Author Topic: AFL clubs to be forced to pay 100% of the salary cap (Australian)  (Read 1381 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL players to get all the money

Patrick Smith
    August 16, 2011

THE economics of AFL clubs will change forever and dramatically following the AFL's commitment to force clubs to pay 100 per cent of monies owed to footballers under the annual salary cap payments, this year set at $8.21m per club.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou told The Australian yesterday that the league supported wholeheartedly a demand by the players' union, the AFLPA, that clubs be stopped from economising on payments to players so they could fund other football initiatives or pay off debt.

The initiative is expected to be enshrined in the new collective bargaining agreement between the AFL and the players' union beginning next year.

The settlement of this issue between both the game's administrators and players is seen as an encouraging but not definitive movement to resolution of the drawn-out and, at times, volatile CBA negotiation.

For the AFL it serves two purposes. It will end the disparity of salary payments between rich and poor, weak and successful clubs and their players. And while Demetriou stressed the decision was not part of the equalisation formula under review by the league, it would help restrict the spiralling funds being directed to club football departments.

The minimum clubs must now allocate for player wages is 92.5 per cent of the salary limit set for a particular year. A base payment requirement was introduced in the 1998 CBA after Fitzroy, which was forced to merge with Brisbane Bears in 1996, had been paying as little as 70 per cent of the cap as it struggled to survive in the precarious environment of proposed mergers, relocation and closures. It was set then at 95 per cent and reduced further to 92.5 per cent in 2003.

At the time it was considered a worthwhile compromise as a clutch of clubs struggled to survive financially and it was deemed unfair that clubs with inferior lists should pay as much as the most talented.

But the desire for a full release of the salary cap payments has been on the AFLPA wishlist from early this year in negotiations of the new CBA. The AFLPA considers it unfair that teenagers by the luck of the draft could be sent to clubs with enough resources to fully pay their footballers or to others that by circumstance were forced to direct some player monies to other priorities.

"We both encourage and support the player desire to have all the money allocated under the salary cap end up directly with the players. It does not rule out clubs still paying 92.5 per cent of salaries going to players in wages but the other 7.5 per cent must end up with the players as well. It could be taken up in part by injury payments but whatever is left needs to go in additional services agreements (promotion/marketing contracts) or, say, superannuation. It is the players' money after all," Demetriou said.

"We put it before the chief executives at our latest meeting and the consensus was that it was a fair result," he said.

However the ramifications of the decision for club football departments remain unclear. Clubs have already begun manoeuvring for the introduction of free agency which comes into effect at the end of 2012 when it will be possible for clubs to access a limited number of players who have served eight or more years with one club.

Several clubs have front-ended or prepaid current contracts to allow room to recruit elite players released under free agency. While others have restricted player payments to push money into recruiting assistant and development coaches and increasing the medical staff.

In August, 2009, The Australian revealed exclusively that the AFL had begun to explore the intricate strategies which would ensure all clubs would have sufficient funds to pay for the minimum requirements of football departments. Part of that consideration had been to fund the total player payments for each club.

However, club chief executives confirm there has been a change in thinking at AFL level and they have been told that the salary cap will not be part of the formula to close the gap between the small and big spenders. The push from clubs now will be to ensure the league compensates them for not being able to shave money off the player bill.

One club football manager said: "There is enough time to readjust any contracts that need attention but it is imperative the clubs get extra money to take up the shortfall."

Demetriou would not confirm last night that the AFL had factored that into any new equalisation policy.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/afl-players-to-get-all-the-money/story-e6frg7mf-1226115499583

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
Re: AFL clubs to be forced to pay 100% of the salary cap (Australian)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
Greedy grab by the players. They can get their money but they are getting it out of the wrong bucket here.  Forcing a club to pay 100% isn't fair, I like the system where a club can pay I think 92.5. It's not always about clubs scrimping and saving, they should be able to pay for where a list is at (eg Richmond)and then leave themselves some room to expand if and when the players become better.
I don't like the idea of overpaying duds either, ala Jordie McMuffin earning $18,000 a game for Coburg.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 06:06:34 PM »
Agree DC. Paying 100% of the cap rewards mediocrity and hurts clubs rebuilding via youth. I'd even say 92.5% is too high and hurts clubs ability to rebuild. With such a young list in recent years we would have needed to bump up salaries of our more experienced players to meet the minimum (loading up early on their contracts). The only reason the 92.5% limit was brought in was to kill off Fitzroy so they couldn't just play kids on the cheap to linger on longer. I'd reduce to 80% minimum and this would give clubs with younger lists to have $$$ spare to poach quality experienced players to accelerate their rebuild and make them more competitive.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 06:28:47 PM »
I don't agree with it. I don't believe our players or port's and other's have players that deserve the same amount as collingwood or geelong players IMO.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 06:31:06 PM »
as it we have overpaid hacks just to reach the basement figure now.

As MT says, it will reward medicricy.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI