Author Topic: Tigers' Great character test: Cotchin (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2056 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers' Great character test: Cotchin (Herald-Sun)
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »
Tigers' Great character test

Rod Nicholson
    June 11, 2012 12:50PM

RICHMOND star midfielder Trent Cotchin considers Saturday’s match against Greater Western Sydney as "a test of character" that will help determine the club's progress towards finals football.

And he is confident the club will be boosted after a minor spate of ailments and suspension depleted the team during last week’s shock 12-point loss to Fremantle.

Cotchin, who has overcome a “dead arm” which restricted him last week, expects gun full-forward Jack Riewoldt to be fit to play after he injured his ankle in the match, with midfielder Nathan Foley also hopeful of returning after a minor leg injury.

Small forward Jake King is also available after a one week suspension for tripping St Kilda forward Stephen Milne.

“Jack was riding a bike this morning and I think he will be OK. Foley is progressing well. How much he gets done (at training this week) will determine his chances of return but we are hopeful,” Cotchin said.

Cotchin considers Saturday’s match a vital step in the Tigers quest to return to finals football.

“We always work towards the last part of the season, but we have to concentrate on this week. We are working on four-week blocks,” the 22 year old vice captain explained.

After starting the season 1-3, they added 2-2 and after beating Hawthorn and St Kilda, the loss to Freo means the Tigers’ latest “quarter” is 2-1, with a chance to make it 3-1.

However they have come off four victories in five weeks - against Port Adelaide, Sydney, Hawthorn and St Kilda - before falling against Fremantle.

They are in 11th position with a 5-6 record and need to defeat the Giants to enhance their hopes of a final-eight berth.

Cotchin said the Tigers failed to attack the ball hard enough against Fremantle.

"We pride ourselves on contested footy, which the most disappointing thing to come out of the game,” he said.

He said the Tigers would not underestimate the Giants.  "They're a really good contested team. It's going to be pretty tough. We've got to make sure we're harder at the contest, unlike our performance last week," he said.

Cotchin said his own form was good and that he has overcome the “dead arm” that curtailed his activities against Freo but still didn’t stop him from being the Tigers' best player.

Cotchin received a knock just above his elbow, in the area where a tendon connects the bicep to the forearm, during the second quarter.

"I just went to tackle and somehow collided with [Hayden] Ballantyne's body in a way that made my arm go half-dead," he said.

"It was really painful. I wasn't sure what was wrong with it. I thought it was a cork initially - because I had no strength, I was a bit worried about it.

"But once it settled and I got back into the swing of things it started to come alive again. It felt OK towards the end of the game."

Cotchin ended the game with 30 disposals and nine clearances.  The Tigers have a bye next round.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/tigers-great-character-test/story-e6frf9jf-1226391159046

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Tigers' Great character test: Cotchin (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »

Love the last line.

Morons these reporters.

:lol
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »
Not the first time this year playing GWS has been called a 'bye' though  :eyebrow

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »
Dr Larkins was going on saying that Cotch had a crack in his Humerus bone.  :wallywink

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 07:10:37 PM »
Dr Larkins was going on saying that Cotch had a crack in his Humerus bone.  :wallywink

If he did indeed get that from a source at the club then I'll take it as given that Cotchin has been planned to rest against GWS all along.
But he probably made it up to get his name in the paper.  ::)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »
Season defining this week ....seriously

Wmust win of the season is shot
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »

WP i would think our top 8 chances are very very slim

People also think we are certainties to beat Nought, Port, Buldogs or did everyone forget them.

Best not to expect much in terms of final 8 and they might surprise.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »

Agree how much we have learnt as a club will come in a performance after a loss when we were expected to win. As far as I am concerned losing this Saturday makes the good will they have achieved in the first 10 weeks null and void and flies in the face of the disappointment they showed after narrow losses to the top sides earlier in the year. It's falling back on old bad habits.

I sincerely would not want the cynics to think the club has achieved 50000 members for the first time and the foot is now off the pedal. You wouldn't blame them for 30 years of failure.

Find a way and win Tigers it is as simple as that. Nothing less than a win will suffice this week. :thumbsup
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:10:17 PM by Tuckerbag »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »

People also think we are certainties to beat Nought, Port, Buldogs or did everyone forget them.

daniel, I've always said that to make the 8 this season we needed everything to go right and I've also been very clear in that I doubted we would make finals this year.

Just think to have any hope at all we must win this week

And TBBH if we don't win this week then we simply don't deserve to play finals end of story

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:47:30 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

10 FLAGS

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:02:40 AM »

Agree ladder predictor predicts us a 9th place finish out on percentage. We have to try and beat the Giants by at least 20 goals.