Author Topic: On The Clock: Richmond Draft Preview ... (SEN)  (Read 908 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
On The Clock: Richmond Draft Preview ... (SEN)
« on: November 12, 2015, 10:28:04 PM »
On The Clock: Richmond Draft Preview

SEN
12 Nov 2015, 01:09PM

After three consecutive first-final exits, Richmond under coach Damien Hardwick is under pressure to finally take the next step. A good outcome at the draft will only aid their cause.

The Tigers enter the 2015 draft with selections 12, 52, 85 and 92 and could look to fill a few needs that currently appear evident such as a small forward, an inside midfielder and a developing ruckman.

SEN Inside Football's draft expert Brett Anderson takes a look at a few players who may be on the club's radar.

Callum AH CHEE
South Fremantle | 9/10/97 | Ht: 181 | Wt: 72
“Callum is a smooth mover who has very clean hands and works really well both ways. Got the ability to take a big mark. He’s the younger brother of Brendon (Port Adelaide) and has predominantly played half forward this year but can play up the ground. After the state under 18 matches he came straight into our senior side and I’d be surprised if he didn’t go top 20.” – South Fremantle football manager David Depane

Jade GRESHAM
Northern Knights | 24/8/97 | Ht: 178 | Wt: 77
“Jade is a decorated young player. He’s played Vic Metro; he’s got MVP for Vic Metro and All-Australian, then he’s also won our best and fairest as well at club level playing 11-12 games because of Vic Metro commitments. This year he just dominated at the Knights and consistently drove the ball inside 50. His greatest trait is that he can play both inside and outside – he’s got a brilliant sidestep and he can kick goals. He’s got a bit of that Brent Harvey and ironically, his father played in back-to-back flags at the Knights – ’95, ‘96 – and he played one year with Boomer in the ’95 premiership.” – Northern Knights’ talent manager Peter Kennedy

Rhys MATHIESON
Geelong Falcons | 10/1/97 | Ht: 186 | Wt: 82
“Rhys is an inside midfielder and I still think he has a lot of improvement in his game. Really good at winning the footy inside the contest, is a great competitor who plays to win but I feel like there are so many more elements that can become part of his game. Can go forward and kick goals but when he develops his bigger picture of the game he’ll become a better player. I can see his game improving markedly when he gets to an AFL club.” – Geelong Falcons’ coach Andy Allthorpe

Blake HARDWICK

Eastern Ranges | 5/2/97 | Ht: 181 | Wt: 79
“Dimma could be anything. He could be Mark LeCras versus Jamie Elliott, but probably have a bit more to him that could be able to push up through the midfield as well. He’s super powerful, super quick. If you play a small on him and he’ll sit on their head. You put a tall on him and he’ll just kill him at ground level, cause he’s so dynamic and quick in that first five metres, and he’s a really nice set shot. He’s still got to keep doing the work and making sure he’s able to get up through the midfield, but when he’s in and around the contest and the ball is in his immediate area he’s competitive by nature and he understands the game so well that he wins enough of his own footy to be able to go through there in bursts.” – Eastern Ranges’ talent manager Len Villani

Mitch KING

Murray Bushrangers | 1/1/97 | Ht: 200 | Wt: 92
“Mitch is a 200cm ruckman who came off an ACL injury last year and came in took over the No.1 ruck mantle the instant he got back after the game in Darwin. His tap work was superb and really helped out midfield and his hit-outs to advantage were top four in the TAC Cup and he only played nine or so games. Very good mark and runs well. Will just get better now he has that year under his belt following the knee injury. A great kid and a great character.” – Murray Bushrangers’ coach Darren Ogier

Josh PORTER
Werribee | 26/4/94 | Ht: 195 | Wt: 98
“The ex-Murray Bushranger and Wangaratta Magpie must have taken a few eyes when he played in the Young Guns game, for he was a late call-up to the state combine. The key forward is deceptively quick, likes to hurl himself at marking contests and is eager to apply defensive pressure.” – VFL expert Paul Amy

Read more at: http://www.sen.com.au/news/11-15/on-the-clock-richmond-draft-preview#owHLZy1TYR4YgUeJ.99

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: On The Clock: Richmond Draft Preview ... (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:23:34 AM »
Josh PORTER
Werribee | 26/4/94 | Ht: 195 | Wt: 98
“The ex-Murray Bushranger and Wangaratta Magpie must have taken a few eyes when he played in the Young Guns game, for he was a late call-up to the state combine. The key forward is deceptively quick, likes to hurl himself at marking contests and is eager to apply defensive pressure.” – VFL expert Paul Amy

More about Porter here:

Tiger on draft radar
By Bradley Green
K-Rock
October 9, 2015

YOUNG Werribee forward Josh Porter is emerging as a smokey for this year’s AFL National Draft after scoring a late invite to Sunday’s state screening.

Porter has attracted interest from a couple of AFL clubs after an encouraging season at the Tigers where he overcame a pre-season knee injury to kick 20 goals from 12 matches in his second year at Avalon Airport Oval.

“It’s always a nice feeling to know you’re on someone’s radar,” Porter told K-ROCK Football.com.au

“I had a couple of games where I played pretty well and, as a young key forward, it takes you a while to find your feet but that gave me a bit of confidence (to know I was capable of stepping up a level).

“I even surprised myself with some of the things that I did.”

The 193cm mobile big man averaged just under 11 touches, 5.3 marks and 2.3 tackles a game. He credited forward coach Jacob Spolding for the improvement he made in his game in 2015.

“He (Spolding) worked with me individually and looking at vision and my leading patterns and also with my goal kicking.

“We’ve developed a routine and my goal kicking was pretty more accurate at the end of the year.

“I’ve learnt a lot about footy in the two years I’ve been at Werribee.”

It’s the second time that Porter has been invited to attend the Draft Combine – the other came in 2012 after his TAC Cup season at the Murray Bushrangers.

After he was overlooked in the draft that year, Porter spent 2013 playing at Wangaratta and represented the powerful Ovens & Murray league before heading to Avalon Airport Oval in 2014.

Werribee coach John Lamont believes the 20-year-old would appeal to some AFL clubs to play the role as the third tall forward, similar to Hawk Jack Gunston or Adelaide’s Tom Lynch.

“He’s really filling out,” Lamont said. “He’s going to end up being a big bloke and when he puts his hands up in the air, he’s well over two metres (tall).

“He jumps hard at the ball so I think he’s definitely going to generate some interest. If he tests well – if he runs close to three seconds for the 20m sprint and gets close to 13 on the beep test – then I think clubs will sit back and say `we can do a lot worse than put two or three years into this bloke.’

“He’s certainly got some attributes. He’s got deceptive speed, is prepared to tackle and chase and harass and he’s pretty good below his knees.

“No doubt he has impressed some people.”

Porter will join teammate Jake Wilson at the AFL Draft Combine State Screening.

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/tiger-on-radar/