Author Topic: Chris Newman on SEN - May 7  (Read 652 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Chris Newman on SEN - May 7
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
Newman keeps shin up
By Ben Collins
afl.com.au
Mon 07 May, 2012

DESPITE initial concerns over a shin injury, Richmond captain Chris Newman has declared he will be fit for the Tigers' big clash with the Sydney Swans at the MCG on Saturday.

Newman received a knock to his left shin and hobbled from the field before half-time during his side's 37-point win over Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium on Sunday.

He returned after the break but had little impact.

Newman and Tigers medical staff became concerned because the shin on his preferred kicking leg immediately became swollen and bruised.

"I haven't seen (footage of) the incident but I think it was a boot or a clash of shins," he told SEN radio on Monday morning.

"It blew up into a big haematoma at the time and I got a little bit worried, and so did the staff on the bench.

"We wrapped it, and I think it's just a cork, but it was just really sore. Obviously I just battled through.

"I should be fine (for Saturday)."

Newman said it was important for the Tigers to continue to build momentum with a win over the Swans.

"It is a big game - they're in really good form as well and (we're) looking forward to the challenge," he said. "Obviously it's on our home deck so (we're) looking forward to getting as many Richmond supporters there as possible."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/135077/default.aspx