vic Tiger. Would make for a cracker Round 24.

I reckon the Tigers need to be aiming to win between 7 and 9 games. That would be a real bonus. At some stage they will string some games together - as they did last year - but there will be occasional blips on the radar

As Damien Hardwick, we won't be taking short cuts. That has happened in the past, and hopefully they will stick to the long-term goal this time around

hard to move Connors out of defence given what he did late last year. But he is a reasonably good kick, so you never know. I reckon he can go to another level - really liked the way he knuckled down after his early season issue, and finish the year off well. Loved his game against Freo

Grigg/Collins - Flip of the coin trade - could go either way. I just reckon Grigg was the sort of player the Tigers needed - he likes contested ball and that will be a bonus.

yes, there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel, but there's still a bit further to go. You are probably halfway through the tunnel, I reckon. Things can turn quickly. Reckon Collingwood was still well placed a few years ago (2005, when 15th), but they were able to go out and get Pendlebury and Thomas. But Tigers are definitely on the right track. I really rate the coach

Agree with your assesment, Anomalos. Won;t make the eight, but will win some big games. Let's hope it starts with Carlton.

Nason definitely small crumbing forward. Would love to see small Tigers in attack get some of that defensive pressure that the elite clubs have got

Hey guys, that's it for today. Thanks so much for your time. Really enjoyed talking about the Tigers. They won't make the eight for mine, but will continue the upward spiral and really like the imprint that damien Hardwick has made. Hopefully the Round 1 games against the Blues is a cracker.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 04:28:07 PM »

Obviously they haven't watched Community! Best Show Evar!!!