Author Topic: Ex-Tigers join recruiting team  (Read 2020 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Ex-Tigers join recruiting team
« on: February 11, 2005, 03:42:01 PM »
Jackson jets back to Tigerland . . .
11:50:04 AM Fri 11 February, 2005
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Thirty years after departing Richmond as part of that famous trade deal for John Pitura, Francis Jackson is returning to Punt Road in a key, part-time recruiting capacity.

The now 50-year-old, who was swapped to South Melbourne, along with Brian ‘The Whale’ Roberts and Graham Teasdale midway through the 1975 season for Pitura, will oversee the Tigers’ recruiting department.

“I first met Francis when he came across to the Swans, where I was playing at the time, and we’ve been best mates ever since,” said Richmond’s Director of Football, Greg Miller.

“In 1979 he hurt his knee and missed a year of football. While he was out injured, he was appointed coach of South Melbourne thirds – that was the high esteem Ian Stewart (senior Swans coach at the time) held him in.

“He went on to play more than 100 games, and he earned a reputation as a very solid, reliable performer . . .

“As soon as he finished playing, I got him involved in recruiting at South Melbourne, then took him across to North Melbourne, where he’s worked for the last 20 years as a senior part-timer. Throughout that period, he’s been a sports master at Brighton Grammar, and was actually named coach of their Team of the Century.

“Francis will continue to be Brighton Grammar’s sports master, but he’ll also spend a lot of time down at Punt Road overseeing the recruiting department of three administrative part-timers behind the scenes, and six out in the field every weekend. He’ll organise all that, so he’ll be around the Club a fair bit.”

Friendship aside, Miller believes Jackson is ideally equipped to tackle such an important part-time function with the Tigers.

“He brings 25 years of experience, plus plenty of energy into the role – and he’s got a really good eye for talent, which the Kangaroos would vouch for . . . they regard him very highly,” Miller said.

“I was reluctant to bring him across early doors, but without a full-time person, the timing’s right now to have him here with us.”

Miller also revealed that another ex-Tiger would be joining Jackson as part of Richmond’s recruiting team.

“I’ve brought across another former Richmond under 19s player in Peter Cecil. I played with him at Punt Road in 1971, and he won the goalkicking that year. He’s also been working in recruiting with the Kangaroos and has done a good job,” Miller said.

“So, we’ve been able to bolster our recruiting set-up on a part-time basis, in an attempt to cover the full-time work that Greg Beck did so well for the Club over nine years.

“It’s a new era, and we welcome aboard Francis and Peter . . .”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=184862
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Ex-Tigers join recruiting team
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 03:53:27 PM »
Thirty years after departing Richmond as part of that famous trade deal for John Pitura, Francis Jackson is returning to Punt Road in a key, part-time recruiting capacity.

The now 50-year-old, who was swapped to South Melbourne, along with Brian ‘The Whale’ Roberts and Graham Teasdale midway through the 1975 season for Pitura, will oversee the Tigers’ recruiting department.

Jackson will at least know what dud trades to avoid after being part of one of the worst trades in history. The other would be letting go Raines, Cloke and Wood in 83  :scream.

Speaking of recruiting there was that rumour posted on BF's main board about us going after West Coast's recruiting manager Trevor Woodhouse with the view to get him over to Punt Road as head recruiter next year ??.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 04:02:59 PM »

Speaking of recruiting there was that rumour posted on BF's main board about us going after West Coast's recruiting manager Trevor Woodhouse with the view to get him over to Punt Road as head recruiter next year ??.

Would depend on the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I would have thought.

At least it is pleasing to know that we have a recruting department and that there will be a number of people out there "spying" every week.

However they better stay away from Glenferrie oval or little Ali Clarkson may try and whack 'em on the nose :rollin :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 04:21:19 PM »
However they better stay away from Glenferrie oval or little Ali Clarkson may try and whack 'em on the nose :rollin :rollin

The Hawks don't want to give away their gel, combing and blonde highlighting secrets  :lol

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 05:12:28 PM »

The Hawks don't want to give away their gel, combing and blonde highlighting secrets :lol

A bit like us last year having a closed training session once a week.  Probably so that we wouldn’t give away all our secrets on how to consistently lose a game of football, no doubt.  ::) :help
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.