Author Topic: Pre-game rituals (Herald-Sun)  (Read 433 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pre-game rituals (Herald-Sun)
« on: July 23, 2011, 03:54:29 PM »
RICHMOND: CHRIS NEWMAN

The habits: Jack Riewoldt always has to be last out of the rooms and last to step out on to the ground. I don't know why he does it. Occasionally, he'll belt out a tune in the rooms. I think that's just the way he gets himself up and about, whereas guys like Jake King like to get hit around on the head with the pads.

The ones to avoid: The blokes like Alex Rance and Matty White, they stick together, they're the mozzies of the group. You've got to try to separate yourself from them. That's how they get themselves up, they just joke around, they'll be having a laugh and doing whatever games they play.

The coach: "Dimma" (Damien Hardwick) doesn't really get involved too much pre-game. He sort of lets the assistants handle it. He's really calm, really focused and I think he tries to rub that off on the playing group and that works. We have one meeting with him and he's very clear and precise with his message.

The atmosphere: Pre-game mobility sessions are pretty important for the conditioning staff. They like to wrap those elastic bands around us. I think it's all about stimulation of the muscles and getting that going with some resistance. But it just looks ridiculous, especially for me because I'm bow-legged so it just doesn't work.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-truth-about-pre-game-rituals/story-e6frf9jf-1226100158938