Author Topic: Tigers scout for the best to rebuild (Age)  (Read 1650 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers scout for the best to rebuild (Age)
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:42:49 AM »
Tigers scout for the best to rebuild
Michael Gleeson
The Age
May 11, 2012

Richmond is following the Sydney model to create a winning combination, writes Michael Gleeson.

RICHMOND and Melbourne for the past decade have been like Beirut — in a perpetual state of rebuilding.

Most recently the sides have tracked one another’s progress after finishing bottom together in 2009, the Demons just edging the Tigers out for the wooden spoon and with it the open choice of any teenager they wanted. In the years since they have followed one another around the ladder, never finishing more than a few places apart and never far from the bottom.

Melbourne started the process of rejuvenating its playing list sooner than Richmond, having finished bottom in 2008 when Richmond finished in the loveless ninth place — close to finals but still a long way from it.

But both teams understood that the bulk of their existing players were not going to be premiership players at their clubs so they set about constructing the teams that would win them a flag. The approach Richmond has taken in the past three years differs from the one Melbourne has adopted. It is premature to judge the success of either approach regardless of Melbourne’s as-yet winless season, but rather to acknowledge a difference of philosophy.

Melbourne has taken the classic youth-driven path of investing in the draft to stockpile talent, following what it considers the Geelong model. Richmond, partly due to a more limited access to the draft, has followed the model taken by Sydney, in keeping its best picks but also chasing some experienced players. The Swans have long believed they could not afford to bottom out so have not been as enamoured of untried youth. They have been more prepared to trade for bankable commodities (players of exposed assets and liabilities) and players who were at once still young in years but mature of body.

The Swans have cannily acquired Josh Kennedy, Shane Mumford, Ted Richards, Rhyce Shaw and Ben McGlynn. All of them were chased not just because they were available but because they served a specific purpose and were available because they were starved of opportunity at their clubs. The most outrageously successful of these is Kennedy.

This is the model Richmond adopted when coach Damien Hardwick arrived. When he walked in, Richmond had a batch of over 30s who all departed, and left behind a classroom of kids.

Richmond made another telling appointment in Blair Hartley (former Essendon opposition scout, then Port Adelaide recruiter) as the club’s ‘‘pro scout’’, or recruiter analysing other AFL, VFL and other state league lists. Other clubs had such a scout but not the Tigers.

The issue for Richmond — and one reason it was in a different situation to Melbourne, which had more of an even generational spread of older players — was that, also unlike Melbourne, it was going to be denied the best draft picks that had been available to other teams at ground zero and facing a rebuild. Richmond’s ground-zero moment coincided with the arrival of the expansion teams and the loss of the best draft picks. The classic youth rebuild was not available to the Tigers.

‘‘We were not going to be able to do the rebuild by just going to the draft all the time for 18-year-olds,’’ president Gary March said.

‘‘We are by no means saying we are there yet. But if you ask about rebuilding, we looked at our list when Damien came in and we knew we had a big hole in the players in their mid-20s, and there was a clear strategy from the footy department to bring in guys in the 22-25 bracket to complement the list.

‘‘Blair Hartley was a really important appointment for us and he and Craig Cameron went out and really looked at the players that were out there in that age bracket.’’

Ivan Maric, Shaun Grigg, Bachar Houli and Steven Morris have all been brought in to fill specific roles, and were available because of lack of opportunity. Maric had his best game yet last week as he delivers on the promise of being an honest competitor with known limitations. Grigg is a big-bodied, strong athlete with enormous aerobic ability who has an ability to find the ball. He can sit on a wing and collect 30 possessions instead of a 19-year-old gathering 15 and being buffeted.

Brad Miller was gone from Melbourne but taken by Richmond as a mature-aged rookie. In many ways he will be the classic ‘‘bridging player’’, but he has been a big body to help ease the burden on a young Ty Vickery and Jack Riewoldt.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-scout-for-the-best-to-rebuild-20120510-1yflz.html#ixzz1uTwJNnJl

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers scout for the best to rebuild (Age)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:34:09 AM »
...we looked at our list when Damien came in and we knew we had a big hole in the players in their mid-20s

The most telling thing about this is that when Wallace arrived he identified a similar problem and was supposed to rectify it.

5 years later.....massive, massive FAIL!
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
...we looked at our list when Damien came in and we knew we had a big hole in the players in their mid-20s

The most telling thing about this is that when Wallace arrived he identified a similar problem and was supposed to rectify it.

Wallace also said that we would not trade away first round draft picks which we didnt (except for the downgrade when we got Polak and Riewoldt).

What screwed Wallace up or didnt help his cause is that many of the picks that would be in that 22-27 year bracket never came on.

Delisting Rodan and trading out Sarge - again 2 playes in that age bracket...

From Lids's draft - gone are bling, patto, meyer and polo- 4 guys that would be in the age bracket now.
From 2005 - JON, Hughes etc from memory...
and the list goes on....

and dont start on the fact that we had Miller wearing all hats...

Benny G and Hardwick are on the same page here...our club looks so much better now than back then

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »

Wallace also said that we would not trade away first round draft picks which we didnt (except for the downgrade when we got Polak and Riewoldt).

What screwed Wallace up or didnt help his cause is that many of the picks that would be in that 22-27 year bracket never came on.

Delisting Rodan and trading out Sarge - again 2 playes in that age bracket...

From Lids's draft - gone are bling, patto, meyer and polo- 4 guys that would be in the age bracket now.
From 2005 - JON, Hughes etc from memory...
and the list goes on....

and dont start on the fact that we had Miller wearing all hats...

Benny G and Hardwick are on the same page here...our club looks so much better now than back then
I agree Tigger. Our club is much better having Gale on board. He has vision and Hardwick knows what's required. I just hope they continue to raise the standard in all departments on and off the field so we never go backwards again.
As for recycling players I think it's absolutely critical that you only take players from clubs that have great development programs and great culture. That seems to be the winning formula as far as I can see. 

Tigger is on fire. 2 posts and spot on again. 100% efficiency so far. Gun pickup is Tigger for OER.  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 03:17:42 PM »
Tigra, was speaking to a pies and sainters mate over lunch today. It is interesting to get non-RFC lovers view of us from afar.

Both agree that the tigers look like the real deal.  Proper things in place.  Good administration.  Good coach. Developing list. Both said it looked like we are seriously on the improve and not another false dawn.

And as a richmond supporter that is what it feels like too.

Good administrations win premierships, and that is what the tigers are starting to look like.

Gale is quite brilliant.  You can now understand why he has been appointed CEO.  The funding of the footy department is crucial to our success.  He hasnt sat around for 5 years then tried to find funds.  The FTF was launched and even if 6million isnt raised but only 4.5 million is...that is a lot better than before.  Less debt and and fully functioning footy department with a development program in place.
Recruiting is now far more professional.  Blair Hartley appears to be doing an excellent job in finding unloved talent at other clubs.  Houli has added something.  Grigg this year has stepped up.  IMaric has been a real find.  Probably moe than just a workhorse and competitive in the ruck.  Miller is serviceable until a kid comes and takes his spot.

Then you have the coaches: Ross Smith appears to have done enormous things to our defensive structure all around the ground.

We are not there yet - and there will be the odd failure along the line - but the future looks alot better in May 2012 than it did in May 2009 or even in 2010 when we were 0-9 with a % of about 49% and people commenting that we were the worst team since Fitzroy's last year.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »
On coaches, we lost a forwards coach at the end of last year, I was wondering if this has unsettled the way the forwards are operating, I thought he was doing an awesome and it was only injuries that knocked JR over last year.  This year it seems like the whole forward line is not functioning as well as it has in the past few years.  Any takers?
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
On coaches, we lost a forwards coach at the end of last year, I was wondering if this has unsettled the way the forwards are operating, I thought he was doing an awesome and it was only injuries that knocked JR over last year.  This year it seems like the whole forward line is not functioning as well as it has in the past few years.  Any takers?

:thumbsup

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »

:thumbsup :thumbsup makes sense to me

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »

:thumbsup :thumbsup makes sense to me
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"