Author Topic: Jack Dyer Stand redevelopment  (Read 1865 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Dyer Stand redevelopment
« on: April 19, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »
The redevelopment of the old Jack Dyer Stand has started with the old changerooms and gym being gutted. The original bar can now be seen again.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/112013/default.aspx

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Jack Dyer Stand redevelopment
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
CLASSIC - Sometimes I wish I coulda been born 30 years earlier - Glad I got to see the last of the suburban footy 'Just' tho.
Would of been in my element those days.

gerkin greg

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »
yeah they need to reopen that gin bar  :thumbsup

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
gee what a treasure, bloody suprised the national Trust don't want  a piece of that :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

gerkin greg

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »
“It was just exciting . . . The premiership pennants - 1920, ’21, ’32 and ’34 - would be fluttering from the top of the stand, and you’d get goose-bumps coming down Punt Road, walking past all the houses, especially if there was a north wind blowing and they were flying in the breeze . . . It was really terrific.”

More of this  :thumbsup
I can't recall seeing any pennants flying around PRO, the club needs to hook up all 10 with a couple of empty flagpoles to aim at

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »
“It was just exciting . . . The premiership pennants - 1920, ’21, ’32 and ’34 - would be fluttering from the top of the stand, and you’d get goose-bumps coming down Punt Road, walking past all the houses, especially if there was a north wind blowing and they were flying in the breeze . . . It was really terrific.”

More of this  :thumbsup
I can't recall seeing any pennants flying around PRO, the club needs to hook up all 10 with a couple of empty flagpoles to aim at

Good call GG...
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:34:09 PM »
We wouldn't be able to fly the originals but replicas of each of the flags could be the go. We have flag poles right along Punt Rd now with banners of the players IIRC.

I'm glad I was old enough to see most of the suburban grounds when they were still in use too CUB. As much as big wide spaced stadia and crowds is great, there was a culture on Saturday arvos in Melbourne that's disappeared of supporters of every club travelling by public transport to each of their respective grounds where you'd be jammed in like sardines lol and then you'd bump into each other on the way home where you'd hear how the other games went. Now the AFL bans footy on Saturday arvo for 10 weeks because in winter it might be cold and wet ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

10 FLAGS

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:53:29 PM »
I like the flying the pennants idea. Maybe on Matchdays for Home Games at the G. It would be terrific for all the supporters.

gerkin greg

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:10:26 AM »
Get em up there all year round, doesn't matter if they are replicas

Winning culture over losing culture

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:37:56 AM »
Ahh what memories.

I was fortunate enough to experience quite a bit of suburban footy. Regularly went to Junction Oval, Lake Oval, Windy Hill & Arden St following the Tiges. Only made it to the Western Oval once as it was harder to get to. Never went to Vic Park on principle. In those days as a 7-10 year old I felt quite comfortable catching trains and trams on my own from my home base of Caulfield. I can still remember the unmistakable smell of Huttons Hot Dogs, Four n' Twenty Pies, White Crow sauce and of course the long range smell of the Purple Maymax Donut Vans with the smell that hit you as soon as you got off the Train or Tram.