Author Topic: Coaches since our last premiership – Rate them  (Read 1245 times)

FNM

Coaches since our last premiership – Rate them
« on: May 28, 2011, 03:49:36 PM »
An exercise to see how you rate our coaches since 1980.  Take into account the players they had, the resources the club had etc etc.

Ideally, would be good if you could discuss them and then rate them in say a week or so of discussion, provided you want to discuss this at all lol.

So, in order:

Bourke
Patterson
Jewell
KB
Jeans
Northey
Walls
Giesch
Frawley
Wallace
Hardwick

:gotigers

10 FLAGS

Re: Coaches since our last premiership – Rate them
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »
Bourke - 5 (had a great team got to a grand final but came up short)
Patterson - 4 (came with expectation but couldnt do it)
Jewell - 4 (came back for a 2nd effort but didnt have the players this time)
KB - 7 (was on the right path before being sacked)
Jeans - 4 (wasnt the allan jeans who coached at hawthorn and not his fault he was unwell)
Northey - 7 (created high emotion and got the club firing)
Walls - 2 (wrong coach for our club)
Giesch - 3 (Richmond needs a certain character to be coach, he didnt have it)
Frawley - 5 (did better than I expected but I didnt rate him to be honest)
Wallace - 3 (went of the rails after the 2nd year the last 2 years was a waste)
Hardwick - 7 (well and truly on the right path, probably for the first time since Bartlett, needs to continue but a real good start)

* Paul Sproule I rated as a coach and I would have given hima 5/6 out of 10. Sproule wasnt listed in the list.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:54:54 PM »
Bourke - 3 ...... Champion player/poor coach category. The 1982 side was better than 1980 IMO. Not having Roach and Taylor in the same side for the GF still makes you shake your head. Apparently got the players to write reports like they were at school which is part of the reason players left (as well as $$$).

Patterson - 4 ....... in the middle of the trade wars and only had one year because of boardroom battles. Hard to judge.

Sproule - 4 .........  see Patterson.

Jewell - 4 .......... Agree with Ramps. Came back for a 2nd effort but didnt have the players this time around. The club was broke.

KB - 4 ............. more out of necessity because we were broke brought in a bunch of kids which ended up a positive. Players weren't fit though (U19s were fitter).

Jeans - 3 ............. as Ramps said he was past his peak because of ill health.

Northey - 7 ............. restored the spirit in the team and got the best out of the players available.

Walls - 2 ............. disasterous appointment by a board desperate to replace Northey with a name. Too many people hated him because he was Carlton man.

Giesch - 2 ............. spud of a coach and nothing has changed since he moved to the umpires' coach. Traded away good draft picks for recycled players.

Frawley - 3 ............ Had just one gameplan which was worked out by opposition clubs by his 3rd year. Sorry the 2001 finals doesn't excuse either the decimation of our list trading for recycled top ups a la Voss at Brisbane. We are only now slowly recovering.

Wallace - 3 ............ Flipped flop between rebuilding and winning from the start and did half a job at both. Gameplan was flawed. Thanks for Lids, Jack, Cotch and Vickery. At least left us with a young core to build around.

Hardwick - 7 ........... early days still with a young side but hard to fault him at this stage.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
Bourke - 5 (had a great team got to a grand final but came up short)
Patterson - 4 (came with expectation but couldnt do it)
Jewell - 4 (came back for a 2nd effort but didnt have the players this time)
KB - 7 (was on the right path before being sacked)
Jeans - 4 (wasnt the allan jeans who coached at hawthorn and not his fault he was unwell)
Northey - 7 (created high emotion and got the club firing)
Walls - 2 (wrong coach for our club)
Giesch - 3 (Richmond needs a certain character to be coach, he didnt have it)
Frawley - 5 (did better than I expected but I didnt rate him to be honest)
Wallace - 3 (went of the rails after the 2nd year the last 2 years was a waste)
Hardwick - 7 (well and truly on the right path, probably for the first time since Bartlett, needs to continue but a real good start)

* Paul Sproule I rated as a coach and I would have given hima 5/6 out of 10. Sproule wasnt listed in the list.

Just about bang on I reckon 10'er  :thumbsup

the claw

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »
just on bourke. imo he took a very old list or best 20  to a gf. it was a team having its last throw of the dice. the average age of our losing gf team was 27 and the average amount of games played was 128.no surprise it was all down hill from there we had to go thru a rebuild which never came.

in the last 30 yrs no team has won a gf with a team averaging more than 27 yrs of age. in fact in the last 30 yrs only 3 teams have made a gf averaging 27yrs of age plus.

brisbanes team of 2004 averaged 27yrs and 166 games they too got beaten and then went down hill. 2004 was like richmond in 82 good side still but too many on the down hill spiral the last throw of the dice.

the only other team in the last 30 yrs to make a gf averaging 27yrs or more was stkilda and you guessed it it was last yr. their gf side averaged 137 games.

just  a few  points of interest.
 the youngest premiership side in the last 30 yrs was carlton in 1987 they averaged 24yrs and just 70 games. the baby bombers of 1993 averaged 24 yrs and 86 games.
the youngest team to make a gf in the last 30 yrs was melbourne in 1988 at 23yrs and just 60 games needless to say hawthorn took them to the cleaners in the big one to the tune of 96 points.

imo the true test of a good coach is not so much winning a premiership but having the ability to regrow and replenish your list so success can be sustained. hawthorns 7 gfs in a row and 8 out of 9 gf appearances really is phenominal.

of that list while a richmond coach. northey was the best coach we had imo.for reasons  i will go into later. just some interesting facts. i wonder what the average age/games  of our best 22 is will have to look into it.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 07:38:21 PM »
Bourke 6
Patterson 1
Jewell 1
KB 1
Jeans 1
Northey 7
Walls 1
Giesch 0
Frawley 1
Wallace 1
Hardwick 9 so far but would be a 6 overall at this stage

FNM

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
Bourke - 3 ......Apparently got the players to write reports like they were at school which is part of the reason players left (as well as $$$).

Favoured Catholics too I believe and frowned on those that weren't.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »
KB 4- Great player but not a great coach
Jeans 4-didn't have the cattle not entirely his fault.
Northey 9- brilliant coach very bad decision to get rid of him
Walls 0- terrible coach had a terrible effect on club
Giesch 1- better than Walls but not much
Frawley 4-good player but not a great coach.
Wallace 1- another coach who set about almost destroying the club
Hardwick 9- so far I have liked what I have seen of him

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 04:19:54 PM »
bloody hopeless the lot of them & Northey was an a-hole
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »
Northey 9- brilliant coach very bad decision to get rid of him

We didn't get rid of him, he walked.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
To be fair we were chasing Sheedy during the year that Northey was coaching. Don't really blame him for walking.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 10:00:30 PM »
Bourke - 6 got us to a GF

Patterson - 1 not sure why we got him TBH

Jewell - 1

KB - 6.5 did well with little or no resources. Was playing kids and showed we were on the right track = Mother's Day massacre anyone  :bow

Jeans - 0.5 massive mistake by the Club. Sent us backwards IMHO

Northey - 7 would have got an 8 but he shafted us for more $$$ from Brisbane when he had a contract

Walls - 1 -why

Giesch - 5 tried hard but lost the players who then shafted him  ;D

Frawley - 6 only because he's the last bloke to get us the finals, pity he thought we were closer to a flag than actually were

Wallace - 4 the original idea was fine, the execution over the journey was the problem  :rollin

Hardwick - 7 for now, gotta hope in 5-6 years time we are saying 8 or 9

*** Sproule - hard to guage - reckon he was going to be tough but reasonable coach, got shafted in the politics of the club and he deserved better
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

the claw

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 10:06:30 PM »
To be fair we were chasing Sheedy during the year that Northey was coaching. Don't really blame him for walking.
probably just a typo or even me not comprhending. but that should be years not yr swooper had us for 3 yrs and a bloody big chunk  of the 95 prelim team he either traded for or drafted. to top that off a lot of them were nothing but foot soldiers but they fit into his team style if you like.

my understanding is swooper wanted some security and asked for a one yr extension. he probably asked for this because they were chasing sheedy. sort of makes sense.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 11:43:38 PM »
Sorry I know he coached us longer than a year
I probably confused myself by meaning that we were chasing Sheedy in the year Northey took us to finals

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 10:48:25 AM »
Hardwick
Northey
Jewell
Bourke
KB
Jeans
Giesch
Patterson